Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2021, 11:13 PM   #7341 (permalink)
Al

Hi Jason,

I've got some files that I got off someone on the DIY Electric Vehicles FB group, not sure if they're what you're after but anyone can access them here
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde..._A?usp=sharing

The Following User Says Thank You to Staircase For This Useful Post:
thingstodo (02-18-2021)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-18-2021, 11:25 AM   #7342 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staircase View Post
Hi Jason,

I've got some files that I got off someone on the DIY Electric Vehicles FB group, not sure if they're what you're after but anyone can access them here
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde..._A?usp=sharing
I know that you have sent me a couple of emails, reminding me that I have not gotten any files uploaded as yet.

I can't find the link that allows me to upload files to your drive. If you can PM me I'll try to get on it before I lose focus again

I have several directories, spread across several sets of backups. So I may end up copying the same files a few times .. but it will be all that I have!
The Following User Says Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
Staircase (02-18-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 09:03 PM   #7343 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Atomic Cheeze Wedge - '81 CVI CommutaCar
Cougar PCB's

Looking for anyone who has/wants Cougar controller PCBs.... If I can't find any, I might get some fabbed
Old 07-10-2021, 05:57 PM   #7344 (permalink)
PLUGnGO

"bat-amps-lim"

Hi All
I have one of Paul's IGBT DC controllers (stinky diaper?).
I am trying to limit battery current to protect a new set of batteries.

The controller config file currently has "bat-amps-lim" set to 0000. I assume the zero value means battery amps are not limited.

My desired value is a max of 400 amps. If I set bat-amps-lim to 0400, the controller stops working. I think it is limiting battery amps to zero or a very low value.

Does anyone know if "bat-amps.lim" works? Am I not setting or using it correctly?
Thanks
Old 07-10-2021, 08:13 PM   #7345 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedsmd View Post
Hi All
I have one of Paul's IGBT DC controllers (stinky diaper?).
I am trying to limit battery current to protect a new set of batteries.

The controller config file currently has "bat-amps-lim" set to 0000. I assume the zero value means battery amps are not limited.

My desired value is a max of 400 amps. If I set bat-amps-lim to 0400, the controller stops working. I think it is limiting battery amps to zero or a very low value.

Does anyone know if "bat-amps.lim" works? Am I not setting or using it correctly?
Thanks
I have not tested it ... at least I don't think so .. but I think that there is an implied decimal. So 400 = 40.0 amps.

I have tried the motor amps limit, and it does work. The motor current can't be larger than the battery current .. so if the battery current is not working you can work around it with the motor current.

The only bad part about this is that your acceleration will be worse, since the battery current can be 400 amps at your pack voltage, while the motor current is 1600 amps at 1/4 of your pack voltage.

Let us know what you figure out!
The Following User Says Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
jedsmd (07-11-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 05:39 PM   #7346 (permalink)
PLUGnGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingstodo View Post
I have not tested it ... at least I don't think so .. but I think that there is an implied decimal. So 400 = 40.0 amps.

I have tried the motor amps limit, and it does work. The motor current can't be larger than the battery current .. so if the battery current is not working you can work around it with the motor current.

The only bad part about this is that your acceleration will be worse, since the battery current can be 400 amps at your pack voltage, while the motor current is 1600 amps at 1/4 of your pack voltage.

Let us know what you figure out!
After some experimenting
The "bat-amps-lim" zeros the battery amps for any non-zero value I put in. (The largest value the controller will accept as input is 999 so it would not let me try 4000).

Unfortunately, since "bat-amps-lim" does not work for me, I will just have to limit the motor amps. I hate to do it because I'm use to my truck being pretty peppy. But my brand-new batteries have black soot coming out of the terminals, so I think I need to tune it down.
Old 07-14-2021, 03:35 PM   #7347 (permalink)
PLUGnGO

Okay ignore my previous posts. When I removed the damaged batteries it became obvious something completely different was happening.

My previous battery set had plastic casings. The new new cells have aluminum casings with a thin plastic wrap. Did not occur to me that the casings are electrically connected to the (+) terminals. When sharp bits on the battery trays wore thru the plastic wrap on the casings bad things happened.

Interesting that the shorting only seem to occur during acceleration (You could hear the cells hissing) so I think the controller was in the path somehow.

I lost two cells, it could have been a lot worse.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jedsmd For This Useful Post:
mpgmike (01-25-2022), thingstodo (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 09:05 PM   #7348 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigdigits View Post
Looking for anyone who has/wants Cougar controller PCBs.... If I can't find any, I might get some fabbed
I would be interested in buying a cougar PCB.
Old 07-24-2021, 04:56 AM   #7349 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi Guys
Message from the antipodes (New Zealand)

Is anybody in touch with Paul - of Paul & Sabrina

I could really do with a number of his wonderful "Stinky Diaper" controllers

Mine is still going strong - but I would like a "spare" just in case
My friend Owen has killed his Soliton - and could use one of Paul's

And there is a loony that wants to make an electric drag bike - I have sorted some motors and I think I have a battery but we could do with a couple of the controllers

So can anybody help us get in touch??
Old 07-24-2021, 10:18 AM   #7350 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
Before covid started Paul was somewhere in a new startup job, but was periodically answering emails off Sabrina's old email.
Edit: might be over on instagram and instructables

Jeff Jenkins can fix his Sols if he can still get the parts, typically the IGBTS. I bought a couple from Seb cheap and had them swapped out, but I am a early Sol buyer, and everything in mine is obsolete (but better built, imho)

Last edited by Piotrsko; 07-24-2021 at 10:53 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread