Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009, 02:06 AM   #441 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
I drilled and tapped two holes in the copper heat spreader, and drilled 2 holes in the aluminum heat sink, then sanded down both surfaces with 600 grit sand paper, so they are both super smooth. Then I bolted the heatsink to the heat spreader and they lay perfectly together, with no hint of daylight between them. I think it will work really well.

Last edited by MPaulHolmes; 02-24-2009 at 08:59 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-24-2009, 04:25 AM   #442 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

You need use hit transfer paste IMHO.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:14 AM   #443 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
NiHaoMike, I was not implying that a flyback transformer should be used to power the vehicle. I asked the electrical engineer about replacing the diodes with mosfets and she told me to look up how that is done in a flyback transformer circuit for an example of how it should be done with a motor.

Paul, there may be mosfet drivers that have built-in flyback control. I will research further. This would be sweet.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:20 AM   #444 (permalink)
PaulH

Motor_control: Don't worry, I have some thermal grease in the garage. I was just testing it to see if there were any gaps when bolted together. Do you know if the inductor that you suggested on the AVcc pin will cause an inductive kick when power is cut to the ATMega8? Do I need a freewheel diode there, or is it OK?

Thanks Matt!
Old 02-24-2009, 02:14 PM   #445 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
Do I need a freewheel diode there
No. See "Figure 96. ADC Power Connections" in mega8 datasheet.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:03 PM   #446 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
NiHaoMike, I was not implying that a flyback transformer should be used to power the vehicle. I asked the electrical engineer about replacing the diodes with mosfets and she told me to look up how that is done in a flyback transformer circuit for an example of how it should be done with a motor.

Paul, there may be mosfet drivers that have built-in flyback control. I will research further. This would be sweet.
A DC motor controller is actually much more like a buck converter than a flyback converter. The commutation diodes provide a path for the induced current to flow. The controller will work as a boost converter during regen, however, so it would be necessary to also use commutation diodes on the high side.

The circuits used to provide a path for leakage inductance in flyback converters are not practical for use in motor controllers. A PC power supply I have that is based on a flyback topology has a capacitor from the drain of the power MOSFET going to a pair of fast recovery rectifiers, with an inductor in the low side to limit peak current when the MOSFET turns on. To use the same design in a motor controller would require a large, expensive capacitor with a high peak current rating.

Synchronous rectification actually is generally not worth it at high voltages. But since a DC motor controller already has the correct topology for it, it wouldn't cost much to include it.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Old 02-25-2009, 12:29 AM   #447 (permalink)
PaulH

Now this is an oversimplification, but it's not too bad of an estimate:

The pack voltage is irrelevant.
Let's say you are running at 50% PWM duty, 500 amps. The diodes conduct half of the time. So, the power loss from them is...

1v*500amp*0.5 = 250 watts waste heat.

Now let's use mosfets instead of diodes. Say 10 in parallel. My 200v mosfets have a typical resistance of 0.0085 Ohms each. So, at 500 amps, 50% duty, the loss is...

0.0085*500*500*0.5*0.1 = 106 watts. Not too shabby! The mosfets I'm using are $5.50 each, and the diodes are $4 each (unless you get them from this one place that is out of them for the next couple months. Theirs are $2.50 each I think).

144 watts of heat is quite a bit. Has anyone ever grabbed a 100 watt light bulb? Those things are hot!
Old 02-25-2009, 12:47 AM   #448 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Paul - Relating to "Coppers" and their composition - you only have to add Lard to that, and you get... well, you know.

Regarding heat -
1. Arctic Silver. It's a little more expensive, but it works the best of just about all the pastes in the home-modder range.

2. Did you get the links on Lapping? With lapping alone, Lou (the guy on Metku) was able to get his CPU 10* cooler... might be something to look into.

3. What's keeping anyone from mounting the controller inside the car, or venting the heat from the controller (the 106 watts of heat-waste) into the cabin for partial heating during winter/cooler weather driving?

4. Liquid cooling, using the same heating solution that has been suggested for liquid heating in the vehicle to begin with?
Old 02-25-2009, 12:51 AM   #449 (permalink)
PaulH

Diodes soldered!

I got the diodes soldered to the PCB. The mosfets are a little tougher, because they need a couple resistors soldered too. So, there will be some drilling required.

Front view

Back view!

Good enough for government work.

The careful observer will notice that version 0.1 will be 144v 500amp (50 amps per diode).

Last edited by MPaulHolmes; 02-25-2009 at 01:11 AM..
Old 02-25-2009, 12:59 AM   #450 (permalink)
PaulH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Paul - I want to marry Oprah! -
What!? I hear she's not with Stedman anymore... Hahaha! I like messing with quotes.

Quote:
2. Did you get the links on Lapping? With lapping alone, Lou (the guy on Metku) was able to get his CPU 10* cooler... might be something to look into.
I read the guy's process, but I don't know if I saw lapping. I still don't know what that is. boohoo! Makes me mad!

Quote:
3. What's keeping anyone from mounting the controller inside the car, or venting the heat from the controller (the 106 watts of heat-waste) into the cabin for partial heating during winter/cooler weather driving?
Excellent idea! I like it! You have to keep the cable from M- on the controller to the motor as short as possible, but maybe it could be placed somewhere up front, up in the vents or something. I love the idea of the fans blowing on it. You could even have the inside exposed a little to the outside air, so the fan would really keep it cool.

Did you see the advertisements for the new Fast and the Furious?