Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2020, 09:05 PM   #671 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Why should you even try to get along with anyone?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-29-2020, 09:16 PM   #672 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It's not a matter of trying to get along or trying to not get along. It's about what gets posted. That's all it is about.

Old 10-29-2020, 10:46 PM   #673 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
+1

Derek Chauvin didn't use a gun. The problem is about training and focus, not about the tools available. Two of the cops with Chauvin were in their fist week as Minneapolis cops and Chauvin was training them- he was a bad cop no matter what he was carrying, and he was training the rookies to be bad cops too.
"Focus and training"? What an oversimplification. You might as well send thoughts and prayers. Some (notice, not all) cops get away with murder, and the blue wall of silence usually protects them. The cops police the cops. Most DAs go along with the cops.

In this thread we have a bunch of commenters blaming the victims. One could call it depraved indifference. I applaud you in trying to reason with the unreasonable.

The police are more militarized than ever. The police are sent when social services, or lack thereof, should respond. "If the only tool you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail."

Last edited by sgtlethargic; 10-29-2020 at 11:17 PM..

Old 10-29-2020, 10:58 PM   #674 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Our government kills people "over there" for a lot of reasons. Mainly because if you spend a ton of money to make sure any conflict happens there and not here, you actually save money by not having conflicts here- and conflicts that don't blow up your own buildings can be pretty lucrative on their own.

The question, though, is where the problem lies. There's all sorts of unwanted behavior. Generally, we don't prevent them in the most efficient ways, but in ways that make money for someone influential.
The US war machine claims self-defense yet it literally has its tentacles gripping the world- I'd call that offense. They make boatloads of money off selling and using war weapons. Uncle Sam is the biggest gangster on the planet. And think of the opportunity costs!

At some point you'd think humanity would stop being barbaric. It's the minority that are violent to that extreme. That kind of violence goes against normal human behavior.

The question is: How do we stop violence without violence when human rights abuses are happening? The answer isn't more death and destruction.

Last edited by sgtlethargic; 10-29-2020 at 11:03 PM..

Old 10-29-2020, 11:21 PM   #675 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,392 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlethargic View Post
In this thread we have a bunch of commenters blaming the victims. One could call it depraved indifference. I applaud you in trying to reason with the unreasonable.
What else do you call a 4x lethal dose of fentanyl? Two things can be true at once; that the cop should have sat the man in a position most conducive to breathing, and that Floyd shouldn't have killed himself with drugs and crime.

I apologize for neither the cop nor criminal. Anybody that does is underinformed and myopic.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Old 10-29-2020, 11:21 PM   #676 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Is Thomas Sowell's logic any better than Walter E Williams'?

Old 10-29-2020, 11:26 PM   #677 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
What else do you call a 4x lethal dose of fentanyl? Two things can be true at once; that the cop should have sat the man in a position most conducive to breathing, and that Floyd shouldn't have killed himself with drugs and crime.

I apologize for neither the cop nor criminal. Anybody that does is underinformed and myopic.
I'd like to see the credible evidence, to start.

If he was supposedly overdosed, why did the cop need to kneel on his neck for over eight minutes?

And "criminal" is irrelevant. The cops don't have the right to snuff out anybody.

The Following User Says Thank You to sgtlethargic For This Useful Post:
Xist (11-01-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 11:32 PM   #678 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,392 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlethargic View Post
I'd like to see the credible evidence, to start.

If he was supposedly overdosed, why did the cop need to kneel on his neck for over eight minutes?

And "criminal" is irrelevant. The cops don't have the right to snuff out anybody.
You could start with the coroners report which was made available to the public early on.

https://www.hennepin.us/-/media/henn...psy-6-3-20.pdf

I watched the video(s) because it was being discussed so much in media, and while the officer was clearly not attending to a person in medical distress, he also wasn't killing him. The thousands of people restrained that way with less than a 4x lethal dose of fentanyl survived the encounter.

The whole thing is unfortunate, and the criminal aspect of the Floyd/Chauvin encounter is relevant because if Floyd had not been involved in criminal activity, he'd have died in his car rather in in police custody.

As I said, I apologize for neither the cop, nor the robber.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Old 10-30-2020, 12:24 AM   #679 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Quote:
Is Thomas Sowell's logic any better than Walter E Williams'?
Kindly describe, in 500 words or less the definitive positions of the two. Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Personal beef.

If, when they asked if he was on something he'd said yes, a different protocol shoulda/woulda been followed. Swallowing what he'd been holding was his last mistake.

None of this explains the Color Revolution.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:55 AM   #680 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
You could start with the coroners report which was made available to the public early on.

https://www.hennepin.us/-/media/henn...psy-6-3-20.pdf

I watched the video(s) because it was being discussed so much in media, and while the officer was clearly not attending to a person in medical distress, he also wasn't killing him. The thousands of people restrained that way with less than a 4x lethal dose of fentanyl survived the encounter.

The whole thing is unfortunate, and the criminal aspect of the Floyd/Chauvin encounter is relevant because if Floyd had not been involved in criminal activity, he'd have died in his car rather in in police custody.

As I said, I apologize for neither the cop, nor the robber.
That he had drugs in his system and common health issues does not change the fact that the cop kneeled on his neck for over eight minutes for no good reason. Does it complicate the case? Yes. But it's also another reason NOT to kneel on someone's neck. The guy's pleading for his life because he can't breathe and the cop snuffed him out on video, just like the Eric Garner case.

What "thousands of people restrained that way"?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sgtlethargic For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (10-30-2020), Xist (11-01-2020)
Closed Thread  Post New Thread