Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2010, 06:36 PM   #971 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Mine hasn't arrived yet, but I'm wondering anyway... is there a way to program it to display speed squared? Actually, kinetic energy in kJ, which is speed squared times a constant.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-10-2010, 03:25 AM   #972 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I haven't placed the order yet, but I was wondering why I need to use the old Arduino 0.11 software, instead of the current (as of this writing) 0.21?
Can the code itself be updated to work with the latest Arduino software?
Old 11-10-2010, 03:28 AM   #973 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Ok, thx, I think you need a 20mhz crystal plus some other hardware changes if you want to use the latest cpp file without making any code changes.

If starting from an arduino, there is an archived version of the original arduino code here (which probably needs an archived version of arduino ide):
opengauge.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/mpguino/mpguino.pde
Is there any way someone smarter than me could update the code to work with the most recent Arduino and post it?
Old 11-12-2010, 01:55 PM   #974 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ford Focus - '12 Ford Focus 5 Dr - SE
90 day: 37.36 mpg (US)
This will work on a 1990 CRX HF right? I have done a search and do not get a definative answer. I also have a 2001 BMW 325xi (don't need one for that) But, I am a little disappointed at the MPG out of the CRX. I drove the BMW over the same roads using the fuel mileage gauge incorporated by BMW in the speedo to see how to keep gas mileage up. I have been driving my CRX all wrong for mileage. This MPGuino could give me more insight into how to drive the CRX. Also, have you guys ever seen the trip computers on some of the BMWs? Old and new. They give instantanious mileage/average speed and miles left based on the gas the car has in the tank. They have a module that plugs into the old computers that holds all of the settings that is sound like need to be programmed into the MPGuino.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #975 (permalink)
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
If your CRX HF is Fuel Injected and has a Vehicle Speed Sensor feeding to the ECU, you should be set. If you don't have the VSS signal, you may still be able to get a bicycle speedometer and fake something up, but you really need to have Fuel Injection.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #976 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooluser23 View Post
I haven't placed the order yet, but I was wondering why I need to use the old Arduino 0.11 software, instead of the current (as of this writing) 0.21?
Can the code itself be updated to work with the latest Arduino software?
I'm having the same question. Can the code be updated?
Is there anyone we should contact?

Is the Wiki just out of date?
Old 12-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #977 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Silver Bullet - '00 Pontiac Firefly 4 door model
90 day: 12.74 mpg (US)
How accurate is the actual speed compared to the stock spedometer ? Mine is very inaccurate and the odometer is broken, so i'm looking for a proper replacement
Old 12-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #978 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sedan - '95 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 50.67 mpg (US)

Optima SX - '12 Kia Optima SX
90 day: 33.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilverBullet View Post
How accurate is the actual speed compared to the stock spedometer ? Mine is very inaccurate and the odometer is broken, so i'm looking for a proper replacement
If it is truly your speedometer that is broken, then it should be pretty accurate after you calibrate it (which might be kind of hard unless you have a GPS to use and an odometer). But if it is actually the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) that is causing your speedometer/odometer to not function correctly then the MPGuino will not be much help because it gets it's signal from that same VSS.

I am within 0.2 miles on an over 400 mile tank with what my odometer reads compared to the MPGuino. So I am WELL within a less than 0.1% error on my odometer reading.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #979 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Silver Bullet - '00 Pontiac Firefly 4 door model
90 day: 12.74 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben98gs View Post
If it is truly your speedometer that is broken, then it should be pretty accurate after you calibrate it (which might be kind of hard unless you have a GPS to use and an odometer). But if it is actually the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) that is causing your speedometer/odometer to not function correctly then the MPGuino will not be much help because it gets it's signal from that same VSS.

I am within 0.2 miles on an over 400 mile tank with what my odometer reads compared to the MPGuino. So I am WELL within a less than 0.1% error on my odometer reading.
It's just the cable-driven speedo, so the VSS should have no effect on the speedo and in fact seems like a good idea to me. Does anyone have an opinion on this unit here ?

GPS Head Up Display, GPS Receiver, Speed, Bluetooth on eBay.ca (item 140463312111 end time 06-Jan-11 02:57:32 EST)
Old 12-12-2010, 08:46 AM   #980 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

GASLICKA - '92 honda civic vx
looking for mpguino for sale, for my 92 vx and some installation for dummies instructions

Reply  Post New Thread