Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2020, 08:31 PM   #91 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Once in a while I hear theories that some current virus could mutate. I did a Google search and found an entire Voyager episode about it!
In "Young Sheldon" for some reason he did not watch an episode of NextGen live and preferred to watch it in VHS quality, except his brother recorded over it, so I guess that he called up a Star Trek BBS, and found someone who brought over a copy.
For the record, if someone brings over a copy of the Star Trek episode that I missed, that person is my friend.
Anyway, the Star Trek BBS did not look like anything that I had seen before. Were they cool? Did I miss out?!

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-21-2020, 02:48 PM   #92 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Da Vinci - '91 Geo Metro Spaceship
90 day: 47.82 mpg (US)

V8BARGE - '11 Ford Crown Victoria LX
90 day: 15.15 mpg (US)

The Dakooter - '99 Dodge Dakota 4x4(FWD only)
90 day: 8.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Cowhide vs Pleather?

I have a pair of Nissan Pulsar NX taillights I think would look good scabbed onto those rectangular windsplits.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=SLO+county&ia=web? My standard offer is free if you're in the neighborhood, if you want to pay the shipping I could box them up.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9d/c7...1235d2120d.jpg
Huh that’s kinda a cool look. How big are they? I believe the ones on the car now are just trailer lights so the pulsar lights mig he be a bit large. And yeah I’m in San Luis Obispo county. Is that where you’re at?
Old 07-21-2020, 06:47 PM   #93 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,596 Times in 7,079 Posts
Too large? 9[hi]x16[wide]x9[deep]

I need a new battery or camera to provide a pic, but they're gray, minus the bulbs and don't include the backup light/license area. Pacific Northwest.

I like them a lot, if I use them (which I haven't in x years) it would be for a boat tail on something. Without the angled backup lights a tail light/license assembly would be 46" wide.

You mentioned mods to the front, do you have plans for the rear? Maybe time for some tuft testing?

Old 07-21-2020, 07:25 PM   #94 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
Team Toyota
90 day: 62.36 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
Team Mazda
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Trekintosh, you made my day by coming on here with that car. It was one of the first vehicles I saw when I joined Ecomodder over 2 years ago and I've always been interested in hearing about it and wishing the owner was an active member here. Welcome aboard!

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
Old 07-22-2020, 12:00 AM   #95 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Too large? 9[hi]x16[wide]x9[deep]

I need a new battery or camera to provide a pic, but they're gray, minus the bulbs and don't include the backup light/license area. Pacific Northwest.

I like them a lot, if I use them (which I haven't in x years) it would be for a boat tail on something. Without the angled backup lights a tail light/license assembly would be 46" wide.

You mentioned mods to the front, do you have plans for the rear? Maybe time for some tuft testing?
Yeah, way too large. My current tail lights are 4.5"x4.5". Don't worry about pics tho, I just can't make it up. Road trip up to PNW would be fun but what with the plague I don't think it's a great idea right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Trekintosh, you made my day by coming on here with that car. It was one of the first vehicles I saw when I joined Ecomodder over 2 years ago and I've always been interested in hearing about it and wishing the owner was an active member here. Welcome aboard!
Hey, that's awesome! Well now the owner IS a relatively active member.

Small update on the car. To counteract the various parasitic electrical losses it suffers from, I have added a 20w(allegedly) solar panel battery maintainer to keep the battery topped up. I fear it's been discharged too much though, and I'll have to replace the battery. Lithium Ion, anyone? I've got some 200-amp 8000mah cells that would band together to make a car battery. Or I could save my $300 worth of batteries and just get a real car battery.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trekintosh For This Useful Post:
freebeard (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 12:18 AM   #96 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekintosh View Post
... Road trip up to PNW would be fun but what with the plague I don't think it's a great idea right now.
A visit to the Concourse d'Lemons in Santa Cruz after The Plague Year has ennded would be perfectly awful. Do you plan to take the car to shows?

Quote:
Small update on the car. To counteract the various parasitic electrical losses it suffers from, I have added a 20w(allegedly) solar panel battery maintainer to keep the battery topped up. I fear it's been discharged too much though, and I'll have to replace the battery. Lithium Ion, anyone? I've got some 200-amp 8000mah cells that would band together to make a car battery. Or I could save my $300 worth of batteries and just get a real car battery.
Go for the lithium! Why save 'em? You have use for them now. Put the money into a controlle and voltage converter.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-22-2020, 12:21 AM   #97 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
A visit to the Concourse d'Lemons in Santa Cruz after The Plague Year has ennded would be perfectly awful. Do you plan to take the car to shows?

Go for the lithium! Why save 'em? You have use for them now. Put the money into a controlle and voltage converter.
Yes, I will be taking the car to shows, I am a giant attention... lover, after all. Lithium is neat but not very realistic for this purpose. Maybe in the future I could have lithium and even flexible solar in the roof to charge it, but for now a simple dumb lead acid battery will be much more realistic.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:31 AM   #98 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
Team Toyota
90 day: 62.36 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
Team Mazda
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Yes, I will be taking the car to shows, I am a giant attention... lover, after all.
If only Cali wasn't on the opposite side of the country, or I'd pop in at a car show to see it!

Quote:
Lithium is neat but not very realistic for this purpose. Maybe in the future I could have lithium and even flexible solar in the roof to charge it, but for now a simple dumb lead acid battery will be much more realistic.
You can get a generic lithium 12v for $140, $200 if you get it with balancing cells, so the cost isn't much different than a standard lead acid.

https://www.batteryspace.com/lifepo4...assed-dgr.aspx

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
Old 07-22-2020, 12:44 AM   #99 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,596 Times in 7,079 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, way too large.
No problem. If you do the tuft testing and find the back is too fast, it appears there is 9" in height from the bottom of the box cavity to the top of the windsplits.

I'd expect an email with a shipping number before a road trip. Your call.

Is it like this? These were in New Beetles during shipping and the dealers were supposed to return them to VW.

Old 07-22-2020, 01:16 AM   #100 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
If only Cali wasn't on the opposite side of the country, or I'd pop in at a car show to see it!

You can get a generic lithium 12v for $140, $200 if you get it with balancing cells, so the cost isn't much different than a standard lead acid.

https://www.batteryspace.com/lifepo4...assed-dgr.aspx
Yes, a LiPo or LiFE or LiIon will last much much longer than a lead acid battery. But I can get used lead acid batteries for $30 all day long from my local Battery Systems. Until I rewire the dashboard in order to eliminate these little vampires, I'd rather just get another lead acid battery. With the solar charger it should be plenty fine to keep it topped up during the day time, and it doesn't die overnight, just over the course of a few days.

Quote:
No problem. If you do the tuft testing and find the back is too fast, it appears there is 9" in height from the bottom of the box cavity to the top of the windsplits.

I'd expect an email with a shipping number before a road trip. Your call.

Is it like this? These were in New Beetles during shipping and the dealers were supposed to return them to VW.
Yes, it's like one of those. All sorts of companies make them now, this is the one I used: Amazon Link

What do you mean by tuft test? You talking about gluing tufts to the back of the car in order to detect wind resistance? I was just going to 3D model the car in Fusion and run simulations on it there, way less work

Reply  Post New Thread