Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2015, 08:38 PM   #1731 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
It's set up for a hall effect throttle.
Yes, I remember your message spelling that out ... and my mind is not so good at recalling recent details (it's an age thing) SIGH!

So - how would I fake a reasonable hall effect signal?

I have a power supply (Kickstarter project) that takes USB (5V) and will put out a variable voltage. Would that work out?

Quote:
If you have a 0-5k pot hooked up to it, and it was one of the wires connected to +5v -------- POT ----------- gnd (connected to the 2nd wire). And if you move the throttle to 0 Ohm, it would be +5v --------- 0 oHMS --------- GND.

Could that be what happened?
The connection was 5V to one side of the pot (I'll call that left), 0V to the other side of the pot (middle) and wiper to the right pin. I don't think the pot was a minimum, but the pot is no longer operational. Resistance from 5V side to wiper works as expected. Gnd is just another connection for wiper (I suspect melted resistor inside)

As I mentioned, measuring the board I get 4.95V between 5V and gnd pins ... which is close enough for the error on my crappy meter. But throttle floats at 4.75V? Can you measure the other board and see what you read?

Quote:
EDIT: also, it's an either-or setup. A pot resistor is needed to be added if you use that, and it must be removed if you use the hall effect.
Makes sense.

Quote:
Also, The only code is for field oriented control, which requires an encoder, and also requires that we go through the process of tuning the PI loop with a locked rotor, and then find the optimal rotor time constant before proceeding.
That's fine. I have not reached the part where the controller talks to my computer as yet.

Is TX, RX and GND on the connector the description of the pins from the dsPIC or the description of the pins that I put on my connector? TX and RX from the computer to the dsPIC obviously need to be switched to make it work .. right?

What baud rate is expected? I could not find that .. but I'm not great at finding things. 9600,n,8,1 did not get a response from the controller.

And is the 24V ground connected to the 5V ground on the controller? Can I make a converter for the encoder by supplying 24V and Gnd from the DC/DC to the encoder, then drop the A and B signals down to 5V with a simple resistor divider?

Hopefully I did not kill the control board

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-23-2015, 09:00 PM   #1732 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Nah, I highly doubt the control board is broken. My super duper $5 5v 7.5w supply is bulletproof.

A normal hall signal is 0.5v up to 4.5v.

SERIAL: I think I was messing around with different speeds to see how accurate it was. I may have sent it up with 115kbps. It's also possible I sent up code that was in DEBUG mode, which means only a PICKIT3 could run it. I'll send you a "release" version of the code that should be able to be programmed by your programmer. I'll also make sure it's set to 115kbps 8N1.

For the encoder, I think it expects pulses for A and B that are 0 to 5v, so if you can create that, it should be OK.

Throttle is being pulled up VERY GENTLY to +5v with a 100k resistor. Maybe there's a tiny bit of a load from the volt meter that causes there to be a tiny drop across the resistor? I'll get the other controller ready to test this week. It's basically assembled, but largely untested. The output of the hall effect forces things to go to 0.5v for zero throttle, and 4.5v for max throttle. So, no hall effect connected would pull up close to 5v. It sounds OK.
thingstodo (02-23-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 09:28 PM   #1733 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Nah, I highly doubt the control board is broken. My super duper $5 5v 7.5w supply is bulletproof.
GREAT NEWS

Quote:
A normal hall signal is 0.5v up to 4.5v.
Good. I should be able to use my little USB-powered power supply to generate that signal.

Quote:
SERIAL: I think I was messing around with different speeds to see how accurate it was. I may have sent it up with 115kbps. It's also possible I sent up code that was in DEBUG mode, which means only a PICKIT3 could run it. I'll send you a "release" version of the code that should be able to be programmed by your programmer. I'll also make sure it's set to 115kbps 8N1.
115K it is. I'll try that on my laptop and my cable now. Perhaps it will work.

I found a cheap PICkit 3 on ebay yesterday, and it was already in Canada so no messing with customs. It should be here next week. One less thing to worry about.

If everything works out with the PICkit 3 I can mess around with the ME labs programmer afterward, as a backup plan. I break/wear out lots of stuff.

Quote:
For the encoder, I think it expects pulses for A and B that are 0 to 5v, so if you can create that, it should be OK.
I kinda need to know if the 24V ground and the 5V ground on the controller are connected. If not, I think I need to isolate things with optocouplers. If they are tied together, I think the voltage divider will work.

Quote:
Throttle is being pulled up VERY GENTLY to +5v with a 100k resistor. Maybe there's a tiny bit of a load from the volt meter that causes there to be a tiny drop across the resistor?
My meter is pretty crappy. It may not have much input impedance.

Quote:
I'll get the other controller ready to test this week. It's basically assembled, but largely untested.
No huge hurry. I can wait. I've got stuff to work out, like the mount on the encoder, the encoder signal conversion, how I'm going to lock the rotor, mounting the second 5 HP motor ... I'd just like to get the controller talking so I have somewhere to start.

Quote:
The output of the hall effect forces things to go to 0.5v for zero throttle, and 4.5v for max throttle. So, no hall effect connected would pull up close to 5v. It sounds OK.
That's promising.

Does the controller do anything to show it's up and running besides the serial? Right now I have voltages on the 5V and throttle input. That's the only outward signs of life.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:35 PM   #1734 (permalink)
PaulH

Oops! Yes, the +24v and +5v both share the same ground.

I have a spot for an LED to show it's running, but I think I didn't solder it in.
thingstodo (02-23-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 09:57 PM   #1735 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Oops! Yes, the +24v and +5v both share the same ground.
Excellent. That simplifies the encoder interface!
Old 02-23-2015, 10:25 PM   #1736 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by thingstodo View Post
115K it is. I'll try that on my laptop and my cable now. Perhaps it will work.
Sadly, it does not work.

I built a cable with laptop tx on the right, then rx, then gnd. Nothing after power up, nothing on CR/LF, nothing on random commands followed by CR/LF

I built another cable with laptop rx on the right, then tx, then gnd. Same result.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:04 AM   #1737 (permalink)
PaulH

It's probably in debug mode. I'll email you a hex file right now that's "release".
thingstodo (02-24-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 11:25 PM   #1738 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
It's probably in debug mode. I'll email you a hex file right now that's "release".
Email received. I got the old ME labs programmer software downloaded and installed. Flashed the new firmware into the ME labs programmer. Started on the ICSP cable - my eyes went fuzzy and I'm not sure I got the right pins.

Busy tomorrow - will try again on Friday.

PICkit 3 was shipped today, should be here Monday or Tuesday.
The Following User Says Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (02-26-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 03:29 PM   #1739 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by thingstodo View Post
I got the old ME labs programmer software downloaded and installed. Flashed the new firmware into the ME labs programmer. Started on the ICSP cable - my eyes went fuzzy and I'm not sure I got the right pins.

PICkit 3 was shipped today, should be here Monday or Tuesday.
ME labs programmer won't identify the chip. Doc states that it will program a dsPIC30F4011, but when I run 'identify target' I get an error message that it cannot read the chip ID. Help files and troubleshooting have no suggestions. Anyone have experience?

I tried to program anyway, but it won't program a chip it cannot identify.

Reading the program from the dsPIC gives me all 0's, so maybe it's a good thing that it won't try to program the chip?

I built 2 different ICSP cables - no change.

Working on the encoder voltage reduction today. When I get that done I will look for the 'through hole' encoder and get it mounted on the motor shaft.

Email from Canada Post gives delivery date for PICkit 3 as Feb 27 - Mar 10 (!!) It started out inside Canada ...
Old 02-28-2015, 04:23 PM   #1740 (permalink)
PaulH

I wonder if there's something about my ISP interface that's not quite compatible with the interface they are expecting.