Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #91 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Huh. I have honestly never thought about it before. I always assumed that wider = more grip. And you know what assuming does.....

BAM. A paradigm shift just happened. I guess that's what this forum is for.

Enough about this...more details about the Vette please!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #92 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
Enough about this...more details about the Vette please!
Agreed. But we have to wait 'till Monday...
Old 02-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #93 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

EVVette - '71 Chevy Corvette Coupe
First Monday Update!

Hopefully I can stick with steady updates.

I was able to get a few hours in each day this weekend.

Saturday I got some more work done on the firewall and body of the car. I was able to start smoothing out all the repair fiberglass and work on blending all the edges. Some surfaces were so far off, that when I sanded them down, I ended up going right through. This isnt a big deal and I was kinda expecting it. I will just add another layer of fiberglass to the inside and outside and sand again. This time, I wont end up with the big hole.....can you see it??

Untitled by AdamBrunette, on Flickr

Rick and I also started some of the more tedious work on the body as well. When the car had been put back together before, with the bent frame, the body ended up crooked as well. So we have to fix this. We started by heating the bonding strip that holds the front edge of the left quarter panel on and was able to break the glue lose. Just in doing this, caused the quarter panel to move very easily. Originally we had thought we needed to replace it, Now we dont even think it needs to come all the way off! we just need to lift the back of the car and glue the quarter back on and it should be all set! Very exciting. BTW, a quarter panel is $365, glad it doesn't need replacing!

We also started work on the door sill part of the car. This piece was just so broken, that we decided to replace it with a piece of the junkyard car. This was pretty easy to do. A few cuts with a sawzall and the old one was out. The a little grinding and cutting and the replacement piece fits perfectly.

Heres a pic of the piece cut out and if you look closely, you can see the edge of the detached quarter panel.

On Sunday, I was able to get some work done on another piece of the project. A custom subwoofer enclosure for the car. Now im sure your thinking "Why would you waste space and weight on subwoofers?" Well you are partially right. Heres some backstory. The car originally has only 2 speakers in the kick panels in the front of the car. These are 4x6" little things. Absolutely no low end is coming from these. It was an option in a later year to get 2 more of these speakers in the dash. So this is what I will be doing, but still no low end. To balance everything out front to back, I will be adding 2 more of these speakers to the panels of the coupe. But still no low end. Im not looking for thunderous bass in the car, just enough to round out the frequency response and make it sound good.

So here is what I came up with.

Directly behind the seats of the car is 2 storage cubby's. Originally, these had the cars battery and the jack in them. Well now, the jacks cubby will be a subwoofer box. BUT, this will be a very special box. I still want to be able to use these storage compartments for mounting of the amplifier for the speakers and the onboard computer as well as some other little stuff.

What I ended up doing was using some very cool little subwoofers. They are 6.5" high excursion woofers. They are small, light, and very capable. So what I decided to do was build the most compact box that I could, while achieving maximum output. I decide to build a Bandpass style box. This is a box that the woofer is completely inside the box, mounted on a divider to make 1 box, 2 box's. One of the box's is sealed, and the other half is a tuned ported half.

O, I forgot, I have to replace this storage section of the car with one that came from a junkyard car because the one in the car now is smashed up. This makes it really easy to develop the box outside the car.

I started by creating the divider plate for splitting the storage bin into the 2 compartments.

This was mainly 2 hours of cutting, recutting sanding and some more cutting to get the pieces to fit perfectly. The next piece I made was the front part to seal it off.

After each chamber was defined, I covered the speaker holes with tape and filled each chamber individually with sand to get a measured volume. This is a very important part of tuning the port in the second chamber.

After I got my measurements, I built the top of the box. This will serve as the rest of the enclosure and the mounting shelve for the computer and amplifier. I designed this to be 2 parts so half can be removed if the subs ever need to be accessed.

One change I need to make to the car to make all this worth it is to change the compartment door's to a later year's version. Originally the car has 3 doors. One for jack, one for battery and a smaller one for storage. The later years share the jack and storage and the battery has its own. This what I will end up using.

And the original:

This will allow me acces to the computer and amp when I need it, but they will stay hidden so nobody will know they are there! Should look very good.

Well I think thats it for this weekend. More to come soon!

-Adam

You can download RTD Explorer for the Cougar controllers at www.EVVette.com

Last edited by adamj12b; 02-06-2012 at 11:48 AM..
Old 02-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #94 (permalink)
AeroGuy

Outback 14 - '14 Subaru Outback Limited
90 day: 23.1 mpg (US)
Wow, I am impressed!
Old 02-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #95 (permalink)
Eco-ventor

Princess - '92 Mazda MX-3 GS
House of Tudor
Team Mazda
90 day: 53.54 mpg (US)

Shirubāarō (*´ω`*) - '05 Toyota Prius Executive
Team Toyota
90 day: 54.88 mpg (US)

Blue Thunder - '20 Hyundai IONIQ Trend PHEV
Team Hyundai
Plug-in Hybrids
90 day: 587.16 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to jakobnev
Were you never tempted to put 8 solenoids in a V-shape and have them turn a crank?

2016: 128.75L for 1875.00km => 6.87L/100km (34.3MPG US)
2017: 209.14L for 4244.00km => 4.93L/100km (47.7MPG US)
Old 02-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #96 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobnev View Post
Were you never tempted to put 8 solenoids in a V-shape and have them turn a crank?
You mean build an electro-magnet power engine? Basically this would be an electric motor.

-Adam

Old 03-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #97 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

diegudio's leonidas - '09 Seat Leon 1.4 TSI

the big ship - '11 VW Sharan
Hi!... Very nice job!... Congratulations!

I have just one doubt... looking at the pictures I can't figure out all the fixations from the motor+gearbox to the chassis... I only see the two lateral arms... Is this all that you're planning? If so, it would be interesting if you check the strength of that structure... don't forget that the torque generated by the motor should be contrarrested by that fixation, and the fixation doesn't look strong enough for the torque of that engine...

If you need some help with the strength check, let me know... I work as stress analyst...

Greetings from Austria!
ex VW Polo 1.9 TDI 100 CV (74 kW) - 47,1 MPG - diesel
Old 03-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #98 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
Any progress, Adam?
Old 03-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #99 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Well its Wednesday and not a Monday like I promised, But things have been craze lately.

Since the last update, I have gotten a fair bit more done on the car.

I mostly finished up the speaker box by mounting the woofers in the center section and gluing it in place. All that's left is some additional mounting flanges for the lid to screw into.

The fiberglass rear tub is ready to be put in the car now and will replace the smashed up one that's in there now.

On the actual car, I was able to get some more holes filled in on the rear deck. These were used to mount the luggage rack which will not be going back on, and the antenna, which is being replaced with a windshield mount style.

Here are the 6 holes and the antenna hole all filled in before being sanded down.

When we got through the paint and all the body on the back cornor of the car, we found this wonderful crack.

That has gotten 5 layers of fiberglass to start building it back up, as well as the spoiler lip that was worn down.

I finished up the major holes in the firewall and got them all sanded smooth.

And started filling in all the smaller holes that weren't needed, and fixing the last 2 cracks.

You can see toward the right side where in the angles where the panels are broken apart.

Here is the back side of the same area.

Last Sunday, we were able to finally make the decision that the quarter panel needed to come off in order to raise the drivers side corner of the rear deck to the height it needed to be so it doesn't look like the car is leaning to the left. This sadly, didn't even take 15 minutes to get off. They did such a horrible job putting it on, that almost half of it wasn't attached!! After grinding through 1/4" of body filler in the seam, we found the bonding strip. The some heat and the glue just popped apart.

Its kinda tough to compare, but its visible. Here is the before and after of the position of the rear deck.

Before:

After:

And, like the rest of the car, you find 2 more problems for 1 that you fix.

Once the quarter panel was off, I found out that it was cracked in half and held together with bondo, and that the inner fender was horribly put back together. Well I will have to fix both of these things....

You can see the crack towards the left of the picture.

This weekend I hope to get all the fiberglass work done and on to bondo and smoothing everything out. Well see how it goes...

-Adam

The Following User Says Thank You to adamj12b For This Useful Post:
eco_generator (03-22-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #100 (permalink)
AeroGuy

Outback 14 - '14 Subaru Outback Limited
90 day: 23.1 mpg (US)
This thread is simply blowing my mind. Wow. And excellent work so far!

Reply  Post New Thread