Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Did you pick up any new tips from the list?
Yes 268 92.41%
No 22 7.59%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2009, 05:31 PM   #161 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

careful with point 55

Okay - let me be more specific here, since you already mention "should not be attempted until the skill developed away from traffic. In addition, coasting with the engine off is illegal in some areas."

The reason why it is illegal in some states (and other countries) certainly has to do with the fact that in case of an emergency power-assisted braking (besides other safety systems) is not available with the engine turned off, thus increasing stopping time and distance TREMENDOUSLY, potentially causing an impact that could have been avoided otherwise (not even talking about potential injuries and damages). Car manufacturers work hard to maximize safety by increasing stopping power which can be measured for example in meters or yards from 60-0 and much of it relies on power assisted breaking as well as power-assisted ABS systems (which enables to steer AND swerve while braking with maximum force). As is the case with almost any emergency, they are mostly unforeseeable. I do not recommend to use this technique other than in the wide open without traffic - it is simply compromising too many safety measures of most cars (i.e. power steering, ABS, servo assisted braking, ESP, to name the most common). Besides, causing an accident due to self-induced lack of braking power is certainly an issue for insurers! I think point 55 (engine off version) is potentially the most unsafe/dangerous here. Rather be safe than sorry!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #162 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
I wouldn't do it in my 2005 vehicle, but I don't have anything that requires the engine to be running in my '94 Honda VX... No power steering, no ABS, no ability to read minds (ESP), etc. Brake boost is vacuum, and it holds for about 10 brake applications (I tested in a safe environment).

I understand you think it to be unsafe, and therefore I suggest you don't use this tip. I am comfortable using it and will continue to use it under the appropriate conditions despite your objection to the tip.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #163 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtRitter View Post
I wouldn't do it in my 2005 vehicle, but I don't have anything that requires the engine to be running in my '94 Honda VX... No power steering, no ABS, no ability to read minds (ESP), etc. Brake boost is vacuum, and it holds for about 10 brake applications (I tested in a safe environment).

I understand you think it to be unsafe, and therefore I suggest you don't use this tip. I am comfortable using it and will continue to use it under the appropriate conditions despite your objection to the tip.
I only think that this method requires some very good understanding of how your cars components work - and I'd consider it an expert tip to be used with caution under specific conditions only -

Other than that, I am an avid coaster myself, occasionally with engine turned off where appropriate.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:31 PM   #164 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

yes, anyone who must cut ignition , ok , do it , but i do not recommend telling others to do it , for liability reasons and for putting others at risk.
what if engine don't restart. then what. Double foot screaming to the ditch ?

this activity needs to be engineered into car , read FORDs main technology page.

on some cars,the power booster is way more powerful, than other cars.
and when the vacuum hits atmospheric ambient , the loss on some cars is profound.
I had a Pontiac that did that. " i always test all cars like this to learn the habits)
i also taught wife to drive with no power steering and no brakes.
I learned to drive in days of POINTS, LEADED GAS and engines died all the time.
You learn quick how to handle it. but today they don't even teach this in school.
the car is magic, it always works.....

it also changes the balance of the car,
in fuel cut mode ( the RWD car , pulls back like Arrow fletching)
the car is designed to be safe for these conditions.
cut and coast is not part of the original plan.
braking and handling change.
The Following User Says Thank You to jtgh For This Useful Post:
greenman (08-10-2010)
Old 03-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #165 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
In addition, power brake systems are designed with a "reserve" by which you can press and release the brakes (WITH POWER) several times.

It is also a simple matter to modify the vehicle to increase this reserve, if so desired.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
The Following User Says Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
greenman (08-10-2010)
Old 03-02-2009, 02:06 AM   #166 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtRitter View Post
... No power steering, no ABS, no ability to read minds (ESP)...

Last edited by maruk; 03-02-2009 at 06:34 PM..
Old 03-02-2009, 06:29 PM   #167 (permalink)
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by maruk View Post
Great find and timely. We've been looking at Edmunds write-up on skid-pan performance. This video really shows why any such testing should be done with both vehicles having their EPS (or ESC) enabled. Skid-pan performance does not apply.

OWCH! I voted "Yes" thinking of this excellent review of electronic stability control systems. Apparently the 'list' is the "100+ Hypermiling tips" but you know, one "No" vote is not really going to change things.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 03-02-2009 at 06:45 PM..
Old 04-27-2009, 01:38 PM   #168 (permalink)
Mechanical engineer

Siitin - '98 Seat Cordoba Vario
90 day: 58.56 mpg (US)

VW Lupo 3L --> 2L - '00 VolksWagen Lupo 3L
Diesel
90 day: 104.94 mpg (US)

A8 luxury fuel sipper - '97 Audi A8 1.2 TDI 6 speed manual
90 day: 64.64 mpg (US)

Audi A4B6 Avant Niistäjä - '02 Audi A4b6 1.9tdi 96kW 3L
90 day: 54.57 mpg (US)

Tourekki - '04 VW Touareg 2.5TDI R5 6 speed manual
90 day: 32.98 mpg (US)

A2 1.4TDI - '03 Audi A2 1.4 TDI
90 day: 45.68 mpg (US)

A2 1.4 LPG - '02 Audi A2 1.4 (75hp)
90 day: 24.67 mpg (US)
Is there already a tip how to get green light traffic light faster? If not here it comes .

In finland some of the lights work with light detectors and some with pressure detectors. So this works only with ligth detectors...

So when car comes close the ligths it turns green after few seconds 5-10 if there is no other traffic. So when you are gliding towards the lights, (works only when it starts to be little dark) just flash your driving lights few times when you are gliding towards the lights and when you are 50 meters close they usually change to green.

Notice this is not wise if there is a car on the other side of the lights!!!

Last edited by Vekke; 04-27-2009 at 01:44 PM..
Old 04-27-2009, 02:27 PM   #169 (permalink)
Eco Dreamer

Versa - '08 Nissan Versa SL Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vekke View Post
Is there already a tip how to get green light traffic light faster? If not here it comes .

In finland some of the lights work with light detectors and some with pressure detectors. So this works only with ligth detectors...

So when car comes close the ligths it turns green after few seconds 5-10 if there is no other traffic. So when you are gliding towards the lights, (works only when it starts to be little dark) just flash your driving lights few times when you are gliding towards the lights and when you are 50 meters close they usually change to green.

Notice this is not wise if there is a car on the other side of the lights!!!
Maybe things are different in Finland, but that is just an urban legend here in the US. Traffic lights are either timed, or go off of magnetic fields (wires in the road detect the steel in a car if it is present). This legend is based on the fact that emergency vehicles can change the signal and the small flashing light on the stoplight bar starts flashing, but emergency vehicles use infrared transmitters to change the signal, not lights.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #170 (permalink)
Manic Rabbit

Slow-n-Low - '81 Volkswagen Rabbit S
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
There are some lights here in Colorado, near fire departments/emergency services facilities that have some kind of light sensor... otherwise, I agree, its a myth

Driven on Colorado roads, where NOTHING is flat
Present City 3x / Highway 4x
Goal: 4x / 5x
Reply  Post New Thread