Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2014, 11:09 PM   #91 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
If you vote for the lesser of two evils, you are still voting FOR evil.

I stopped voting for either party, and only vote for candidates that I can actually stand behind. Sometimes there are 3rd party candidates I vote for (typically libertarians) sometimes it's none-of-the-above. The lesser of two evils does NOT get my vote.
I do the same. Not that my vote "counts", but I know what I stand for and my conscience is clear.

Politicians are like soiled diapers - they need to be changed and discarded frequently. The other description is that incumbents are like weeds - don't let them grow roots.

But America will be reshaped and remolded soon with a newly invited wave of useful idiots who will be eager to exercise their voting power. Will you benefit from this?

"Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy night."

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-27-2014, 01:43 PM   #92 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
But America will be reshaped and remolded soon with a newly invited wave of useful idiots who will be eager to exercise their voting power. Will you benefit from this?
I don't know about that. In my experience, the newly invited useful idiots tend to average slightly less idiotic than the home-grown variety. I just wish we could arrange to export a bunch of those :-)
Old 06-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #93 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
If you vote for the lesser of two evils, you are still voting FOR evil.
In the absence of a viable alternative, sometimes that is necessary. Or, declare apathy and forfeit your right to complain.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:03 PM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
In the absence of a viable alternative, sometimes that is necessary. Or, declare apathy and forfeit your right to complain.
I wholeheartedly disagree.

This line of thinking is exactly why we have no viable alternatives. We have had the two worst Presidents as far as making a mockery of the constitution, one right after the other. One Republican, one Democrat. Both parties are the problem. Continue to vote for them, and we will continue our downhill slide.

I am not apathetic at all, and I will continue to complain.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
The Following User Says Thank You to darcane For This Useful Post:
XYZ (06-27-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 05:50 PM   #95 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
Darcane there have been incumbents from both parties taken out by tea party candidates. For being a non-party, they have appeal to a lot of people.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
Old 06-27-2014, 07:25 PM   #96 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
If you want change vote the incumbent out. Without any job security you might see a change, but I doubt it with the principle objective being buying votes with debt passed on to the next generation.

regards
Mech
Old 06-27-2014, 08:40 PM   #97 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

To Be Determined (Too-be) - '15 Chevrolet Malibu LS Eco
90 day: 35.41 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
At last count on my crappy little website (well aware that I haven't updated it in forever and the design is lousy and all those things, the site is darn near last on my list of things to do, if I don't get rid of it altogether), 34 third parties exist in the U.S. on a national level. Yes, many of them are frankly not people most would want in charge, but there are some with mass appeal. Don't be fooled by the fact that the two big parties have forced all competition out of the debates.

Vote Other | Third Parties

*Posting it because it's appropriate to the discussion. I don't advertise or link to any other site I own, it's simply an informational site. I'll take the link down if requested.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:37 PM   #98 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
If you want change vote the incumbent out. Without any job security you might see a change, but I doubt it with the principle objective being buying votes with debt passed on to the next generation.

regards
Mech
If you are fond of corruption and cronyism, let the incumbent politicians grow roots and become entrenched and imbedded. Most of the supporters of incumbents don't want to have their "security" threatened any more than the incumbent does. If those who support the politician benefit, they continue supporting him. It's hard to dig out roots of weeds that have been there a very long time. The incumbent political leader has deep roots. We might say he is just the tip of the iceberg. He has a lot of unseen support at his base.

However, you are right about the chimera of voting for the alternate party when (in political reality) there are only two viable choices that have a large "war chest" of party financial backing. They win by playing the easily swayed populace with no real competition. When there are effectively only two major party choices, that's AKA "the lesser of two evils".

It's been said "better the devil you know than the devil you don't know". But that's no reason to vote for any devil - be they new or old. It's merely the other side of the same coin.

"In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant."

Does anyone recognize this quote?
Old 06-27-2014, 10:41 PM   #99 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post

regards
Mech
The debt will be be passed on, regardless.

Votes will always be bought, regardless.

Either way, you won't benefit. Someone else might...
Old 06-27-2014, 11:23 PM   #100 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
I do think we need a dedicated LGBT party, a more active green party, and a traditional labor party, and a few specific race based parties to come along side the democrat party. That would be awesome to have all those choices to pick from.

Reply  Post New Thread