Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #5811 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Paul, I have a very serious question, which isn't came up until now, interestingly.
I'd need the +5V pin of the serial port. Can I just tap the C8's leg? Would it mess up something? I'd like to use a built in serial bluetooth adapter, instead of serial cable...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #5812 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

EVVette - '71 Chevy Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsnemeth View Post
Paul, I have a very serious question, which isn't came up until now, interestingly.
I'd need the +5V pin of the serial port. Can I just tap the C8's leg? Would it mess up something? I'd like to use a built in serial bluetooth adapter, instead of serial cable...
You do not want to tap onto C8 for power. This is a bootstrap cap for the max232. You will want to tap onto C12 or U4 pin 15(gnd) and pin 16(+5V) directly.

-Adam

You can download RTD Explorer for the Cougar controllers at www.EVVette.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adamj12b For This Useful Post:
xformbykr (08-05-2012), zsnemeth (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #5813 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Got to hook the controller up to the o'scope in class today. Works like a charm! The pulse width would start to rise as the throttle pot was moved to simulate driving off. The Pulse width signal would eventually max out and cause a fault due to never seeing any current at the current sensor. There were some spikes in the PWM signal waveform at pin 7 of U7 (or at D6), is this normal?

We tried to simulate current draw by wrapping several loops of wire through the LEM, connected to a 25 watt, 1K resistor and hooked this up to a DC power supply, but it didn't work. The most we could push was 7 amps (looping the wire multiplies the current somehow according the the industrial text book). 7 amps didn't even register in RTD Explorer.

The instructor asked what the minimum amperage the controller would detect, but I didn't know. Don't recall seeing that information in the posts here. Does anyone know what the minimum is?

Well, time to assemble the power board now!

Jim
Old 07-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #5814 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricstorm View Post
We tried to simulate current draw by wrapping several loops of wire through the LEM, connected to a 25 watt, 1K resistor and hooked this up to a DC power supply, but it didn't work. The most we could push was 7 amps (looping the wire multiplies the current somehow according the the industrial text book). 7 amps didn't even register in RTD Explorer.

The instructor asked what the minimum amperage the controller would detect, but I didn't know. Don't recall seeing that information in the posts here. Does anyone know what the minimum is?
Given that the controller is meant for 500-1000A, 7 amps is less than 1% of it's range. If you can get up to 100A you should definitely notice something - Try connecting a few (incandescent) light bulbs in parallel and driving those. That should give you a fair load. Or a large (the bigger the better) coil in a rubbermaid container of water would do too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anaerin For This Useful Post:
electricstorm (07-19-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #5815 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I will be mating the control board and the power board either today or tomorrow. I hope to take it back to class and demonstrate it to fellow students per my instructor's request. We will be using a 12 volt lead-acid battery and a starter motor.

My question is:

For this test, do I need a pre-charge resistor before applying full power? If not, at what voltage would I need to add one and what value and wattage do you recommend? I am sure the answer is in this thread somewhere, but for the moment, it eludes me!

When a pre-charge resistor is needed, again, what value seems to work and how long do you set the pre-charge time on the controller for? I am planning to run it on a 120v DC battery pack when I install it into the vehicle.

Jim.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #5816 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

EVVette - '71 Chevy Corvette Coupe
You should always use a pre-charge resistor with any voltage. 100 ohms is a Perry good value for any voltage pack. You will want already a 10 watt one but 20 would be better.
Here its a good site to use too calculate pre-charge time.
scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/nospark.html
-Adam

You can download RTD Explorer for the Cougar controllers at www.EVVette.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adamj12b For This Useful Post:
electricstorm (07-24-2012), xformbykr (08-05-2012)
Old 08-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #5817 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Only 3 more weeks of horror, and then I can have a life again and can hopefully finish that dang blasted 1000amp controller. Never again will I sign up to teach so many classes.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:59 PM   #5818 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Tech View Post
I have a motor simmilar to this as well. So you say yours ahs been working really well? I plan to drive mine with the 1000 amp controller when it is done.
Been a while since I've been here. Took the S-10 apart to put an automatic transmission in it. Did an inspection of the motor and it still looks great. Have seen no signs of abnormal wear or problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to pamcmills For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (08-16-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #5819 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
School's out! Grading done for all 250 students or so! I have some time to work now!! ya! Step one will be to stare forward and do nothing. That sounds nice right now.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #5820 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

a question and a big boo-boo to report.
first, did the post #'s change? my notes say post#3365 should start a pre-charge resistor conversation and it doesn't seem to be there. same with other post#'s. ???
second, i hate to admit it but i shorted the controller across b+ and b- connections. the caps were charged and i touched them with a wrench i was holding. it literally sounded like a gunshot and i thought i fried my cougar. it really sounded like something blew up but there was only a small scorch mark on the b- , the controller had no visible damage and it has since been operating normally. i think i might have blown a finger off if i had touched shorted these with my hand. i think i might have croaked if i had shorted these with 1 hand on each of these (through my body).
EVERYBODY BE CAREFUL WITH THE CAPACITORS! I plan on adding a 115v bulb across here so the caps will drain after my contactor opens. I'm looking for the posts where someone describes their precharge setup using a 115v bulb.

The Following User Says Thank You to ChedMpls For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (08-24-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread