Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Why do you drive an auto?
I drive a manual 84 54.90%
I have driven both, and prefer auto 19 12.42%
I have only driven automatics 3 1.96%
I couldn't get the car I wanted with a manual because of buying used 27 17.65%
I couldn't get the car I wanted with a manual because they aren't made (excl hybrid) 16 10.46%
I couldn't get the car I wanted with a manual because it's a hybrid 4 2.61%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
I don't think you understand what driving is like with a stop sign on every corner and traffic lights and traffic virtually everywhere you drive. It requires constant braking and shifting.

I like driving a manual. I don't particularly like automatics, they are just more practical and economical in terms of less maintenance for my environs. Hills have little or nothing to do with it. But needing to shift constantly wears out a clutch, due to unavoidable and relentless use.
I know exactly what you're saying... Gridlocked traffic, start, stop, start, stop, repeat. We have plenty of it here. I'm just saying you're doing it wrong.

If you're on the brakes, you probably sped up too much. If you are accelerating a lot, you're probably using the brakes too much. Try to time your coasting so that the car in front of you starts moving before you get to it.

Shifting doesn't really use up the clutch, slipping the clutch does. You do this mostly when you are starting from a stop. If you keep your car rolling, you have no need to slip the clutch and you will still have good clutch life.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #72 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Charger - '15 BMW i3
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
I know exactly what you're saying... Gridlocked traffic, start, stop, start, stop, repeat. We have plenty of it here. I'm just saying you're doing it wrong.

If you're on the brakes, you probably sped up too much. If you are accelerating a lot, you're probably using the brakes too much. Try to time your coasting so that the car in front of you starts moving before you get to it.

Shifting doesn't really use up the clutch, slipping the clutch does. You do this mostly when you are starting from a stop. If you keep your car rolling, you have no need to slip the clutch and you will still have good clutch life.
Stop signs are the only exception, because a red light requires that you don't pass a marked line, but doesn't actually mean you have to stop. Stop signs legally require that you come to a complete stop, which in most cases is just silly.

The US really needs to start using Give Way (Yield) signs wherever possible, and only put Stops where you cannot see the approaching traffic clearly until you are at the intersection. 4-way Stops seem especially silly to me, roundabouts or 4-way give ways (works like a roundabout without the bump in the road) are much more efficient. They also make liability much clearer in an accident, as you only need to know where each car was coming from, not the order that they showed up in.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:23 PM   #73 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I know exactly what you're saying... Gridlocked traffic, start, stop, start, stop, repeat. We have plenty of it here. I'm just saying you're doing it wrong. If you're on the brakes, you probably sped up too much. If you are accelerating a lot, you're probably using the brakes too much. Try to time your coasting so that the car in front of you starts moving before you get to it.
Yep - I expected some manual tranny enthusiast would tell me I'm "doing it wrong".

Have you ever been to N.Y. City? Have you ever driven a car here? This is relevant to the discussion. I once spent some time driving in California and was amazed how you folks on the left coast piss and moan about how bad the traffic is there. You have mostly four-lane highways and no 'bottlenecks'. That's a piece of cake compared to where I am from. Traffic? Compared to what? I'm sure the traffic in Pusiwallop Washington is nothing compared to Manhattan, or the Bronx, or Brooklyn, or even Queens.

Quote:
If shifting "doesn't really use the clutch up", then a clutch should last forever, right? What nonsense. The more anything involving friction is used, the faster it wears out. "Keep it rolling?" Try doing that at an intersection with one of our newly installed red-light cameras. Summonses are issued by data from road sensors, still and video cameras - with all three in active use - that show anything over 0 MPH recorded at the stop line.

Don't insinuate that I ride a clutch, or ride the brakes. I know better than to do that, but I have no way of proving to you that I don't, nor what traffic is like here. Until you move here and operate a vehicle under the traffic conditions that prevail your comments are not applicable. Brakes do wear out faster in city areas because we need to stop for stop signs on virtually every corner, ubiquitous traffic lights and often being behind semi-comatose drivers, with whom one must share the public roadways, who brake for hallucinations.

And don't worry about me - all the cars I've owned for the past 20 years are all automatics - not out of choice mind you, but out of sheer practicality and economic pragmatism.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:47 AM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Have you ever been to N.Y. City? Have you ever driven a car here? This is relevant to the discussion. I once spent some time driving in California and was amazed how you folks on the left coast piss and moan about how bad the traffic is there. You have mostly four-lane highways and no 'bottlenecks'. That's a piece of cake compared to where I am from. Traffic? Compared to what? I'm sure the traffic in Pusiwallop Washington is nothing compared to Manhattan, or the Bronx, or Brooklyn, or even Queens.
I'd be lying if I said all of Seattle was as bad as New York, but there are certainly areas that are close if not as bad. Seattle is a very narrow strip of land bordered by a lake and the sound which definately creates bottlenecks.

According to:
Worst traffic cities of 2010 - latimes.com
New York's traffic has more hours of congestion per week, but during those hours of congestion, the average speeds are slightly faster than Seattle/Tacoma.

Quote:
If shifting "doesn't really use the clutch up", then a clutch should last forever, right? What nonsense. The more anything involving friction is used, the faster it wears out. "Keep it rolling?" Try doing that at an intersection with one of our newly installed red-light cameras. Summonses are issued by data from road sensors, still and video cameras - with all three in active use - that show anything over 0 MPH recorded at the stop line.:
Shifting is the act of changing from one gear to the next. While shifting, there is very little torque being applied to the clutch and thus very little wear. Nearly all of the wear will be while you slip the clutch starting from a stop.

I'm not advocating running red lights or stop signs, it's not safe and you'll get nailed by red-light cameras here too. I'm just saying try to keep it rolling while waiting for other cars to clear the stop sign or while waiting for the light to turn green.

Quote:
Don't insinuate that I ride a clutch, or ride the brakes. I know better than to do that, but I have no way of proving to you that I don't, nor what traffic is like here. Until you move here and operate a vehicle under the traffic conditions that prevail your comments are not applicable. Brakes do wear out faster in city areas because we need to stop for stop signs on virtually every corner, ubiquitous traffic lights and often being behind semi-comatose drivers, with whom one must share the public roadways, who brake for hallucinations.

And don't worry about me - all the cars I've owned for the past 20 years are all automatics - not out of choice mind you, but out of sheer practicality and economic pragmatism.
I'm not worried about your personal choices or really concerned with proving that you can or can't drive. I just object to the claim that "automatic transmissions [are] a 'must'" for city driving and manuals are for rural driving.

Oddly, city dwellers in Europe don't seem to have trouble with manuals...

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 12-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #75 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
I spent an extra month of searching and several hundred more dollars to find my truck in manual.

I live in the Bay Area, where traffic is just as bad as in NYC (I have lived there too), there are red light cameras, no yield signs anywhere, no such thing as timed lights along main streets, and lots of hills.
Its really not that hard to drive a stick.
Automatics are a luxury, just like power steering and power windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
The Following User Says Thank You to JacobAziza For This Useful Post:
darcane (12-15-2010)
Old 12-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #76 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
+1 for previous 2 posts. Public transportation, not POVs, is the way to travel in congested metropolitan areas.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SentraSE-R For This Useful Post:
darcane (12-15-2010), tumnasgt (12-15-2010)
Old 12-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #77 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
darcane -

Quote:

I'm not worried about your personal choices or really concerned with proving that you can or can't drive. I just object to the claim that "automatic transmissions [are] a 'must'" for city driving and manuals are for rural driving.

Oddly, city dwellers in Europe don't seem to have trouble with manuals...
In Los Angeles we have two of the top-10 (or top-5) freeway congestion intersections in the country. One is the 10/405 interchange, and the other is the 101/405 interchange. To get from one to the other you have to go through the "bottleneck", aka the 405 overpass :

Code:
^
|
N
      |
------+---101-----
      |
^^^^ 405 ^^^^^^ Santa Monica Mountains
      |
------+----10-----
      |
It makes for a disastrous commute. It's not steep, so there's no worry about driving manual. I don't take it because of the time lost.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 12-15-2010, 02:25 PM   #78 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
FWIW -- from Dale Jewetts' article, "Americans Prefer Two Pedals to Three," Automotive Industries, November 1999, page 15:

Overall Industry 1998 Calendar Year:
• North America....83% Automatic / 17% Manual.
• Asia-Pacific.....47% Automatic / 51% Manual.
• Western Europe...13% Automatic / 87% Manual.
• Global...........45% Automatic / 55% Manual.

General Motors 1998 Calendar Year
• North America....90% Automatic / 10% Manual.
• Asia-Pacific.....60% Automatic / 40% Manual.
• Western Europe...90% Automatic / 10% Manual.
• Global...........65% Automatic / 35% Manual.

...sorta 'explains' *why* GM almost went under, ie: they don't "read" their customers very well at all. Instead they push automatics and only reluctantly offer manuals.

Last edited by gone-ot; 12-15-2010 at 02:31 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
darcane (12-15-2010)
Old 12-15-2010, 03:57 PM   #79 (permalink)
Fhqwhgads

Vibe o' the Ozarks - '07 Pontiac Vibe
90 day: 31.22 mpg (US)
Wow, a lot of action in this thread. I think part of the reason I got an automatic instead of a manual was, aside from fiance's preference, I used to live in the sticks and perceived "the city" as some abstract maze of river-like highways, perpetually logged with traffic. Off the highway, the roads would be adorned with stop lights and signs every block, blocked by more traffic. What a mess. Automatic please, said the naive boonies native.

What was I thinking! Now accustomed to StLouis traffic, I could have picked up the manual vibe and done just fine. My lady would just have to relearn manual.

Nonetheless, I maintain my hatred for stop signs.

"Price is what the person pays. Cost is what society pays, here, now, elsewhere and into the future." Natural Capitalism
Old 12-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #80 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Charger - '15 BMW i3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
FWIW -- from Dale Jewetts' article, "Americans Prefer Two Pedals to Three," Automotive Industries, November 1999, page 15:

Overall Industry 1998 Calendar Year:
• North America....83% Automatic / 17% Manual.
• Asia-Pacific.....47% Automatic / 51% Manual.
• Western Europe...13% Automatic / 87% Manual.
• Global...........45% Automatic / 55% Manual.

General Motors 1998 Calendar Year
• North America....90% Automatic / 10% Manual.
• Asia-Pacific.....60% Automatic / 40% Manual.
• Western Europe...90% Automatic / 10% Manual.
• Global...........65% Automatic / 35% Manual.

...sorta 'explains' *why* GM almost went under, ie: they don't "read" their customers very well at all. Instead they push automatics and only reluctantly offer manuals.
The Western Europe difference is incredible. I do wonder if part of it is the type of cars they sell, for example, in NZ GM's most common vehicles are large sedans (the Holden Commodore, used to be sold in the US as the Pontiac G8) and coupe-utilities (like this).

I also find it interesting how Asia (in particular Japan) has a lot of manuals, because NZ imports used vehicles from Japan, yet almost all of them are autos. I suspect that a lot of the time, dealers are making the assumption that people prefer auto, so they import less manuals.