Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2008, 10:02 AM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Hulk - '96 Ford Aspire Base
90 day: 51.64 mpg (US)

Black Hole - '06 Kia Rio LX
90 day: 39.16 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to steensn
This 3% is based on real data, I do not know what the opposing view on this issue has to argue against it but saying "nuh uh." I don't see any conflicting data on this.

2006 Kia Rio

1996 Ford Aspire

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-07-2008, 11:11 AM   #32 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Thanks for calling it, lazarus. Feel free to close the thread if people can't restrain themselves.

People: avoid the purely political stuff. I realize this thread links politics and efficiency. Just asking you to show some restraint.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget

Old 08-08-2008, 11:34 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
McCain has distracted you from the *rest* of Obama's plan...

Hey folks,

Does anybody think that Barack Obama's only point in his energy plan is to inflate tires?

Quote:
Provide Short-term Relief to American Families

• Enact a Windfall Profits Tax to Provide a $1,000 Emergency Energy Rebate to American Families.
• Crack Down on Excessive Energy Speculation.
• Swap Oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to Cut Prices.

Learn More...

Eliminate Our Need for Middle Eastern and Venezuelan Oil within 10 Years

• Increase Fuel Economy Standards.
• Get 1 Million Plug-In Hybrid Cars on the Road by 2015.
• Create a New $7,000 Tax Credit for Purchasing Advanced Vehicles.
• Establish a National Low Carbon Fuel Standard.
• A “Use it or Lose It” Approach to Existing Oil and Gas Leases.
• Promote the Responsible Domestic Production of Oil and Natural Gas.

Learn More...

Create Millions of New Green Jobs

• Ensure 10 percent of Our Electricity Comes from Renewable Sources by 2012, and 25 percent by 2025.
• Deploy the Cheapest, Cleanest, Fastest Energy Source – Energy Efficiency.
• Weatherize One Million Homes Annually.
• Develop and Deploy Clean Coal Technology.
• Prioritize the Construction of the Alaska Natural Gas Pipeline.

Learn More...

Reduce our Greenhouse Gas Emissions 80 Percent by 2050

• Implement an economy-wide cap-and-trade program to reduce greenhouse gas emissions 80 percent by 2050.
• Make the U.S. a Leader on Climate Change.

Learn More...

Barack Obama | New Energy for America

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Old 08-09-2008, 02:11 AM   #34 (permalink)
Eco Curious

There is a legitimate argument about the right versus the left when it comes to petroleum and conservation though.

The right has historically ridiculed the left for calling for conservation, and this round of politics is no different.

Jimmy Carter was thoroughly ridiculed for his energy policies even though he faced an energy crisis that was 2-4 times as severe as the current energy crisis. A lot of people here might not remember 1977, I do. If this were 1977 gas would cost $8 a gallon and most gas stations would be out of gas.

Let's review his energy policy "failures" that made his Presidency to be widely considered a failure by the right.

He said that the spike in oil prices was temporary and the reduction of oil consumption by the US would drive the cost back down. He was right. That happened back then and is happening now.

He said that military action in the Middle East would only drive oil prices higher. He was right. Both Iraq wars have lead to higher oil prices.

Here is what "hung" him. He said that the American people should turn their thermostats down 2 degrees in order to conserve energy and reduce demand for foreign oil. That was blasphemy at the time.

We had won WW2 but had lost Korea and Vietnam and we were still in denial. America still thought that we could fix this problem militarily. America still thinks this way even though we can't control Iraq or Afghanistan much less the other 90% of the Middle East.

He said that the way to relieve our dependence on foreign countries beyond our control was to require 30mpg cars, double pane windows and flourescent light bulbs. At that point he became a laughing stock - a joke. That joke doesn't seem so funny anymore, does it?

Of course Al Gore is a joke too and should be ridiculed as well. The future and the past is only 4-8 years long and it is blasphemy to cast a longer gaze on our country and our history and our future.

Preaching conservation is a rocky road in America. The right doesn't like it and they will ridicule and dismiss anyone who does so - even though time is historically on their side.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:41 AM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I think if we want a president a good president in office its not gonna be by some miracle but by hard work and determination. Point sleepless nights fight the system that for 8 years MAY have or have not abused our system of justice. Do I feel bush was a good president no... Do I vote no... Now to say picking barack or mccain there both similar... Just one is a Young Black charasmatic senator that had a tuff upbringing and Mccain a layed back old White POW Arizonian senator... Remember people they only get 4 years in office and then another election think wisely.... Pick safely and responsibly

Old 08-09-2008, 03:18 AM   #36 (permalink)
Eco Curious

This is not supposed to be a political thread, I may have already crossed that line.

Unlike in years past, I'm OK with either of the candidates winning the Presidential election.

Things are good today.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:14 AM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Truck - '97 Ford Ranger
90 day: 30.32 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I'm not going to complain. If gas went from $4 to $10/gal. it would cost me an extra $150 per month. I can handle it. In fact I welcome it.
it would cost me more money but i think it would make people drive waaaaaaaaay better (and cost me at least an hour's worth of pay to get to work, and would force me to purchase a hybrid or ev). I think they should add a substantial tax to every gallon and put it in a "Renewable energy fund" and use that large quantity of money (billions of dollars a year) and give incentives to electric vehicles, solar panels, wind turbines, etc. but whoever implemented it would be hated because people like to spend less money now and cant see far into the future.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hi,

I don't think age matters very much -- either way. Judgment, curiosity, life experiences, empathy, leadership, the ability to understand the root of a issue -- these are things that matter.

Lincoln was 52 and inexperienced in national politics.
Kennedy was 43 and came from a position of relative privilege.
Clinton was 46 and came from an average background.
Grant was 46 and he had lots of military experience.

List of United States Presidents by age - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Average "age at ascension" is 54 years old. Youngest is 43; oldest is 69.
Obama will be 48 which is 6 years younger than average, and McCain would be 72, which is the oldest by a little less that 3 years. So what?

Back to energy policy -- has anybody actually read the PDF of Obama's energy policy I linked to?
Where is John McCain's energy policy?

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Closed Thread  Post New Thread