Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbo View Post

Aerodynamics are which can be improved quite a bit, do you have still engine bay bottom cover? Do you have front spoiler/lip?
You can see both in this pic, bit twisted lip as I did hit large rabbit close to 120kph when driving tired at night, crazy things we do when young
http://jtbo.pp.fi/images/240/DSC_0002.JPG pic is very large, so I put it as url.

I hardly managed to get less than 7l/100km, but then again at that time I had still not understood meaning of time, my avg speed for 850km trip used to be above 100kph, so compared to that it did not use lot of diesel.

I did use 10w30 fully synthetic truck oil, car has oil capacity of over 7 litres with filter from my memory and I did change oil almost monthly at that time because of lot of driving.
Ram air is also one thing to consider, it is long time since I was under the hood of mine, so can't really remember how filter box was, but I think that it should not be big job to put pipe under front bumper and tape airbox holes shut.
Hi jtbo,

thx for your advices they are very valueable from a 240 owner
Previously I was given advice that mineral oil is better for it, cause 'old cars are designed for it'. So thanks, I will use full synthetic one in the future.

Unfortunatelly my car don't have belly tray and front spoiler

7l/100km is good on 100+km/h average speed!! My highway consumption (very rare) on speed of 110km/h is 7,2L.
One of my friend is a car mechanic. His aim to make an 5+OD transmission from an M47 5 speed manual unit, which will be matted with an OD from an M46 transmission (4+OD).
This modification would reduce rmp by about 20% at 'high' speed.

Thanks once more

Last edited by Doni_99; 04-06-2012 at 05:07 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-06-2012, 05:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

jtbo!

Another thing that came up in my mind. One of the reason for not using more liquid oil than 10W40 that my D6 likes drinking motor oil instead of diesel:/
When I used 15W40 the oil consumption was about 0,7L/1000km and 1,1L beside the 10W40. My car mechanic said that it's not a surprising thing although it was renewed, because this type of engines tends to consume oil.
What was your experience? Was your Volvo thirsty for oil??

Hmm, Citroen. I had a CX several years ago, I loved it, the shape of it, and and the unique solutions of it.

Best wishes and excellent consumption improvement for All!!!

Last edited by Doni_99; 04-06-2012 at 05:35 AM..
Old 04-06-2012, 05:30 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi Cleanspeed1!

Do you use PCV jar in your truck?
Based on the present 9mpg the gain would be huge...

If not, it would be a good try, on the other hand if yes, what is your experience?
Old 04-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

StolenHoopty - '90 Honda Accord EX

HvyDrnkr - '93 Cadillac Seville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doni_99 View Post
Hi Cleanspeed1!

Do you use PCV jar in your truck?
Based on the present 9mpg the gain would be huge...

If not, it would be a good try, on the other hand if yes, what is your experience?
Never thought about it, since it is a big commercial truck. No PCV, I think it has a draft tube.

Big n' Boxy, Never met a Hill it Didn't Like
Old 04-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ZX - '97 Citroen ZX Monaco
OldContinents
90 day: 61.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
jtbo!

Another thing that came up in my mind. One of the reason for not using more liquid oil than 10W40 that my D6 likes drinking motor oil instead of diesel:/
When I used 15W40 the oil consumption was about 0,7L/1000km and 1,1L beside the 10W40. My car mechanic said that it's not a surprising thing although it was renewed, because this type of engines tends to consume oil.
What was your experience? Was your Volvo thirsty for oil??

Hmm, Citroen. I had a CX several years ago, I loved it, the shape of it, and and the unique solutions of it.

Best wishes and excellent consumption improvement for All!!!
Not very thirsty for oil, did not need to add if I kept oil change around 8000km, but that was the point where it started to use oil as well as more diesel, so I usually did try to change oils after 7500km. With oil changes between 10 000 it would be needed to add oil as that last 2000km took about a litre of it.

Turbo diesel, for example in 740 has bigger oil filter, which might be worth to get if price is close to same, I have heard that size in that actually matters.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

StolenHoopty - '90 Honda Accord EX

HvyDrnkr - '93 Cadillac Seville
^^^^^^^^^^^^Couldn't agree more about filter size. To add to that, what you want is the ability to filter down to 1 micron, which means add a bypass filter to your engine. We have several companies over here, and Filtration Solutions is probably the best. Look them up and see their offerings. Will triple the life of the engine and keep the soot out. Engines that are notoriously dirty burners will be immaculate on the inside.

Big n' Boxy, Never met a Hill it Didn't Like
Old 04-08-2012, 01:00 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanspeed1 View Post
Add a turbo if it is naturally aspirated; get all the pieces from a 740/760 turbodiesel. Diesels run on an excess of air, and the extra air introduced into the system will allow leaner air/fuel ratios during cruise ( improves mpg ), cooler exhaust gas temperatures ( better reliability ), and most importantly, torque ( so you don't have to drive "foot to the floor" all the time, once again lowering fuel consumption ).
I say save your money and don't put a turbo on. A turbo isn't going to make a lick of difference at part throttle on a diesel (you are very light on the throttle), providing your injectors are in good shape and everything is getting burned. Sure it will provide more air and make it "leaner". But it's just more air, not less fuel.

Despite what the masses say, diesel engines do not behave like gasoline engines when you increase boost pressure or raise compression ratios without changing fuelling. And leaner and richer often don't mean anything in a diesel as long as it remains inside a certain window, namely, not too rich. Chances are your AF ratio is well within this window at cruise speeds.

My two cents? Just make sure your injectors are in good shape. Install new nozzles if you haven't already. Sounds like you are getting awesome fuel mileage already!
Old 04-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
My two cents? Just make sure your injectors are in good shape. Install new nozzles if you haven't already. Sounds like you are getting awesome fuel mileage already!

Hi Mechman600!
Thanks for your comment
People around me think I (a bit) foolish trying to decrease the fuel consumption of a 30 year old diesel Volvo. In most cases they think its 5,2L/100km figure is not true In this cases I'm happy because it means that it is a good achievement... So thanks again

Today I talked to my friend who is a car mechanic. He's very skeptic about any modifications on my car for mpg improvement. BUT he said that in race cars there is a swich for swich of the alternator to gain additional power. So next week I will put a swich for this purpose in to my car.

Yes, I know I did not invent the 'Spanish wax', but when I read about hypermillers who improved their mpg by driving without alternator I thought, that thely unset the belt.

Another modifying I want to do to change my original fan for an electric one. I think it will give me additional mpgs, couse the original one works every time from the start of the engine. I don't know exactly the name of the part that is wrong, maybe its name is thermo clutch, but I will change for electric fan.

And of course I would like to instal a belly pan, but its the most difficult task for me.

Lower and lower mpg for everyone!!!

Doni_99
Old 04-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbo View Post

Another mod would be putting e-fan for radiator as it has belt driven one as standard.
Hi Jtbo!

As I read your comments once more I realized that you have mentioned the idea of e-fan...

Another thing. Next week I want to change oil in transmission and differential.
I want to use full syntetic oil but which is the lowest viscosity oil I can use in Volvo 244. I don't want to cut damage for mpg improvement...

Thanks inadvance!
Doni_99
Old 04-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Hi Euromodder,
I forgive you of course
Thanks
I thought I had replied earlier but ... can't find the reply.

Quote:
The main reason is, that I measured the mentioned 5,2L/100km for about 14 times, and after the oil change I measured only once the 4,6L/100km.
The only thing I can say: I do everything in the same way than 14 times before - except the oilchange - and the lower consumption came.
All I can say : I'm stunned
Even the 5.2 L/100km (45mpg US) is still very good.

The convertor sites don't take a European "," but need decimal "."
Maybe that caused a problem ?

Quote:
All what I do:
- keep moderate speed (80-85km/h)
That's likely what explains your excellent mileage.
It's a sweet spot on my car as well, but usually I can't drive it anywhere (sometimes, trailing a truck on the motorway)

Quote:
- I use 'engine brake'
Have you tried coasting - gliding in neutral, maybe even with the engine off ?

Quote:
- turn off the engine when I stop for more than 30sec.
Works only during the day for me - these bloody modern cars turn off the lights when the ignition is killed.

Quote:
Another anomaly: cars what I've driven, don't use much more fuel when I use AC. The difference can't be more then 0,1-0,2L/100km.
It only draws a lot of power when it has to cool the car down from high temperature. Maintaining the temperature draws far less power - I can only see it when I have cruise control engaged.
Without CC, the difference is unnoticeable.

Reply  Post New Thread