Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2013, 05:58 AM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You pull numbers out of thin air and call it "Data".

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPlayland View Post
If anyone still wishes to banter about this subject.

You will not like the outcome... last example..... Ask yourself this.

Which costs more to make? Small truck vs Big truck

So with that said, which would cost less to convert over the assembly line?

This is the logic I will bring to the table.
Disingenuous. You admit you are a neophyte and yet you speak as if you have great knowledge. This undermines the veracity of your arguments.

You also take my words out of context and meaning. I made it clear the market for small diesel economy pickup trucks in the USA is exceedingly small in comparison to larger payload vehicles for various technical and socioeconomic reasons. You have provided no reasonably hard argument to counter my (and every US manufacturer or importer's ) conclusion. More on this in just a bit.

Large trucks cost more to build than small trucks. But by not as large a margin as you might think. The previous partnership between Dodge and Mercedes saw Mercedes cut away small vehicle production by Dodge as vans, SUVs and trucks produced several times the profit of economy vehicles for only a fractional increase in production costs. These large vehicles are by far the most profitable vehicles to produce largely because most of their price is perceived value and is malleable through marketing.

You also speak of retrofitting. If the manufacturer did not see it worthwhile to make a small diesel economy pickup truck how do you expect to amortize the millions needed to certify a diesel conversion? For each platform? With increasingly stringent emissions? Converting gasoline engines to propane and CNG is straightforward addition of hardware to the existing engine. Quite easy in comparison to diesel which would entail not just exchange of the entire power plant but also all the accessories it drives as well as a probable upgrade of brakes and suspension to safely handle the probable higher mass. Can you do all of this for the dollars you are "guesstimating"? And still make a profit? Not much robot assembly help either as retrofits are very manpower intensive. It is simplistic to equate production costs linearly to retrofit costs. You had better make profit part of your estimate too because no bank or investor will lend without a clear profit motive. Unless you already have the millions in liquid assets to fund this endeavor of course.

You say via your "math" that you can do this for 5000 to 7000 USD. This is very naive. You cannot simply import some Japanese or European diesel engine and stick it into your S10. You must use an engine that is certified for use in America by the EPA. Also, you cannot go from a heavy duty engine application (aforementioned 4BT Cummins ) and put it into a passenger or light duty application without certification for that application for that year. A cleaner running passenger diesel of the same year or later may be placed in a heavy duty application, but you may not like the pulling power or lack of it. But, if your goal is to putt around for maximum mileage, that would be your clear path. Then there are the requirements for warranty and service . . .

Then there is the marketing. You said everyone you spoke to would buy a diesel economy pickup. Was this number a statistically significant number? I highly doubt it. Marketing doesn't start based on a few tidbits. Carefully crafted polls are put in front of significant demo-graphical population numbers. There truly are numerous drivers of small economy pickups all across the USA. They number in the millions. But, they drive economy pickups because of economical reasons. Would a large number of them consider a 5-7K$ retrofit worthwhile? Maybe. Would a large number of them be willing to put 5-7K$ into a retrofit that costs more than the value of their older S10 or Tacoma? Probably not. Would business owners see it as an economical advantage to upgrade their old fleet? I don't think so.

As a business owner, I can simply say, no. I would put my 5-7K$ towards the down payment on one of the soon to be announced 4 cylinder Cummins powered Nissans. Or the under certification Fiat Diesel Dodges. Or other soon to be announced relatively light duty diesel pickups.

"Hey! You said there wasn't a significant market for light duty diesel pickups?" Currently and previously, no - there wasn't. But, as fuel prices creep past 4$ per gallon and approach 5$, diesel powered anything becomes attractive due to it's current efficiency advantage. The levels of diesel acceptance might approach that of Japan or Europe as our fuel costs approach their costs. Thus there is guarded investment in diesel development by the major manufacturers. Of course, gasoline engines are also closing the efficiency gap along with greater application of various hybridizing technologies.

My neighbors' choice of business vehicles is a good example of the market environment in America. One neighbor has a Taxi/shuttle service to and from the airport. His vehicles regularly exceed 80K miles a year. He chose Dodge Sprinter Diesels as his vehicles because the 40 thousand dollar price tag made sense due to his need for economy and longevity. The other neighbor chose Dodge gasoline powered mini vans as they suited her needs for delivery of flowers to the local community. Her vehicles rarely exceed 12K miles a year. She felt the much lower priced gasoline vans were economical enough for her and had a lifespan that matched her use.

The manufacturers have done their marketing, and it does not include large numbers of small payload diesel vehicles. At least right now. This could change as fuel prices continue their upward trend.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ok, let me pull a Frank Lee on ya there RustyLugNut.

Your quote
"Disingenuous. You admit you are a neophyte and yet you speak as if you have great knowledge. This undermines the veracity of your arguments."

My retort.

Disingenuous
Definition of Disingenuous: Adjective
Not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.

So you have me confused... Am I disingenuous? Or do I lack knowledge?

Your very first paragraph and what you called me are opposite of each other.

Hence: You will not like the outcome.

Do you wish for me to continue further into your post? Honestly, I really rather not. Especially when your lead paragraph indicating your opinion of me is..... well....

Definitely not disingenuous!

My honest opinion of this banter... a waste of my time. I am only replying, for amusement at this point.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I actually think it about time for a moderator or admin to step in and lock this thread... or just delete it/trim it... for factual data that does help and does not waste others time.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Let us get back to your original post.

Quote:
Hello,

I have been facinated by the high MPG trucks from the 1980's. I have done some research only to find myself drowned in data.

I am joining this forum due to a google search that brought up a topic from Diesel Dave and his record setting 50mpg 3/4ton truck. WOW!

So with that said, I feel even more like a novice on this topic. So I will be doing a ton of reading and asking for help here or there to figure this all out.

What I would like to have is a 50+mpg S-10 or Ranger size truck.

I know that diesels would be the best bet. Yet the ones I have found are older and hard to find parts for.

Yet I have seen some youtube videos of newer style s-10's/rangers being swapped with diesel engines and getting sometimes up in the 60mpg range. Holy moses!

So my goal is building or buying a 50+mpg diesel truck newer style. Might possibly go with an older one, but again... parts availability.

One last thing that I couldn't find that much data on... does cummings make a diesel engine currently that fits in the newer style trucks? Or can I buy one of the overseas motors and stuff it in a newer truck?
Those youtube videos that show late model diesel mini pickups begs the question of legality. Unless you do not expect to ever have your vehicle scrutinized you can pretty much put any diesel engine in your late model mini. However, if you intend to drive it and register it longer, I suggest you go to the guidelines found at the EPA website concerning engine swaps.

If I were you, I would start by targeting my base truck so that you will have your year and specifications set. Then you can proceed to research what diesel engines are available that can fit physically and legally. The later model trucks will obviate late model diesel engine swaps from certified sources such as VW, BMW, Mercedes, etc.

As someone mentioned, there were diesel mini pickups available during the 80s by the Big Three via their Japanese affiliates. These pickups could be the basis for a "HOTROD" diesel pickup since most municipalities do not require extensive testing on these vehicles. Parts for some of them are more common than you think. But, in reality, since you will be swapping in another engine and probably a transmission, it doesn't really matter about parts. You are free to hotrod what you need. All you want is a clean body/frame and VIN. There will be a modest amount of fabrication, but nothing beyond what you could find at many home shops.

The third option would be to find a truck older than 1975. Since there is no requirement for emissions, you can pretty much do whatever you want engine wise. I would choose one of the classics such as a Ford F150 which were made in the millions and carried suspension pieces through many model years. A gasoline version is fine as there is no emissions checkup required. I would build around the frame and suspension a tube frame aero body along with a Cummins 4BT swap. This option requires the most in planning, tooling and execution but would result in a most satisfying and exclusive vehicle.

I hope I have not scared you off your project. But these are the realities. They do have their pitfalls and benefits and somewhere along the lines is a path for you to reach your goals.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Why did I say the previous statement. You treat me as I do not have vast knowledge... as it has already been pointed out.

I have knowledge of the outline and using logic. I have researched older trucks, and overseas trucks.

Yet, did I know that a importer could get me engines as another member pointed out? Nope.

I read quite a few posts about the testing and sharing of data with other members in other posts. I found this forum to be a vast amount of great information.

So after reading all this, I posted that I am a novice. Due to the fact of what I had read here.

Yet when I get spelling nazi Frank Lee, and you RustyLugNut wanting to banter political/economical jargon of why the auto manufacturers will not produce a small economy truck.... I am not here for that.

This forum alone proves my point right about why the U.S. is oil driven by profits to not produce said vehicles.

I am intelligent. I have a brain. My novice area is the data and resources I seek to make my vehicle I seek a reality.

I am not here for political jargon. Nor to banter/debate this.

One admission I did not know... Neophyte... didn't know that one. But your retorts against me show that you think me opposite of this. Hence my previous post you confuse me on.

So really, can you let it die? I am sure there is some Jerry Springer forums somewhere.

This is a introductions post for god's sake. Nice to meet you too! lmao!
Old 07-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

PS: Nebraska/Iowa/Missouri are not so strict about building a modified vehicle. I do not live in California.

Hence if you can slap a motor on a frame/ lights/ horn/ seats/ seatbelt... they will issue a title/plates.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Lastly, thank you Frank Lee and RustyLugNut... Your input has gained me 0% towards my goal. TY!
Old 07-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

And Rusty...

A 4tb swap has already been pointed out that would not get me my goal and a alternative has been shown earlier on in the thread by another member that gave me a resource to follow....
Old 07-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #39 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Post away... I am going to read other threads.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Look at your post.

Quote:
Ok, let me pull a Frank Lee on ya there RustyLugNut.

Your quote
"Disingenuous. You admit you are a neophyte and yet you speak as if you have great knowledge. This undermines the veracity of your arguments."

My retort.

Disingenuous
Definition of Disingenuous: Adjective
Not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.

So you have me confused... Am I disingenuous? Or do I lack knowledge?

Your very first paragraph and what you called me are opposite of each other.

Hence: You will not like the outcome.

Do you wish for me to continue further into your post? Honestly, I really rather not. Especially when your lead paragraph indicating your opinion of me is..... well....

Definitely not disingenuous!

My honest opinion of this banter... a waste of my time. I am only replying, for amusement at this point.
Look at the definition you just gave. You call yourself a novice and then argue. You pretend you know little then you argue as if you know much. You are not candid in your search for knowledge. You are disingenuous.

And the reader can see your posts and make their own judgement as to your knowledge base.

And now you use this as an excuse to avoid my answer to your question. Or is it because you cannot stomach my reply? Please continue the discussion in a manner that is productive and I can do the same.

Reply  Post New Thread