Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2022, 08:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

2004 E450 Bus Build

Hi all,

thought it made sense to start a new thread for the project I've been rolling around in my head because I actually have a specific vehicle now.

I picked up a 2004 Eldorado Aerotech shuttle bus - this is based on the E450 superduty chassis. I think it has a lot of potential - it has a 6.0L diesel (while it is the powerstroke that many have had issues with, this bus was fleet maintained and the E series 6.0L was detuned compared to the F series and so lower boost, lower fuel cutoff, etc.

Eldorado also used a composite fiberglass shell for the entire bus section - it is 1 piece from the cab back - and it is a honeycomb construction - so light, tough and pretty good insulation.

Stock, it appears i have a 4.10 rear, and the "happy spot" for RPM/Fuel is ~1900 RPM which currently is ~58 mph. highway mileage is reported on fuelly as between 10 and 20 mpg, but, when i visited some of the various forums they tend to report around 12 city, and 16-18 highway as configured from factory.

it.. kinda looks like this transmission has 2 ranges for each gear? i'm not sure

my ratios are listed as follows:
Max Min
1st: 3.09, 2.71
2nd:2.20, 1.54
3rd: 1.54,1.00
4th: 1.00, 0.71
5th: 0.71, 0.71

i may be able to get different rear gears as low as potentially 3.08 (probably a bit to high for usability - but maybe not since i do not plan on any towing?)

i'm not sure if this is something that the controllers will decide on, or if there is a low/high range selection or if i'm just reading too much into this? - i haven't seen ratios listed like that before (but I've also not looked at vehicles of this size before)

Eldorado seems like they made some effort at aero, and, being a single piece composite monocoque shell it is significantly lighter than it's metal contemporaries (plus, subjectively, it looks better ) I'm thinking I've got some real opportunity to enhance the aerodynamics and mechanicals to be a relatively efficient package.

i'm planning on adding a boat tail with a platform bed in the rear, serves dual function of giving me a "master suite" and some presumably better aerodynamics - i'm alsp planning on stripping the big mirrors in favor of cameras with the mounts intact and mirrors stowed for emergencies - they attach with a couple of screws so i think i can have a block off plate using the same screws to quickly revert them if needed.

i suspect that the bulkhead where the destination sign would normally go might need to be trimmed/eliminated. I kinda already have skirting on the bottom sides, so i'm not sure in the front if i should look into an air dam or diffuser or maybe a pan on the bottom?

a pan would serve double duty to protect tanks and wiring, etc. that likely will be stored under the frame rails.

since the interior shell is already finished and a honeycomb composite - I'm not sure if i'll need to add any insulation before furring strips for framing, the thermal performance might already be pretty good - that'll save money and weight.

it has rear AC but the condenser is located under the bus instead of on the roof, so no custom blisters need to be added for me!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bus 1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	32793   Click image for larger version

Name:	bus 2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	32794   Click image for larger version

Name:	bus 3.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	32795   Click image for larger version

Name:	bus 4.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	32796  
The Following User Says Thank You to seuadr For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-25-2022)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-24-2022, 09:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Consensus is: keep rpm under 2000 for max economy. Other than that those are sweet busses, but the rear AC kinda sucks. Perhaps not enough cool air flow. Needs tufting.
seuadr (09-02-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Focused on MPG

Marinator - '06 Mercury Mariner Premier
90 day: 15.45 mpg (US)

SILVER BULLET - '19 DODGE GRAND CARAVAN GT
90 day: 19.6 mpg (US)

Myrtle - Wife's JKU - '12 Jeep JK Unlimited Sport
90 day: 15.7 mpg (US)
The transmission will be a 5-speed, single shifting between gears, the torque converter will lock up in every gear except 1st.

I wouldn't go to 3.08 gearing, 3.55 would be better, you could change the rear wheels to srw, then put wheel arch covers.

You do what you want, just my thoughts after working at a Ford dealer in parts and service for 26 years and counting...just my two cents, adjust for inflation, just my 1/2 cent

Staying Focus'd on MPG
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECO-AKJ For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-25-2022), seuadr (09-02-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 10:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Consensus is: keep rpm under 2000
yeah, that is what i'd read as well. I was initially worried about the 6.0 because it has 175K miles, but based on what i've read so far they are generally considered to be a really solid motor in the E series because they aren't pushing performance out of it the way they were with the F series so that makes me happy, because that thing is shoe horned in there

i'll be driving it 2 hours home either friday or saturday so i'll be able to get at least a little bit of a feel for the economy (at least as much as the lie-o-meter can say) but ultimately, i intend to get something like a scan gauge or ultra gauge - it seems that i'll want to keep an eye on some temperatures that aren't OEM gauges so i'll need something to do that, what i haven't decided is do i want to have individual gauges, a screen like the xgauge/ultra gauge or some kind of combo?
Old 08-24-2022, 11:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Other ratios listed are for the 4 speed. That's what E450s got in 2004 when they had a gas engine.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ennored For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-25-2022), Caddylackn (08-24-2022), seuadr (09-02-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 12:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennored View Post
Other ratios listed are for the 4 speed. That's what E450s got in 2004 when they had a gas engine.
so, which is the ones i should expect, min or max?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECO-AKJ View Post
The transmission will be a 5-speed, single shifting between gears, the torque converter will lock up in every gear except 1st.

I wouldn't go to 3.08 gearing, 3.55 would be better, you could change the rear wheels to srw, then put wheel arch covers.
So - i doubt i need duals for my payload (but i can weigh it and verify) but 2 less wheels and tires to deal with would be just fine by me
aerohead (08-25-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 05:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Passat TDI Wagon - '97 VW Passat Wagon TDI
90 day: 55.81 mpg (US)

Blue - '21 Hyundai Sonata Blue
90 day: 53.79 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seuadr View Post

So - i doubt i need duals for my payload (but i can weigh it and verify) but 2 less wheels and tires to deal with would be just fine by me
The double wheel rear axle is a wider axle than a single wheel rear axle set up. So no, you can't safely take a wheel off each side as you have a huge offset on those dually wheels. With just one wheel (with a huge offset) hanging off the centerline of the bearing you create a lot of stress on the bearings and hub. You might be able to get a single rear axle wheel on it from a different vehicle. Those have about a 0 - 1" offset. You would have to run a load E range tire for the weight.

The ride will get squirrely at speed since the total width of the body will now be much wider than the tire path width. The extra track width of duals creates a lot of stability in wide heavy vehicles, it is not just about carrying the weight.

I like how you think: shed off that excess weight. You could do a single tire one ton rear axle swap, like from a Dana 70 or Chev 14 bolt or Ford 10.25". You can find those in 3.54 or 3.73 ratios pretty easy. It is harder to find the one ton rear ends in the higher 3.08 gears since the pinion offset has to be different to fit these "smaller" ring gears, and then you can't put in gears lower than a 3.54 in them.

You will probably only find a one ton rear end with 3.54 or 3.08 in a diesel. Another problem is the driveshaft and the yoke. You need to find a rear end that will take your yoke from your ex. rear end or has one the same size, or you have to modify the driveshaft.

A 3/4 ton rear end may work, but I think you will be too heavy for them.
306k miles
Scan Gauge II
full belly pan
26 gallon tank
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caddylackn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2022, 08:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddylackn View Post
The double wheel rear axle is a wider axle than a single wheel rear axle set up. So no, you can't safely take a wheel off each side
good to know.

Quote:
You would have to run a load E range tire for the weight.
yeah, i have E range now.

Quote:

You will probably only find a one ton rear end with 3.54 or 3.08 in a diesel. Another problem is the driveshaft and the yoke. You need to find a rear end that will take your yoke from your ex. rear end or has one the same size, or you have to modify the driveshaft.

A 3/4 ton rear end may work, but I think you will be too heavy for them.
hmm. sounds like probably more work than it is worth considering this is a recreational vehicle. probably i'll see if i can find a 3.54 or 3.73 since those are available as a factory option for the F series and i would expect the carrier to be the same even if the axle length is different.

i'll ask around on the ford enthusiasts forum, they seem to have a lot of knowledge when it comes to these sorts of things.
aerohead (08-25-2022)
Old 08-25-2022, 09:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
My '00 F250 has a 3:73 and a zf6 and single wheel, sterling 10.5 diff. The only difference between the 250 & the 350 SRW axle is a 3/4" axle spacer versius a 1/2" on the springs and a different rubber snubber per the parts list in my factory shop manuals as both models list the same axle part number. Excursions have a 4.10 and a 4.3 ditto for the 137" wheelbase pre'00 bump hood pickups

Local brick yard says they seem to work the same with a pallet of block in the back, the 250 sags a wee bit more at 1 ton probably why the spacer is different.

Drw rears are: full floating Dana 80 or 135 hints at 4.10 ratios, but aftermarket gear sets are common.

Could work but might be scary on I5, Ca 14 or US 395 most windy days but you could widen the trac by putting on the rims backwards with the offset facing outwards

I don't do the forums anymore since all the posts seem oriented towards smoke and hotrodding your 4wd mudder

Last edited by Piotrsko; 08-25-2022 at 11:05 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Piotrsko For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2022, 12:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuadr View Post
so, which is the ones i should expect, min or max?

The set with 5 ratios listed. The 4 speed obviously only has four (shows .71 twice, clearly it doesn't have two gears with identical ratios).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ennored For This Useful Post:
Reply  Post New Thread