Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2008, 03:00 PM   #741 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

El Camrino - '90 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.47 mpg (US)
Camry numbers updated (finally) on the wiki. This is the first true calibration tank (well as true as it could get because it reset 3 miles into it). But, the distance is now more accurate and I'll know about the tank fuel used at the next fillup. I won't remove the "still calibrating asterisks" until I get 3 or so consistent tanks of data. Not sure if any other 'guinoers have the 3s-fe camry, but hope that helps.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-13-2008, 08:25 PM   #742 (permalink)
Modding for Eris

SilverCivic - '08 Honda Civic
90 day: 28.69 mpg (US)
Stupid question here, but is it possible to calibrate the MPGuino in metric units? L/100km (or even Km/L)

MPG doesn't really mean much to me.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:54 PM   #743 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Not in stock form,
but you can certainly calibrate the fuel usage in liters and the mileage in kilometers. Just pretend that it says liters instead of gallons and kilometers instead of miles.

Then all your usage will be in terms of K/L

Then add a function to convert k/l to l/100k and wrap all the displayed mpg values in it. I can take a stab at that if nobody else wants to.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:50 AM   #744 (permalink)
Modding for Eris

SilverCivic - '08 Honda Civic
90 day: 28.69 mpg (US)
I wouldn't mind having a crack at it myself, but I don't have any code-fu belts and I haven't got a guino to test it on right now.

I was going to buy an iduino kit but with the exchange rate as it is now it'll cost me nearly double what it would have cost two months ago!

Old 10-15-2008, 02:21 PM   #745 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Acura Integra numbers in the wiki. They're based on one tank, but the mileage was already pretty close, so that should be good. I'll tweak the values if I find they change on subsequent fillups.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:01 PM   #746 (permalink)
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
Do you guys think it would be useful to have an additional column in the wiki's "table of car settings" for "final gear ratio adjustments"? A lot of us are running different transmissions/tire sizes that affect the numbers.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:26 AM   #747 (permalink)
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
What happened to the MPGuino wiki?
Old 10-31-2008, 10:31 AM   #748 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

An automated spambot from a Netherlands ip keeps trashing it. The guys are working on it.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:53 AM   #749 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

This is my first actual post so Hi! to everybody.

I've been following this thread for a while now and I'm planning to build something similar to MPGuino (the main reasons, too much time and a litres/(100 Km) "european" presentation instead of MPG).

To the point... I've been thinking for three days now what's the purpose of the 5.1 V zeners in the VSS and injector inputs.

At first I thought it was a "voltage regulator" configuration. The idea is, Vin is 11-14 V, but the zener limits it to 5.1 V, a somewhat valid TTL "high" level, so the input pin reads a "1".

However, a zener MUST have a minimum inverse current to work properly, a 5.1 zener, about 50 mA. The 100k resistor limits the current to (13 V - 5 V = 8 V; 8V / 100k = 0.08 mA), a fairly lower value than the ~50 mA required. In theory, the zener would not give the 5.1 V but another value between that and 0 V.

What I'm missing? Maybe it's there for surge protection? Then how is the level conversion done?

Also, anyway, why are we not using a more "normative" input level conversion, like this ones (link below), suggested in the Arduino website?

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/upl..._4_arduino.pdf

Please, tell me! I need to sleep!

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2008, 03:45 AM   #750 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
From my understanding, the zeners operate low on the "knee" at low currents, holding the voltage below 5.1 volts. It was tested and the injector'vss signals at the pin looked fine with an oscilloscope, as far as I can tell. The Zener is cheap, simple, and effective at forward and reverse voltage protection, and fairly common "normative?" practice.

If it aint broke why fix it? I tried a transistor circuit originally, didn't work the first time, and I want as many folks as possible to be able to get it working the first time. There's no reason an experienced person cannot embellish the interface or even the power supply or??? But my philosophy is simpler is better, especially with months of testing in many vehicles behind it and in lieu of a non-theoretical problem.