Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2008, 04:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
My Eagle Research EFIE

Hello -

This is something I said I would post in this thread :

Any one seen these DIY gauges?
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showpost....5&postcount=13

I have had this gizmo online since August 8, 2007. It's not always on. I try to use it in situations where my (ScanGauge) TPS is below 20 :

Electronic Fuel Injection Enhancer (EFIE) Device
http://www.eagle-research.com/store/...products_id=16

I am monitoring it's behavior with this :

Digital Fuel Mixture Display Kit for Cars
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...=&SUBCATID=347

It is connected as follows :

Here is a youtube of it in action :

EFIE Gizmo

In the above video, the EFIE setting is "mild" when it is on. I am trying to add a small fuel trim that still allows for moderate acceleration.

Here is my interpretation of what I am seeing with the EFIE. When the EFIE is on, the A/F ratio creeps up to 14.7 + deltaT. The deltaT is a function of how high I set the EFIE. But, I also have a second post-cat 02 sensor that is used to manage emissions. Because the second 02 sensor is telling the ECU/PCM that the car exhaust is running lean, I think the ECU/PCM tries to resolve the difference by jumping back to 14.7, and then creeping up again. Therefore, I think the result of the EFIE is that instead of floating close around a "narrow ratio" of :

14.7 +- .2

It is now floating around the deltaT with a much wider span :

(14.7+deltaT) +- deltaT

What this means for my EFIE is that I still go back to 14.7, but I spend alot of time "floating up" above 14.7 before going back down.

Notes :

- Since the ScanGauge does not use the short/long term fuel trims, I don't think it is registering the effect.

- I don't like the teeny-tiny screw. It would be nicer if it had something I could tap into. If the screw was on the opposite side, at least it would be easier to package with a hole for inserting a small screwdriver.

- It's output-bias-voltage is temperature sensitive. I wouldn't mind this, except for the fact that I didn't find out until after I bought it. That detail should be on the website. I currently have a CPU heatsink attached to it.

- I have toyed with the idea of a "no load" option. If I tap into the TPS signal, I can make it so that it will only be on when the TPS is zero, and off when I accelerate. That way, the engine would simulate "diesel going lean" under idle/no load conditions.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society

Last edited by cfg83; 08-23-2009 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: Moving pix to emissions album
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-07-2008, 05:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

What is TPS?
Old 03-07-2008, 07:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Throttle position sensor.

What do you plan on using in addition to the EFIE? Just leaning out the mix will cause a increase in NOx emissions.

To solve the 2ndary O2 sensor you'd need another EFIE hooked up to it to get a consistant leaned out mixture. Maybe you could use the one EFIE to send out signal for both O2 sensors?

There are wideband solutions that do the same thing. Innovate has a simple setup (you need a laptop) for $200, and Zeitronix has one for just a bit more (230-240ish) than that with some very nice datalogging capabilities. Then, you also get the benefit of exactly monitoring your air/fuel ratio once it has left the narrowband sensor's operating range.

Last edited by Daox; 03-07-2008 at 07:20 AM..
Old 03-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Daox~

Thanks
Old 03-07-2008, 05:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

Team Saturn
Daox -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Throttle position sensor.

What do you plan on using in addition to the EFIE? Just leaning out the mix will cause a increase in NOx emissions.

To solve the 2ndary O2 sensor you'd need another EFIE hooked up to it to get a consistant leaned out mixture. Maybe you could use the one EFIE to send out signal for both O2 sensors?

There are wideband solutions that do the same thing. Innovate has a simple setup (you need a laptop) for $200, and Zeitronix has one for just a bit more (230-240ish) than that with some very nice datalogging capabilities. Then, you also get the benefit of exactly monitoring your air/fuel ratio once it has left the narrowband sensor's operating range.
I should have gone with a wideband fuel controller form the beginning, but I was a newbie and now I am invested in a lot of "nibbling around the edge" solutions, .

I originally got the EFIE to supplement my hydrogen generator. Right now I am going to leave the second 02 sensor alone.

Here is my current state of affairs with my emissions. This is with a HAI (Hot Air Intake) intake installed :

California Smog Test : 08-15-2007

My car passed with great numbers for HC and CO pollution (below the average !), but the NO went up. I think the HAI is creating a (mild) lean-burn effect. I would guess that my IAT (Input Air Temperature) was 120+ degrees F.

The hydrogen generator is off-line right now. I never saw an MPG gain from it, but I never installed the whole "system" as instructed. The manual calls for modifying the MAP and 02 sensors with potentiometers. I wasn't comfortable to do this at the time, but now I have the EFIE installed. Here is my master plan for world domination, :

Hydrogen Generator +
External temp sensor glued to outside of Hydrogen Generator +
EFIE +
NOx sensor (at a later date)

The idea would be :

1 - Go lean with the EFIE
2 - Use the output of the hydrogen generator to lower NOx

I don't think I can prove any of this without a real-time NOx sensor, so maybe it's all pie in the sky. But I still want to try.

The NOx sensors are "in the works" for clean diesel applications :

My Kingdom for a NOx Sensor
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316

CarloSW2

Old 11-17-2008, 02:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Talking

Carlos,
I have heard that if one has two oxy. sensors that the single efie should be connected post-cat. Having two means that there is a reading before and after the catlist has done its job. I'm not quite sure why there would be two. Maybe it is to improve emisons. I'm working on a DUAL EFIE with higher grade conponents that are more sound under your bonet.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

Team Saturn
uberhho -

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberhho View Post
Carlos,
I have heard that if one has two oxy. sensors that the single efie should be connected post-cat. Having two means that there is a reading before and after the catlist has done its job. I'm not quite sure why there would be two. Maybe it is to improve emisons. I'm working on a DUAL EFIE with higher grade conponents that are more sound under your bonet.
I agree that having an EFIE for every 02 sensor would make the behavior more "normal". I definitely think the second 02 measures the efficiency of the cat *and* the health of the cat (I think they are the same thing). Because of the cat-health issue, I am leery of installing a second EFIE.

I don't think that a single EFIE configuration should be connected to the second 02 sensor because I can *see* the 14.7 ratio with the digital A/F gauge. The second 02 sensor is operating in a different range because I can compare readings when I datalog :

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ging-1781.html

Also, it goes against the logic of what I have read regarding closed-loop operation. What I have read tells me that the *first* 02 sensor is used to determine fuel injection at the stoichiometric ratio of 14.7 to 1.

CarloSW2

Old 11-17-2008, 07:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
You would probably only need one EFIE on the first sensor and just an extender for the second.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 11-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Silver Turtle - '02 Ford Focus Zx3
90 day: 38.83 mpg (US)
Thats what I will do in the future,

let it only turn on under 24tps (for my particular car, that is pretty much cruising with little load) and make it go into lean mode... how lean? I will find out when it starts knocking
Old 11-17-2008, 12:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Silver Turtle - '02 Ford Focus Zx3
90 day: 38.83 mpg (US)
BTW, for your air/fuel thing, do you still need to add a separate wideband oxygen sensor or does it simply tap into the exisiting one?

Reply  Post New Thread