Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2022, 03:39 PM   #1031 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I don't have any idea. That was a couple of years ago and I didn't seem to mention it in this thread.

It looks like it started accruing interest immediately.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-01-2022, 04:52 PM   #1032 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Use it or lose it, then?

Old 11-01-2022, 05:14 PM   #1033 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I got that small business loan Kevin told everyone to get, but when I read the fine print I couldn't use it, so I returned it in full. I keep receiving messages to start making payments, but I hadn't been able to log in and see what I owed.

I finally got in and it says that I owe $500 in interest. It looks like I returned my loan of $12,900.00 on 05/18/2021, with $12,426.85 going to principal, and $473.15 going to interest, leaving a balance of $473.15. I have accrued $25.86 on that and owe a grand total of $499.01.

So, take advice from poor people, not millionaires?
Depends on how that millionaire made their money and whether or not they know anything about the topic they are giving advice on.

In the case of Meet Kevin - he makes his money selling the dream that anyone can become rich through real estate investing. According to a CNBC article on him he makes 96% of his income from YouTube and his YouTube money is funding his real estate business. He also tried to start a construction company doing home renovations and lost $1 million in 18 months before quitting and focusing back to what he knows - YouTube.

He would be one of the first people I would take advice from on how to make money on YouTube.

I wouldn't take advice on work / life balance from him. He works 12 hours a day 5 am to 5 pm.
Old 11-01-2022, 06:12 PM   #1034 (permalink)
Not Doug

The thing about being an influenza is you can lose, post videos about it, and win in the end.
Old 11-01-2022, 09:32 PM   #1035 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You could buy the book:

Quote:
https://fourminutebooks.com › how-to-fail-at-almost-everything-and-still-win-big-summary
How To Fail At Almost Everything And Still Win Big Summary
For Scott Adams, the creator of the world-famous Dilbert office cartoon, life's path wound just the same. Through many jobs, failed startups, and useless patents, he eventually an outlet that made his failures accessible to the world. Now, Dilbert has been in circulation for almost 30 years. In How To Fail At Almost Everything And Still Win ...

Old 12-23-2022, 04:22 PM   #1036 (permalink)
Not Doug

There is a 1,200-square-foot mobile home for $95,000

I saw it a few days ago, shared it with my girlfriend, and now the listing says that it was posted yesterday.

It was three days old when I found it days ago!

It shows being posted for sale 3 days ago, but nothing before that.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...60357306_zpid/

It seems like the furniture is far too small for such a small place. There is supposed to be an addition, but none of the rooms seemed decently-sized.

Of course, Mom doesn't want me buying this and moving my projects cars and presumably my tools there.

The tools she insists fill up her garage, but actually occupy 1.25 rolling tool chests.

Last edited by Xist; 12-28-2022 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: I shared the link twice.
Old 12-24-2022, 07:44 PM   #1037 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I saw it a few days ago, shared it with my girlfriend, and now the listing says that it was posted yesterday.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...60357306_zpid/
"Lot rent $460/mo."

Never own a home and rent the lot under the home.

Mobile home parks are popular commercial investments because the renters are trapped. It cost thousands to move a mobile home and park owners know their renters don't have that kind of money. So they can steadily jack up the lot rent while neglecting basic park maintenance and their renter's can't do anything about it. Bonus - when the renters can't pay rent and can't afford to move the mobile home you get to seize the mobile home and sell it to a new sucker.

If you want a mobile home buy a lot and put a mobile home on it or buy one on a lot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (12-25-2022), Xist (12-28-2022)
Old 12-24-2022, 08:25 PM   #1038 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Mobile home parks are popular commercial investments because the renters are trapped.
Renting ground to sketchy people like me is having a tiger by the tail. Some are litigious, some exit via arson.

I've survived a series of slumlords, the current owner is a corporate overlord. The local manager is tribal.

They cut down all the trees, except the one that is the bane of my situation ( ) and then ripped up the original paving instead of top coating (again) and now there are red stripes along the fire lanes and white hatching on no parking areas.

If I had a lot, I'd want a modular reconfigurable building system. Nobody would not let me do that, but there would be road-blocks every step of the way. It would have to be a legal shot-gun shack with a semisubmersible up on blocks in the back yard.

Old 12-25-2022, 10:05 AM   #1039 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Just as a point of reference: how moveable would the moveable bits be? Sewage removal is a pain to reconfigure and I haven't seen a flex system that's maintenance free.. what you seem to want is a shipping container house
Old 12-25-2022, 10:23 AM   #1040 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
"Lot rent $460/mo."

Never own a home and rent the lot under the home.

Mobile home parks are popular commercial investments because the renters are trapped. It cost thousands to move a mobile home and park owners know their renters don't have that kind of money. So they can steadily jack up the lot rent while neglecting basic park maintenance and their renter's can't do anything about it. Bonus - when the renters can't pay rent and can't afford to move the mobile home you get to seize the mobile home and sell it to a new sucker.

If you want a mobile home buy a lot and put a mobile home on it or buy one on a lot.
Exactly! Like here there's a place we call "Country Ghettos" because of the poor shape of the trailer park. Yet in the past year it has sold several times, each time the rent has gone up. It is at least triple the rent compared to two or three years ago. Many are still paying for their trailer on top of the cost to rent the lot.

The thing is that when that happens you also end up with a lot of angry tenants who don't care if they make the place even worse. So the park managers make stricter rules, but the tenants get even more frusterated and do even more things to make the landlords mad. Meanwhile, the company that bought the property is a "no face" company who's owner is in another part of the world that no one can reach to ask questions or anything of the sort.

I wouldn't pay $95,000 for a trailer home unless I was dead sure the owners were not going to sell or raise the rent. I paid $500 for my trailer home 11 years ago and am quite happy with my purchase. I just hope the owners don't die or something because then the land would fall into someone else's hands and they would very, very likely raise the rent. I would probably tear down the trailer and take it to a landfill if that happened.

Last edited by Isaac Zachary; 12-25-2022 at 10:29 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread