Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #41 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000neon View Post
the response I have been getting from people locally hasn't been so positive.
Any stories there?

The reactions to my most "out there" aeromods have never been negative - lots of curiosity, definitely. A few strangers surprised me since they knew exactly what I was up to.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-09-2012, 12:27 AM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 47.95 mpg (US)
I've had a lot of people tale some very funny looks at the car, more than usual. So far some people really think the car is stupid, but some people are really generally interested in it and curious to what the mods do. I think I need some stickers that say MPG <3 or something, lol.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #43 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Deceptive - '98 Dodge Neon R/T
90 day: 44.38 mpg (US)
Looks good. I don't worry anymore what people think. I'll explain it to the interested people, and ignore the ones that don't know any better. Mines still rolling duct tape until I can find a new source for fiberglass resin. Living in Cali, I've had my share of funny looks. I actually a few months ago took about 2 hours explaining to people at a sound quality car stereo gtg why I did it, and how it could even help the audio side of things (reduced road noise).
Old 09-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
Thanks a lot. Aeromods do really make a large acoustic difference, I have been in my buddies stock Neon and it seems so loud compared to mine, I never used to notice a difference. Just this afternoon I saw somebody stop to take a picture of it on the side of the road.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:20 PM   #45 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Deceptive - '98 Dodge Neon R/T
90 day: 44.38 mpg (US)
Eventually I plan to use a RTA to get with and without frequency/spl measurements. Maybe I can convince some of the audio guys to start ecomodding, even if it is just for the acoustic gains. Hopefully I can get working on mine soon.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #46 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pantry Boy Supreme (pbs) - '04 Volvo S80 T6 Premier
Think we were onto something here Direct post link, about a hinged Kamm http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post324653

Second pic. Changed it last friday tho

Did you experiment with different lengths for your side skirts? or just jump into the lowest skirts you could get away with? lower the better?
Looking good, MX-3 looking for sure! lol have you thought about making a slight rounded or angle piece at the trailing edge of the kamm. i got the same washback effect with the original Kamm i started out with, then angled the 1"in trailing edge down about 10-20degrees, and it got rid of some of it, but not all.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:09 AM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
Hey I have been watching you thread, I love your focus. As for the side skirts, I just went for it to where I didn't think that I would scrape them too bad, and surprisingly they have only hit on one awkward and steep speed bump.

So you are saying if I put a more angled lip at the rear trailing edge of the kamm, the backflow might not be so bad? Thats worth a try.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #48 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pantry Boy Supreme (pbs) - '04 Volvo S80 T6 Premier
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000neon View Post
Hey I have been watching you thread, I love your focus.
So you are saying if I put a more angled lip at the rear trailing edge of the kamm, the backflow might not be so bad? Thats worth a try.
Yes, just take a strip of Coro, or anything scrap and tape it into place about 1-2" longer than the kamm edge and taper it inward a notch, play around with it for what might work best for you.

I'd think that vortex generators might help for cleaner seperation with as much blow back your getting, but the effect they might have may negate potential gains, as most threads/topics lead too.

Lol, P.S, its a Fiesta watching your future progress! keep it up.
At the current stages of our vehicles we might even be working on boat tails at the same time too lol(if you have plans)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
The worst part is, as I was typing focus I remember thinking "no wait it's a fiesta"... Apparantly my fingers work faster than my mind! Sorry about that!

I have a bit of time right now, Im going to see what I can make up for the edge of my kammback.

As much as I want to build a boattail, I need to parallel park this car at school, so extra length is a problem. It is also quite rusted out, so I don't see myself putting that money into the car. I want to see yours though when you do it.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda

Can somebody apply the template for me please? I think that I may be a little bit high at the back. Of anyone can do it,thank you

Also, I revised my rear wheel skirts and brought them down almost to where the top of the lug nuts. Been meaning to do that for a while. I think I will try some rear wheel boat tails as well.

Reply  Post New Thread