Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2008, 08:25 PM   #31 (permalink)
Aspiring Eco-Modder

TheCivic - '99 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 42.09 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Compaq888 -

That's all I've ever done. I fill from 1/4 tank to 3/4 tank all the time, which is about 5.5 gallons. That's putting me over $20, but at least the "bite" doesn't feel so bad. Remember in the good old days when 5 gallons was $10? That was soooooo four years ago, :

Gasoline Price History
http://www.randomuseless.info/gasprice/gasprice.html

CarloSW2
Hmmm... It seems to me (and I admit I became an English major when I couldn't hack math) that gas prices are rising. So, if we assume that this is true, and not likely to change then if I buy $10 of gas today at say $3.80 (2.63 gal) and in two days the price is $3.82, when I put in the same $10 I'll get 2.61 gal. Wouldn't I be better off paying $20 initially and getting 5.26 gal, instead of the two payments and only getting 5.24 gal for the same cost?

Just ,my $.02

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-28-2008, 08:48 PM   #32 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
It really wouldn't matter, you're getting hosed each time you go to the pump, so put in what ya need and leave less for the thieves that want to syphon your tanks .. LOL

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 05-28-2008, 11:17 PM   #33 (permalink)
Big El Cheapo

big swede - '01 SAAB 9-5 2.3lt
90 day: 31.96 mpg (US)

mighty mite - '09 Honda Fit Sport

The V - '02 Honda CR-V EX-4WD

Ody - '09 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Hah, I'm paying at least $65 once a week to fill up. Before I changed my driving habits, it was twice a week most of the time!
Old 05-29-2008, 12:36 AM   #34 (permalink)
I REFUSE!

VTEC Express - '96 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 57.72 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to thebrad
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikkonceptz View Post
It really wouldn't matter, you're getting hosed each time you go to the pump, so put in what ya need and leave less for the thieves that want to syphon your tanks .. LOL
I fail see how we're getting hosed.

The citizens of the United States have always had the same dependency (if not grossly increasing) on this depleting resource, we've always had the best prices of Western nations (nearly the world over), we've always had to pay for it, so what point are you trying to make exactly?

There's more to these prices than corporate greed and I honestly doubt the extra $2 (calculated from prices I experienced over the past three weeks, $1.71 if you must know) per fill up is really breaking the bank. Sure it's outrageous, but not nearly as outrageous as the American ethos that we should always come first. It's not as if there aren't alternatives, members of this forum are proving this daily.

If gas prices are really breaking the bank, you can go to Costco and sign up for a membership and then apply for their American Express credit card which offers 3% cash back on all gas purchases.

If there's something I missing here, by all means fill me in.

In addendum: The problem is the power is in the people's hand and they don't care enough to make the change. As far as I'm concern, it's that simple. We've had viable solutions for years, but why buy the inline four Camry/Accord/Tacoma/ETC. when the V6 variant gets marginally worse mileage? Why buy a manual transmission? Why do regular service? If it ain't broke don't fix it, right? Why do the speed limit? I mean it's all the little things that add up to one enormous problem. It's the same with weight loss, people want immediate results but aren't willing to put forth the effort and they want someone else to be accountable for their faults, shortcomings and transgressions.

Honestly, it's time to shit or get off the pot. The power is in the people's hand (maybe that's the reason the electorate still exists?), make your choice because I've already made mine. And no, this is not some verbal masturbation and I am not free of fault! I've wasted plenty without much thought of consequence in the past, but honestly people we need to open our eyes, stop blaming others and become socially (if not globally) responsible. I know they were singing about an entirely different subject matter, but it's like Depeche Mode said, "Everything counts in large amounts."

Last edited by thebrad; 05-29-2008 at 12:59 AM..
Old 05-29-2008, 01:08 AM   #35 (permalink)
is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrad View Post
we've always had the best prices of Western nations...If there's something I missing here, by all means fill me in.
Western Nations

Price of gas in Venesula : $0.14

I don't have time to go into the other stuff you're missing. That was just the easy one. You should start by checking out the increase in demand for oil versus the increase in price over the last 5 years.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:48 AM   #36 (permalink)
I REFUSE!

VTEC Express - '96 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 57.72 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to thebrad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatejoefitz View Post
Western Nations

Price of gas in Venesula : $0.14

I don't have time to go into the other stuff you're missing. That was just the easy one. You should start by checking out the increase in demand for oil versus the increase in price over the last 5 years.
I figured Venezuela would come, but tried to word that the best way I could as to exclude them.

But please enlighten me to the intricacies of this issue when you have the time.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:57 AM   #37 (permalink)
Future EV Owner

Wannabe - '05 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
Unlike the US, most countries have nationalized oil production. The price of gas in those countries is held artificially low and is paid for by selling oil on the free market. This keeps the natives from getting restless.

This is also why there is no such thing as "big oil". There may be "big countries," but there is no "big oil". The phrase "big oil" comes from a handful of American politicians that are counting on you being so stupid so that they can sell you a bridge that they don't own and have you thank them for it. Anyone who uses that phrase has contempt for you.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:17 AM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

There may be no big oil, but oil is definately big, and big influence does come with that. Dont take that to mean that I believe that gas is high now because of it either. World demand is starting to take off and there is no new oil, just the hard to get stuff that we have know about forever.

I am reminded again why I like this forum so much. Unlike the long list of theories as to why gas and diesel are up, people get it here and there doesnt seem to be an entitlement to cheap fuel either unlike a truck forum that I post at as well.

Last edited by Duffman; 05-29-2008 at 02:23 AM..
Old 05-29-2008, 04:35 AM   #39 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

DMC - '99 Honda Civic DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
If you're still driving your car the same then what's the difference between 10 dollars a week or 45 dollars once a month
it's $45 for ever 8-10 days. I can't ride my bicycle to work...too far.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:46 AM   #40 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

DMC - '99 Honda Civic DX
I use my atm card or cash to fill up, I don't have a lot of money on my account and i get a paycheck every 2 weeks so I have be really careful with my money. This allows me to have some money on my account in case i really need it. And I can always buy more gas.

$15 lasts me 157.5 miles.

Reply  Post New Thread