Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2009, 03:45 PM   #161 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
The way to derive a rough estimate would be to figure out the mean efficient HP rating of the engine, and the amount of fuel (BSFC chart, anyone?) that it consumes to produce that power. From that you can consider the generator to be ~ 70-75% efficient, and get a fair ballpark for about how much power it's charging the pack with.

From what I've been told, it doesn't charge the pack, though. I believe the motor is in a bypass configuration, where the power generated directly drives the car, and bleed-off power (when more is produced than necessary) feeds the pack after the fact.

IOW, from what I understand, the motor is the "middle man". More correctly, the controller is the middle man, and any excess power given to the controller is sent to the battery pack.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #162 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

White 4Runner - '98 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 23.21 mpg (US)

Grey Jetta TDI - '11 VW Jetta
90 day: 39.17 mpg (US)
I found this on their site.

230 MPG and 25 kWh per 100 miles driven represents a preliminary GM est. of the final approved city rating; actual MPG and electricity consumption will vary based on many factors including driving habits, weather and road conditions and operation of electrical systems in the vehicle.

Assumes fully charged battery. Actual range may vary depending upon driving habits and conditions. Vehicle features and performance capabilities subject to change without notice.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:56 PM   #163 (permalink)
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by srortega View Post
I found this on their site.

230 MPG and 25 kWh per 100 miles driven represents a preliminary GM est. of the final approved city rating; actual MPG and electricity consumption will vary based on many factors including driving habits, weather and road conditions and operation of electrical systems in the vehicle.

Assumes fully charged battery. Actual range may vary depending upon driving habits and conditions. Vehicle features and performance capabilities subject to change without notice.
Thanks to all of you...

I'm happy somebody found some figures on their site, because they certainly had to move them from where they used to be on their home page

Still it looks to me that GM has a disclaimer (no pun) big enough to drive a truck through. I do not see any way of figuring the MPG based on what little they tell us. I bet the EPA did not have much more information either.

Support American
Workers!
Old 10-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #164 (permalink)

It's obvious that the EPA test isn't sufficient for new technologies, and FWIW, they're working on it. Unfortunately, GM is working with them on it, last I heard, so the first hint of real capability/range that we'll see from the Volt may be from it's (potential) first few owners, if they're kind enough to provide the data.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:05 PM   #165 (permalink)

Here's a thought: Gasoline goes bad... what happens if you fill the tank up, and then don't ever drive far enough to use it? We know that it can damage injectors, fuel systems, and pumps with varnish build up, so when/if that happens, and you throw that full tank of fuel away, do you have to count that in with your fuel use? I mean, you may not have gotten use from it, but you DID consume it, did you not?

On that same note, if you only have to use 1l of gas a month due to the VOLT's extraordinary capability, and it's got a 40l gasoline holding cell, you can go nearly 5 years on a tank of gas... well, not really, because fuel economy worsens the longer gas stales. See the point?

Old 10-14-2009, 04:07 PM   #166 (permalink)
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
Check out this info I just found via Google:

Quote:
"The cost of fueling a Volt will be significantly less than gassing up at the pump, Henderson said. In Detroit, where off-peak electricity rates are 5 cents a kilowatt hours, it will cost about 40 cents to recharge batteries overnight.

On the cost of the car itself, Henderson said that GM has not priced the Volt but that it will be expensive because it is a first-generation product. Unconfirmed estimates are said to be around $40,000.

The car will qualify for a $7,500 federal tax credit and GM is working on bringing down the cost of future generations of the Volt, particularly the battery system, he said."
Chevy Volt to pull 230 mpg in city | Green Tech - CNET News

Now, paying 40 CENTS (USD) to travel 40 miles changes everything!

Support American
Workers!
Old 10-14-2009, 04:10 PM   #167 (permalink)

The Tesla can go 15,000 miles on ~$300, IIRC. So 0.40 USD to travel 40 miles is well enough.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #168 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
1 cent a mile, $150 per year in direct fuel cost for 15k miles

My Insight is 3 cents a mile. $450 per year for 15k miles.

The Echo is 4 cents a mile. $600 per year for 15 k miles.

The savings in fuel cost will not cover the higher insurance and property taxes., probably at least another $1000 per year even $2000 in some areas.

Not to mention the interest earned on the money I did not spend. $20,000 at 2% is $400per year.

And if you believe the govt is going to let you drive without paying any road taxes because you buy no gasoline, you don't understand govt and taxes.

15k miles at the max of 40 miles per charge will mean you will have to fully recharge your battery 375 times. Hard to do in one year.

How long does that battery last?

How much does the replacement battery cost?

Lets be realistic folks. Nissan said the cost per mile for the Leaf would be in the range of 5 to 6 cents a mile when you account for all of the direct costs, especially if you consider the life expectancy of the battery. That's with a 100 mile range and a whole lot fewer full recharges in the same distance.

Don't kid yourselves about the battery life and reply with the I'll sell it before the battery goes bad. One of the major cost considerations will be the battery replacement issue, when BEV's become used cars, which happens the day after the first new one is sold.

Jammer you are getting 45 MPG in your Cobalt with a range of probably 500 miles or more.

Call it 5 cents a mile ($2.129 per gallon here today). That's $750 for 15 k miles in fuel cost, or $600 per year more than your 1 cent a mile (wrong because you are forgetting the battery replacement cost) quote for the Volt.

So for $20,000 more than your Cobalt your range is 7% or less (of the Cobalt) and your break even point is somewhere close to 30 years.

Now I just don't see rushing out to buy a car that has a 20 mile operational radius, and the fact that GM has not published any mileage figures when the IC takes over makes me believe they feel it would not enhance their position.

Bean counters have a way of bringing optimists down to earth.

regards
Mech
Old 10-14-2009, 05:35 PM   #169 (permalink)

Can you really consider the interest earned on the money you didn't spend? I mean, if you didn't spend it on the VOLT, would you really have invested it?

Inversely, you would have to count the interest accrued on a finance of the vehicle's purchase price as part of the cost of ownership, should you go about your purchase that way. This is a qualification requirement for the calculation of cost of ownership on any vehicle, not just the VOLT.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:08 PM   #170 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Christ at $40k prices many people do not finance, especially in todays economy.

Its either interest earned or finance charges.

Also depreciation.

The 01 Cadillac Eldorado we found for Pop was $6k with 60 k miles.
About the same price new as the Volt.

regards
Mech

Reply  Post New Thread