Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Did you pick up any new tips from the list?
Yes 267 92.39%
No 22 7.61%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011, 09:45 PM   #341 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Would some insulation around the cat help? Lots of folks here block off a lot of openings to help the engine retain heat and fab up belly pans as well. It looks like you're doing really good work monitoring emissions; seeing how they change with some shrouding or actual insulation could turn it into something groundbreaking- seeing if standard aero mods help (or can be tweaked to help) keep emissions where they ought to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-23-2011, 10:29 AM   #342 (permalink)
Calibration Engineer

Subie - '00 Subaru Impreza STi JDM
90 day: 22.49 mpg (US)
A 5 second interval is fairly typical for a 5 gas analyzer. I don't think it's adjustable either. When I have the time to play with it I've been thinking of opening the unit up so I can datalog the values directly. Thus far I've been doing it with a video camera then pulling the data from that

For the age of the vehicle, yes it's older but the VX was Honda's high efficiency engine and it does have some features like an onboard wideband and EGR.

More modern engines / management systems do have features to help cat lightoff - noteably the layout. Most transverse engines now have the intake on the front and exhaust on the rear which allows a cat to be placed closer to the engine. GDI engines have special startup modes that pull timing and add extra fuel to help the cat light quicker.

An interesting addition to this study would be to add an EGT probe to the cat so the cooldown time and lightoff could be measured. For sure extra insulation does help. I have many clients who can't pass the Ontario DriveClean because they put a header on their honda. Putting exhaust heat wrap on the header lowers their e-test results significantly. Emissions are very highly related to cat temp. Buying a $59.00 whitebox special cat doesn't help either

Old 10-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #343 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

nice and very detailed tips that cover almost every aspect of ecodriving. I would like to suggest one more tip that comes from an episode of mythbustes: If you drive on a highway in a hot day is preferable (concerning mpg gain) to have the windows open instead of using the A/C
Old 10-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #344 (permalink)
Losing the MISinformation

Quad Cam - '00 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX
Last 3: 25.94 mpg (US)
Not according to the Missouri State Highway Patrol. :-) At least if you spend most of your time driving at highway speeds... They did a test many years ago that tracked around 25 patrol cars for some 500,000 miles that discovered that above 50 mph the extra turbulence from the open windows overcomes the gains. Oh, and for Mythbusters to actually PROVE that something is a myth or not, they REALLY should go at it for more than ONE test, LOL!!! If it hasn't been repeated elsewhere, (the proof is in the repeatability) then it is just adding to the misinformation...

The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal...
Old 10-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #345 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Try using a 1-2" opening on both the driver's window and the right rear. Minimal aero drag, but lots of airflow through the car. If you need more, go to 4" driver and 2" on each rear window. That's how I handle the Texas summer with no AC, so I can assure you that it works.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 10-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #346 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
Try using a 1-2" opening on both the driver's window and the right rear. Minimal aero drag, but lots of airflow through the car. If you need more, go to 4" driver and 2" on each rear window. That's how I handle the Texas summer with no AC, so I can assure you that it works.
Any recommendations on 2-door hatches? I generally try 1-2" on the passenger side to swirl the breeze back to the driver's side -- it can also force more draw on the vents without using the fan motor -- but otherwise, the hidden rear vent doesn't move much air, so the A/C crops-in when it gets close to 80F. But, I wont have to worry about that much longer this year

RH77

_
_
Old 10-11-2011, 10:41 PM   #347 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
That's a tough one. I'm not sure there's a good way to handle that without AC or major wind turbulence.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 10-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #348 (permalink)
EcoModding spendthrift

WindedWarrior - '12 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
That's a tough one. I'm not sure there's a good way to handle that without AC or major wind turbulence.
On my old '00 Civic Si I'd leave the windows up and crack the sunroof. With the AC & recycler off it would still flow air in through the AC vents. It would also heat and cool depending on the temp setting.

"May the wind always be at your back and the sun always upon your face. May the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars."
~ Boston George

Last edited by TXwaterdog; 10-12-2011 at 03:25 PM..
Old 10-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #349 (permalink)
EcoModding spendthrift

WindedWarrior - '12 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)
*2 fold eco tip!

*Try packing your Golf clubs, disc golf discs, A bicycle or a fishing pole. When I get stuck in traffic sometimes I pull over and kill an hour doing anything but driving in traffic, hell the pub is a good way to kill an hour. I honestly can stop to fish for an hour and I only show up 20 mins later to the house vs sitting in traffic.

This reduces gas, emissions and stress! Plus you might bring home dinner, improve your swing or work on your health riding your bicycle.

"May the wind always be at your back and the sun always upon your face. May the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars."
~ Boston George
The Following User Says Thank You to TXwaterdog For This Useful Post:
Vekke (11-25-2011)
Old 12-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #350 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

RebCivic - '12 Honda Civic EX
I've been lurking for a week or so and while these tips are useful, I think compiling 4 separate lists of tips would be more helpful:
non-hybrid manual
non-hybrid automatic/cvt
hybrid manual
hybrid automatic/cvt

Having to wade through so many irrelevant tips to find the ones that are relevant to one's vehicle is both intimidating and time-consuming, not to mention risky as someone could be tempted to try a tip that is not appropriate for the vehicle they are driving. For example:

The auto/cvt lists could be further broken down by flat-towable vs. non-flat-towable so nobody is tempted to ruin their transmissions using the EOC technique, or even coasting in neutral above the speed recommended in the vehicle manual.

Reply  Post New Thread