Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2008, 11:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvatum View Post
The only way that will happen is if the Greenpeace nuts have their way and stop us building nuclear plants.

Greenpeace nuts ?

I take offence to that statement.

Let's stay on topic here and not trade personal opinions like that shall we ?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-11-2008, 11:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
I'm excited - but doubtful at the same time.

Once I see these cars in large numbers ... then I will be jumping for joy !
Old 05-12-2008, 07:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoFodder

Jetta TDI - '00 VW Jetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Cd View Post
Greenpeace nuts ?

I take offence to that statement.

Let's stay on topic here and not trade personal opinions like that shall we ?
Fair enough.

Most Greenpeace supporters are fine, I didn't mean to say that all of them are nuts, far from it. But the vanguard of extremists in Greenpeace that want people to live on organic farms, ride bicycles and use 100 watts of power are a real problem for the group.

And their stance on nuclear power is downright nutty. A lot of their supporters are simply poorly informed, their knowledge of the subject comes more from Jane Fonda and the China Syndrome. Nothing against them. Being mis-informed isn't a character defect at all, especially given the amount of misinformation out there. But stubbornly refusing to change ones stance when presented with contrary evidence is.

But consistently standing in the way of nuclear power in the name of faux alternatives like solar and wind, which has resulted in 120 coal fired power plants currently being built in the US when you pretend to be an environmental organization, that's nutty!

(The coal industry actually tacitly supports the development of "renewable" sources, because they know they have no potential to put a single coal worker out of the job. Unlike nuclear, ironically, the Australian coal industry has openly admitted this!)

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...1-2702,00.html

Also I was thinking, if we develop super capacitors in the future, then cars like this won't be popular anymore. They really only make sense if your energy source is extremely expensive, otherwise people will want bigger stuff. Hopefully our children (or grand children) will see this and think "What a silly little car!"

Last edited by hvatum; 05-12-2008 at 07:35 AM..
Old 05-12-2008, 11:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
I hope the generations that come after me don't feel that way.

Efficiency is efficiency, whether you are using gasoline, nuclear, or a portable fusion reactor.

If my progeny are blessed with mountains of food, I hope for their sake that they don't become gluttons.

- LostCause
Old 05-13-2008, 05:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoFodder

Jetta TDI - '00 VW Jetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
I hope the generations that come after me don't feel that way.

Efficiency is efficiency, whether you are using gasoline, nuclear, or a portable fusion reactor.

If my progeny are blessed with mountains of food, I hope for their sake that they don't become gluttons.

- LostCause
Efficiency for the sake of efficiency? In my mind efficiency is a means to something, not itself an end.

I would hope that my children, if they have portable fusion reactors, will have flying cars or something else much faster and safer than a small ultra-light car that uses exotic alloys.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:52 AM   #16 (permalink)
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
Small cars are not inherently unsafe...they only become unsafe when you get flying behemoths more concerned about "time = money" then the poor sucker in the clown car.

I think altruism is a more noble end than material wealth. While efficiency may not be the ideal end, I think it is an integral component of an altruistic lifestyle. Dante didn't make gluttony a level of hell arbitrarily, Jesus isn't portrayed as a carpenter's son randomly, and Buddha didn't leave material wealth to follow the "middle way" for the hell of it...

Maybe I'm unique here, but I don't see the swarms of flying cars and the total absence of nature characteristic of Back to the Future, the Jetsons, and Star Wars appealing. George only worked a few hours a week and still complained about work...the "ends" you are chasing is your own tail.

Sorry if I sound rude, but I don't see the need for a 3500lb vehicle to transport a 160lb payload...wastefulness is wastefulness. Maybe my altruism will die with age, but being young and ignorant causes it to burn hot.

- LostCause

Reply  Post New Thread