Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2008, 05:41 AM   #761 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Can you clarify, if you plug it back into the usb it works fine?

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-23-2008, 10:30 AM   #762 (permalink)
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
The way I found out that I had a bad solder was by hooking it up and wiggling components around. I had a bad solder on one component, and now everything works. This only fixed an intermittent problem, so may not apply.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:28 PM   #763 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
It works fine with the usb plugged in although I took it in the van with me and it's not getting any data. I'm not powering them (usb and 12v) at the same time, just the data wires.

Why do I get continuity from the injector data RJ11 wire to D1? That's crazy talk! . D1 should be getting the 12v+ If you reverse the rj11 in the diagram it all make sense. And I'm getting continuity to the ground from the RJ11 to what should be the diode and resistor for the injector

I think either the board was etched wrong or the RJ11 wires are assigned wrong in the instructions. (or I'm going nuts ) If you look at the male RJ11 symbol on the diagram, the 12v+ is on #3 not #2. On the guino it ends up correct to the drawing but the board sends the wires to the wrong components. 12V+ goes to the injector circuit, 12V- goes to the VSS, VSS goes to the 12V ground etc.

Do I risk reversing them myself?

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #764 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

WOOT!

I was right. I reversed the RJ11 wires. Red to 12v+ and black to 12v-, plugged her in and she works!

Should someone inform Fundamental logic? My only question is whether there is such a thing as a crossover RJ11 cord which would be the only other explanation.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:30 AM   #765 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

You must be joking - '97 Subaru Impreza Sport
Hi Guys,

I was googling for some info on mpg metering in non-OBD cars and found this thread. I posted a link from ImprezaSport.net

I know nothing about the *duino modules so I need to do some background reading. They seem to be some sort of programmable i/o controller. If I can work out what is needed I may have a go. The basic idea looks simple but a few people have added comments about protecting the circuit and vehicle wiring.

Also, aesthetics is important in my car so it would have to look the part. I wonder if it would fit in a standard gauge pod that could be fitted to the Impreza a-pillar ?

This project is genious, well done to those involved.

ps can it handle Imp Gal. and Imp Miles instead of the US versions ?

Last edited by scubascooby; 11-26-2008 at 12:10 PM..
Old 11-26-2008, 12:20 PM   #766 (permalink)
EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubascooby View Post
...can it handle Imp Gal. and Imp Miles instead of the US versions ?
Sure can, you just adjust for that in your scale factor numbers. dcb (the genius you referred to) has made this very open source, so if you preferred L/km you could go in and figure out a way to do that, too.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:22 PM   #767 (permalink)
EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange4boy View Post
My only question is whether there is such a thing as a crossover RJ11 cord which would be the only other explanation.
I don't know anything about that, but you can unplug your cord and look at the two ends... you should be able to see the colors through the clear end and see if the colors match up. It could very easily be that there is a cross over cord, I really don't know, but it's easy enough to check.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #768 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

This cord is all white and there are no colours visible but from the instructions for the wiring on spiffie the male end looks like this. facing the contacts, cord towards you,
this is the female to board config:12V-, 12V+, injector, VSS
this is the cord: VSS, Injector,12V+,12V-

I'ts easy to fix by swapping wires but the instructions should be right.

I'll test the cord later to see if it's crossing over. I did come with my mac for using the fax function although I've never heard of one.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:42 PM   #769 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

You must be joking - '97 Subaru Impreza Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt View Post
Sure can, you just adjust for that in your scale factor numbers. dcb (the genius you referred to) has made this very open source, so if you preferred L/km you could go in and figure out a way to do that, too.

So this has to be done in the code uploaded to the mpguino, it's not configurable from the finished device via the 3 buttons ?

I'm not a big fan of C, probably my least favourite language.

Last edited by scubascooby; 11-27-2008 at 04:51 AM..
Old 11-26-2008, 05:49 PM   #770 (permalink)
EcoModder

Nope, all the alterations are able to be made from the MPGuino its self. In the setup screens you can change the usec/gal (microseconds per gallon) and vss (vehicle speed sensor) readings. If you want to adjust them to imperial gallons and imperial miles the MPGuino doesn't care... to it they are just numbers. There is also a kit, but last I knew they were on backorder. You can get a lot more information in an organized fashion at the wiki.