Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2014, 05:37 PM   #361 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
Hi. Tvago, Jose and guys. So my avr programmer has arrived. I installed usb drivers from the website, programmer software itself and of course Anduino 1.0.5-r2.
I opened new scatch with defult name. All driver installed correctly. I checked.

AVR programer is on Com port 4 and AVR prgorammer TTL come port 5. I changed in settings to change to Com port 4 and tried 5 as well. Not sure which one to point Anduino to but tried both.

Programmer is set to AVR ISP but i also tried AVRISP mkII

Board is set to Arduino Duemilanove w/ AT mega 328
(I have Jellybean board with ATmega 328 chip)

Copied and pasted 191 code into scatch. Connected programmer to ISP port on jellybean guino board and clicked on upload.
It went 90% in and completed but on the bottom gave me completion log

Binary sketch size: 20,814 bytes (of a 30,720 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

And nothing changed on mpguino. Still has 0.86 code in there. I pulled positive cable to reboot Guino after code upload and put it back in. Still 0.86 code.

Few questions. I'm not sure my settings are correct. Also not sure if MPGuino should be connected to car battery power source. It was in my case. Also when ISP cable gets plugged in should LCD screen be flashing or just show normal mpguino 0.86 code operation? I tried all configurations btw for 30 min and code did not upload to chip. Also if i want to pull current code and save it to file just in case what are the steps.
My settings are not correct or i'm doing something wrong ??? :/
He liked to help but I have no knowledge to do this, this board is completely foreign to me.
Try using all available boards for atmega 328 Arduino IDE, it may work with some of these boards.

José Rodrigues

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-16-2014, 12:27 AM   #362 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Milano Red VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)
Tvago any ideas my friend. I'm struggling here. I'm at the loss her. I am able to get green led to light up on USB side and amber led on ISP side, where before it use to be red. Red means not connected but amber i think means connection established.

Tvago

1. What board name of Arduino have you used to program the chip? exp. Arduino Uno or other

2. Which programmer ISP port have you used? exp. AVRISP o AVRisp mkII or other

3. Should i use upload or upload with programmer.

4. Which com port 4 which is programmer or com 5 which is ttl serial programmer?

Found a thread on this error. It's connection issue
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 - Arduino Forum

Here is schematics to my board if maybe one can tell from schematic
http://www.dschmidt.com/pdf/MPGuino_JBD.pdf

http://dschmidt.com/MPGuinoJBD.html
Old 05-16-2014, 11:24 PM   #363 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
I have to dig up what I did to get the Pololu programmer to work with the Arduino IDE. It was under Windows XP, and I am now running under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. The XP partition is still there, but I'd have to search in the Arduino config files to see what I did.

It looks like you have your programmer correctly hooked up to your JBD board, though. I am assuming that you have your JBD board hooked up to a separate power source - the programmer will not supply power to the JBD board.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:49 PM   #364 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
I have to dig up what I did to get the Pololu programmer to work with the Arduino IDE. It was under Windows XP, and I am now running under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. The XP partition is still there, but I'd have to search in the Arduino config files to see what I did.

It looks like you have your programmer correctly hooked up to your JBD board, though. I am assuming that you have your JBD board hooked up to a separate power source - the programmer will not supply power to the JBD board.
Thanks T vago. Can i take you up on the offer and send you the chip to reprogrammed it? I think you said it's $5 ? I can paypal your account.

If you're not interested. Can i buy this dev board and put in 328 chip launch andruiono IDE copy and past code into sketch and upload using this board.
Is there any extra code that is in the 328 chip as i noticed chip code in in hex and there is some memory flashing going on. Is Androina IDE addressing all 32k of memory space to address bootloader and other stuff too when compiling?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...140517041838:s

Last edited by stewie; 05-17-2014 at 01:14 AM..
Old 05-17-2014, 07:45 AM   #365 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
T vago I thinks it's great what you and others are doing here. Almost makes me want to go out and get the parts and build my own.

I see you are using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Is that the long term version? What are your thoughts on it? Been using Fedora since I left Windows 2000.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:53 PM   #366 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

Quote:
Thanks T vago. Can i take you up on the offer and send you the chip to reprogrammed it? I think you said it's $5 ? I can paypal your account.
I was considering charging $5, but I did a more detailed analysis of what it would cost to purchase the raw chips, program them, then send them off. I've decided that I can ship off pre-programmed chips for $10.

Quote:
If you're not interested. Can i buy this dev board and put in 328 chip launch andruiono IDE copy and past code into sketch and upload using this board.
Is there any extra code that is in the 328 chip as i noticed chip code in in hex and there is some memory flashing going on. Is Androina IDE addressing all 32k of memory space to address bootloader and other stuff too when compiling?
Certainly, you can use the Arduino Uno, like what you found at NewEgg. You might even find an Arduino Uno at your local Radio Shack. The IDE does address all 32k of the AtMega 328 through the Arduino Uno. I do remember that one of the changes to the IDE I made to support the JBD board was to replicate the Arduino Uno settings to make a new "JBD Board" entry under Board | Tools, and change the clock speed from 16 MHz to 20 MHz. That was actually pretty simple to do.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:59 PM   #367 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
I see you are using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Is that the long term version? What are your thoughts on it? Been using Fedora since I left Windows 2000.
Yah, I think it is the long-term version. Apart from a few annoyingly minor GUI quirks (like the inability to move this stupid Unity button bar around), I rather like the switch to Ubuntu. It's got a really nice system update utility, and it's at about at my level of Linux knowledge. I had an issue when I first switched over, where Ubuntu would not mount the newly made encrypted home directories, but I could fix that once I got into the command line. I also have to chase down this intermittent long-pause-after-resume bug that comes and goes, but that's really low-priority right now.

What's Fedora like?
Old 05-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #368 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

How to add Pololu ISP programmer to Arduino IDE

To use the Pololu ISP programmer with the Arduino IDE to program the JBD MPGuino board using Tools | Programmer, open the programmers.txt file in your Arduino IDE installation. Not sure where Windows 7 or linux stores it, but it's at C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino in Windows XP.

Add the following lines to the end of programmers.txt, then save it. Ensure that the Arduino IDE is not running while you make this edit.

Code:
avrispv2.name=AVR ISP v2
avrispv2.communication=serial
avrispv2.protocol=avrispv2
To add the JBD board as a valid option under Tools | Board in the Arduino IDE, add the following to the end of boards.txt, in the same location where programmers.txt is.

Code:
##############################################################

mpguino_jbd.name=20MHz MPGuino JellyBeanDriver board
mpguino_jbd.upload.using=avrispv2
mpguino_jbd.upload.protocol=arduino
mpguino_jbd.upload.maximum_size=32256
mpguino_jbd.upload.speed=115200
mpguino_jbd.bootloader.low_fuses=0xff
mpguino_jbd.bootloader.high_fuses=0xde
mpguino_jbd.bootloader.extended_fuses=0x05
mpguino_jbd.bootloader.path=optiboot
mpguino_jbd.bootloader.file=optiboot_atmega328.hex
mpguino_jbd.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
mpguino_jbd.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F
mpguino_jbd.build.mcu=atmega328p
mpguino_jbd.build.f_cpu=20000000L
mpguino_jbd.build.core=arduino
mpguino_jbd.build.variant=standard
Old 05-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #369 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Team Honda
T Vago Thank you. I am able to connect to board now but when avrdude tried to flash the chip it give me error: "Wrong Microcontroller found. Did you select right board from tools>Board menu"

Binary sketch size: 20814 bytes (of a 32256 byte maximum)

avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA328P is 1E 95 0F
Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.

The chip is atmega 328-pu. I would like to override this so i looked up how to but didn't work as i'm sure my code is wrong. Now you would ask why i want to overide it. Well chip has no longer valid code inside as while trying to try different board it may have uploaded write code to wrong spot so now displays just some crap. I can still connect to board and chip as you see but i think i may need to overwrite it now. This happened prior to any mods to the code you made. This was with original andruino board which is why it went south. This is why i was asking if andruino ide and your scatch addressed all chips memory. If so i think i just need to overwrite the code and i'm all set. Unless i'm wrong. lol

•PROGRAMMER.force: whether or not to send the "-F" parameter to avrdude, which ignores signature mismatches. Defaults to false if omitted.

http://code.google.com/p/arduino/wiki/Platforms

Tried this avrispv2.force=true in programmers.txt but that didn't work

Can i also specifiy this speed or is this too fast? avrispv2.speed=128000

My settings are jelly board, programmer v2 you did and upload using programmer.

Last edited by stewie; 05-18-2014 at 12:43 PM..
Old 05-17-2014, 07:50 PM   #370 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
What's Fedora like?
Quote:
A new version of Fedora comes out every six months or so. When a new version comes out, the previous version becomes unsupported about a year later.
This is the biggest challenge. I have been quite satisfied with the performance and the update process works great. Haven't used the command much in recent versions, though I will occasionally install programs form the command line.

Reply  Post New Thread