Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2010, 03:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I'm with Pete. The newest car in my stable (Sable) is 12 years old and it suffers from too much tech and it really pizzes me off! For one thing, the door locks think they are smarter than I am and everything locks up as soon as I put it in D. Well it doesn't unlock again when I put in in P so I have to unlock it myself. I will be the one to decide locking/unlocking thank you very much!!! (I hope there's a module of some sort I can disconnect to disarm that feature.) Then there is the chime, which will also become castrated as soon as I find it. And then there is that oval HVAC center I remember when the industrial design mags were bragging that P.O.S. up. I HATE scrolling through digital temp, blower, and vent settings! It takes your eyes and concentration off the road, and it takes too long. They got it right in my '94 F150: THREE BIG TWIST KNOBS for those functions. Ya don't even have to take your eyes off the road to find and turn 'em. As quick as your wrist, they go to where you want 'em. HOW can you beat that?!? I fear the new Ford econocar is going to be loaded down with *unwanted to me* electronic gook too, as auto execs think that's what today's buyer wants. Is it?

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
NachtRitter (03-31-2010)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-31-2010, 03:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevyn View Post
Not to be unfair in another direction, but haven't they been "developing" the Volt for like 4 years now? Is the Cruze that old?
I don't recall how long the Volt's been in development, I'm just saying that given the costs of design and regulatory approvals needed for a new engine developed from the ground up, it makes sense that they would shoehorn an engine being used for something else into the Volt.

Again, not that I'm am GM supporter -- they already got enough of my tax money recently, they don't need any more of it.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
It was the first review that I have heard that really talked about how somebody FELT about the vehicle, instead of being just a long list of specs.
Lack of feelings towards a car has little to do with how well it sells if you ask me. Lots of people just drive cheap and reliable cars getting them from point A to point B. They don't feel anything, they just drive, like they're walking, or any other banal activity. You don't feel much in a Toyota Corolla, yet it's a very successful car.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 03-31-2010, 09:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
I think that may be true in an inexpensive car, but NOT a $40,000 car.

People might drive a beater that they don't care that much for, but they aren't going to buy a luxury car or new cutting edge technology unless it's something they really like.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Old 03-31-2010, 09:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...you gotta love the car more than your money or it's definitely a 'No Sale.'
Old 03-31-2010, 09:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
I imagine that most that will buy the car will love the technology. They won't care about the spaceage gauges. Since the average mileage driven a day is just over 33 miles the recharge time probably won't be much of a factor because it will be done overnight. With tax credits it will probably do well even if gas does not increase a lot. That is if they ever make it to the market.

YMMV

Old 03-31-2010, 09:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
I think people will be shocked at how often they don't need to fill up. For most, the gas is just going to be a security blanket. I hope it takes off, and that others copy it, and phev becomes the new hybrid, and they start making them for under the price of a house.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Old Tele man -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...you gotta love the car more than your money or it's definitely a 'No Sale.'
Yeah, I can understand the utilitarian POV, but I still have to like it. Whether it's the propaganda or mythology or whatever, a lot of people get emotionally attached to their car.

Give me two cars that are ballpark similar and I will start looking at aesthetics. For example, the Honda VX hatchback is an MPG rock star, but I never liked the looks of that generation of Civic. It's grown on me since, but only in relation to disliking the subsequent generations even more. The 2nd gen CRX and it's corresponding Civic hatch are my all-time favorite Hondas. What switched me to Saturn was the 2nd Gen S-Series coupe. I already liked the company, but not the *design* of the cars until the 2nd gen.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 03-31-2010, 11:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ecomodder en route

Vib - '04 Pontiac Vibe base
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Plus, the "sedan" bodystyle is foolish. Give me a hatchback or a streamlined body, or I'm not interested.
The Volt is a hatchback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
I think that's a little unfair -- my understanding was that GM took an off-the-shelf 4-cyl engine (from the Cruze, I think?) because that way it could shorten development time keep costs down.
The off-the-shelf 4-cylindar engines are 2.4, 2.2, and 2.0 liter variations, as of now at least from what I know. The one in the Volt is a 1.4. Not sure if it was purpose made for the Volt, but the turbo version is in the base Cruze. The Cruze will also have a 1.8, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...the Cruze began life in 2008 as the Daewoo Lacetti Premiere (also the Holden Cruze), which means they've had 3 years to "hype" it as a brand-new car for USA.

...WTF? 3 years to move the steering wheel from right to left?
Testing the Cruze in other markets before they put it into their most valuable market. Working all the kinks out. Too much testing for recent GM vehicles? Sometime over-testing just means you REALLY want to get the best thing for your best customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
That is if they ever make it to the market.
You'll see it November. Too much has been put into it to pull out now. Monday the Hammtrack assembly line rolled out its first Volt for certain testing. The 2nd phase before the dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
I think people will be shocked at how often they don't need to fill up. For most, the gas is just going to be a security blanket. I hope it takes off, and that others copy it, and phev becomes the new hybrid, and they start making them for under the price of a house.
That exact reason is why I call the Volt the 'springboard' into a new alternative fuel future. You have that backup, and when you're ready to move onto a full EV, like the Leaf, you'll have confidence that since the car has more than double the EV range your EREV (its easier than typing series hybrid. Plus it sounds cooler) had, you can go further!

The Volt is my dream car. I will admit it through and through. Though pricing isnt official ($30,000-$40,000 before tax break) its too expensive for a teens first car. I'll probably buy a Aveo, then get a year old Cruze later, keep the Cruze for several years, then maybe after a few years of being out of college I'll get the hydrogen-powered Volt. Regardless, I love it.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KITT222 View Post
The Volt is a hatchback.
Ya know.... I have never seen a photo of the Volt with the trunk open! In half the photos, somebody is standing in front of the back quarter of the car, so you can't even see where the lines come together.

That made me want to find a photo of the Volt with the trunk open.

Viola! Here it is! (Care of MotorTrend.com)

Looks pretty comparable to the Prius!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
chevy, review, volt