Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #31 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
This is not an aeromod: plan your trip for daylight so you don't run the lights (1-2mpg some say) and so you get the warm air/road. ALSO two quick mods to consider that I have done and that you could easily reverse as soon as you get to NC--if you wanted to. They are also not aero, but they are easy on most cars: temporarily remove the AC belt and the power steering belt. Many Civics were designed without the PS and had it only as an option. Removing even one of these will be significant.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #32 (permalink)
EcoLurker

truck - '94 Ford F150 XLT
90 day: 13.15 mpg (US)

civic - '00 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 36.24 mpg (US)
the headlight part will be difficult, as it's an 8 hr drive and I had planned to leave after work friday maybe I can do some long days mon-thurs and a half day friday?

I will definitely look into the AC and PS belts... I was under the impression that my civic was manual steering though?
Old 06-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #33 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Execut1ve View Post
I was under the impression that my civic was manual steering though?
Easy to find out if it is... under the hood how many belts are there. The will be one for the alternator and one for the AC and one for the PS. Quick check. On my civic (1998) the AC compressor was under the PS pump, which was right there on top on the right. Your 2000 Civic is still a 6th Generation, like mine. Should be very similar.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #34 (permalink)
EcoLurker

I stand corrected, it does have power steering
Old 06-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hi,
Quote:
This is a coupe, not a hatchback. I though kammback was for hatchbacks and vans and the like?
Depending on the profile, a Kamm back above the rear window is sometimes quite helpful on a coupe or sedan.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 06-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #36 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
I stand corrected, it does have power steering
On my 2262 lbs DX trim for 1998, the PS was only an option, meaning the car was designed for none if desired. Your 2000 still has the 1.6L engine, no? Your EX trim is maybe 2500lbs if heavy, probably more like 2400. You don't need the PS and at highway speeds on this particular excursion, you would not notice the difference. Only parallel parking and the like feels significantly tougher. Personally, I love the PS delete mod. I love how the car rides now.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:47 PM   #37 (permalink)
EcoLurker

that's what I figured as well. Is it driveable with just the belt removed? or do I need to swap in a manual gearbox
Old 06-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #38 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
At close to 100 mph,the Southern California Timing Assoc.couldn't measure any difference in top speed of my Civic,whether mirrors on,or mirrors off.That's to 1/1000 mph accuracy.
They're so good they're not worth messing with.Just my opinion.
Unfortunately for you,the mods that would actually help you are the ones your set against.The back of your car is 'wrong' and that's where its drag is.Very little of what you do at the front will make a difference at the pump.Unless it was extremely radical.
News to me. You drive a sixth generation Civic like mine? I took off both mirrors. Waste of time, I guess. But you also seem to suggest that grille blocks and the like "at the front" will not change anything. Tire spats? Wiper delete? Antenna repositioning? I have also done those at the front. All worthless? If true, then my improvements on the highway (without hypermiling), from roughly 38-40 to 49-51 (I can't tell exactly), would be entirely from tire pressure, a WAI, weight reduction, and rear mudflap delete.

Quote:
that's what I figured as well. Is it driveable with just the belt removed? or do I need to swap in a manual gearbox
I'm not sure I know what you mena, but yes, I find the car drivable without power steering. Absolutely.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #39 (permalink)
EcoLurker

there's a difference between having manual steering and running with the PS pump disconnected from the belt (at least on my truck, I assume the honda is comparable). if the power steering pump is still connected to the gearbox (or rack, whichever the honda has) every time you turn the wheel you have to force the ps fluid through the pump as well as manually turn the steering shaft/gear. On my truck that makes it pretty much impossible to steer with the power steering pump just disconnected from the belt... if I'm wrong someone correct me
Old 06-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #40 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
there's a difference between having manual steering and running with the PS pump disconnected from the belt (at least on my truck, I assume the honda is comparable). if the power steering pump is still connected to the gearbox (or rack, whichever the honda has) every time you turn the wheel you have to force the ps fluid through the pump as well as manually turn the steering shaft/gear. On my truck that makes it pretty much impossible to steer with the power steering pump just disconnected from the belt... if I'm wrong someone correct me
Oh. Yeah. I took out the PS hardware too. Steering is easy, as easy as an old time VW Bug.

Reply  Post New Thread