Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Events & Meet-ups
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #81 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

l&s' Jag - '00 Jaguar S-Type SE
90 day: 25.86 mpg (US)

l&s' Vision - '82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
90 day: 59.92 mpg (US)

L&S' Greenaero Ninja 250 - '99 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F Ninja 250R
90 day: 97.24 mpg (US)

SilverAero Ninja 250 - '04 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja
90 day: 88.24 mpg (US)
I got back from the long ride back home( ~ 5200 miles total) from the competition in Ohio and some work in Kentucky on Monday 7/30. I'm sorry I wasn't able to post the results sooner but I didn't get the official results right away and then I wasn't in position to post them.

1. Fred Hayes, 143.6 mpg ( Hayes Diesel streamliner , overall winner)
2. Vic Valdes, 119 mpg ( Kawasaki 250EX streamliner )
3. Dale Van de Ven, 106.4 mpg ( Hayes Diesel MD670A , used B30 diesel , alternate fuel winner )
4. Ben Scloop 108.5 mpg ( Yamaha 185 streamliner )
5. Alan Smith 101.9 mpg ( Kawasaki 250EX Vetter/Smith streamliner )
6. Craig Vetter 84.8 mpg ( Honda Helix Vetter streamliner)
7. ? Boyd 57.6 mpg ( B50 diesel powered car)

Other notables who did not meet the Vetter Challenge 4 grocery bag carrying rule :
Scott Endler 105.6 mpg, Honda CBR250
Keith Gerlach 85.6 mpg, Kawasaki 2012(?)Ninja 250
? Dennnis 52.3 mpg, 1973 Honda CB350F
Tim Weaver 51.8 mpg, Honda 650
? Goff 48.1 mpg , HD Sportster

Electric Bikes
? Gelbien, 1.82 cents/ mile
? Podolefsky , 2.07 cents/mile

The Ohio Vetter Challenge was awesome!! Lots of very cool machines and so were the people. It was great to meet forum friends Scott and Ben in person as well make other new friends. We got to display our bikes and got lots of attention. Craig was the AMA Vintage Days Grand Marshall and he and Fred Hayes gave some great presentations. I had to go to a job in Kentucky and missed Sunday's events but the AMA Vintage Days was a great event to host the second Mid Ohio Vetter Challenge.

The Following User Says Thank You to low&slow For This Useful Post:
HHOTDI (08-02-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #82 (permalink)
Rapturee

Sippy2 - '15 Honda NC700XD DCT
90 day: 59.51 mpg (US)

Shorty - '02 Ford F150 XL
Awesome Job Vic, YOU SIR, ARE THE REAL WINNER THIS TIME! Way to go Sendler, man you could have strapped on a rubbermaid tub and placed with Ben! Way cool men, so excited and happy for you guys that made it. Hope to see everyone's pics very soon...pics please! :{)

Last edited by HHOTDI; 08-02-2012 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: another thought :{)
Old 08-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #83 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Craig's Freedom Machine didn't take long to materialise after all.

Though I do wonder how much longer it'll be kept from the grasp of the general public - if it ever becomes available at all.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #84 (permalink)
Stick your neck out...

Some opinion from a fan

I’ve been following the Vetter Challenges closely, and the recent Mid-Ohio event in particular. I’m a big fan of the work that Craig is doing, but the results of this event have thrown up a few surprises, which threaten to undermine the value of this work.

Posted on his website among the results, is an examination of the unexpected outcomes. But I believe the results are entirely consistent with the nature of the challenge of the event. All the descriptions that I have read mention that the route was ridden at a “relaxed” pace (50mph average), on twisty roads in damp conditions. It would be nice if Scott, Vic or Ben could confirm this.

Under these conditions the benefits of streamlining will be minimal, since the low average speed imparts no great drag reduction and the increased weight penalty is magnified by constant acceleration. I believe this explains the fact that Vic beat Alan Smith on similar bikes, that Ben did so well and that Sendler did extremely well despite being excluded from results due to grocery rules.

In my opinion, Craig should plan his route with more care next year, incorporating a mainly constant velocity section with a 60mph average. The aim of this competition is to extol the virtues of streamlining and Craig should tilt the field in favour of those competitors who follow his mantra, just as he does with the groceries. And while he is at it, why not try and formulate some rule that places Fred Hayes at a disadvantage, for that riding position!

I also think Craig should reconsider the helix, which is ironic since it now looks great after years of being a bit “iffy”. The original donor vehicle lacks the sophistication necessary to beat the competition and will be forever hampered by the CVT. It sounds as though its in need of some major repair work at the very least.

On my wish list for future events are the following items –
Faster results posting – seems a bit trivial now, but I was genuinely frustrated by the lack of news following the event.
Better competitor specs – more detailed info with individual photographs of each vehicle as it competed
Some video of the event – a quick youtube posting from a phone, of the group starting off, passing a milestone, at the refilling stage and an awards ceremony, would be great.
A bigger field – more competitors as a measure of the success of the events and a vote of confidence in Craig’s vision.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #85 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
There was a significant portion of super highway, maybe 1/4 of the total mileage, which was run at a mild for Vetter conditions 70 mph. I was carrying 60 pounds of camping gear in 100 liters so had more extra weight added to the bike than the empty streamliners. I also believe 100 liters will come close to carrying all the groceries if they were repacked into a greater number of "normal", smaller bags. I have found that adding mass to my bike serves to increase the effectiveness of Pulse and Glide and only becomes a detriment when you touch the brakes. There were a lot of stop signs but on an 80 mile ride they still represent a small portion of the energy that is needed and wasted by the extra weight. The reason the stock bodywork Honda CBR250R was able to nearly match the FE of a streamlined Ninja is due to the fact that it has a single cylinder engine ( smallest combustion chamber surface area vs displacement for less waste heat absorption) with cams (less overlap and duration) and intake runner (long, the Ninja has only a short vel stack?) that are tuned for much lower rpm. Keep in mind also that the CBR has a huge (by motorcycle standards) cat and a closed loop O2 sensor so it has no doubt the cleanest exhaust in the group and a very quiet muffler. It does have a less than ideal, standard bike seat height and pegs though so the door is open for some other bike to be a better starting point for a feet forward streamliner.
I am very comfortable cross country touring in my "touring tuck" which is done by laying my solar plex on a stuffed tank bag to get my shoulders under the windscreen and allowing the remaining wind blast to balance the weight of the helmet. I get great numbers (95 mpgUS on the 440 mile way down from Syracuse to Ohio) this way but most people can't/ won't try it and it goes against the theme of the event where Craig wants to promote a vehicle that everyone will feel comfortable to chose as "first choice in the garage". Another exception being Keith who turned a really great 85mpg on his stock bodied/ long geared Ninja by using a tight tuck. There was a tucked rider on a 600 super sport also but I don't know if he filled up with a slip to turn in as many of the competitors that started, lost their resolve for the tight grouping and fast pace on wet roads after the electric bike wrecked.
The Following User Says Thank You to sendler For This Useful Post:
visionary (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 03:28 AM   #86 (permalink)
Stick your neck out...

Thanks for the extra perspective Scott, its always good to get more insight into the competition.

My main point was that the higher the percentage of “super highway” running, then the aero performance would be at a premium, which is after all what this contest is about. I’m sure that even Vic would acknowledge that his fairing design is far from optimal, so his win over Alan Smith (same model bike) must be partly due to his lighter weight.

I think that your excellent result is due to two main factors –
Firstly, the pedigree of the 250 Honda, which as you say is highly fuel efficient
Secondly, your own recognition of how to minimize aero drag on a fairly stock vehicle.

Imagine if you (or Craig) had taken part with the Honda CBR250R wrapped in a fully streamlined body, then you could have given Fred a run for his money.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:17 AM   #87 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
I think the main reason that Alan's number isn't higher is that again, in keeping with the spirit of the Vetter guidelines, "The way we really ride", he uses very little hypermiling technique. I noticed several times that he had his left hand in the air to signal an upcoming turn, which is very effective in a large group, when I had already had my clutch in for 100's of feet. He did fill his tires to 50 psi though. I ran mine at 36. The effect of adding 20 pounds to either Ninja would be completely immeasurable unless you ran a taxi cycle for the test. 80 miles is way too short to eliminate fill errors and competitors did their own "after fill ups, unobserved.
The most interesting thing I noticed on the road was how calm Alan's bike was in rough truck air. Eerie. And the worst by far was the silver Hayes bike with the land speed body work. Scary. I can't figure out why to look at it. Maybe they butchered the front end geometry when they lowered the KLR frame.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #88 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Vetter on the Mid Ohio Challenge

Hi all: Thanks for attending the Vetter Challenge at Mid Ohio. I posted much on my web page. The ride was short because I was the Grand Marshal at Mid Ohio had other duties on my schedule. Sorry. Can't do it all. The Helix indeed has run out of its usefulness at the Challenge as I have worn out two engines now, going fast into head winds. I rode behind the CBR250 and it is indeed a wonderful bike. I sat on the one there and bounced up and down on the suspension... very cushy indeed.

I will focus on finishing my streamlining kit so the rest of you can do what you do best.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:35 PM   #89 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetter View Post
The Helix indeed has run out of its usefulness at the Challenge as I have worn out two engines now, going fast into head winds.
So 16 HP is not enough, or does your streamlining not allow for adequate cooling, or ????
Old 08-09-2012, 12:25 AM   #90 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Helix shortcomings and what we need

Streamlining has allowed me to ride my Helix into a 30 mph headwind at 80 mph!

I do that sometime to show off. More likely, I ride it at 70-75.

It wears the rear tire out quickly. It blew the head gasket on my second engine. Because of that, I have been running below tolerance compression since before the Quail.

Heat is not the problem. It never get above 2 bars... until it started consuming water because of the head gasket blowing. It ran out of water! It took me a while to figure out what was going on.

I love the Helix platform. But the Ninja 250 has proven to be more durable. Alan Smith has ridden his Ninja across the US twice with none of the problems I have had with my Helix. His Ninja is less affected in powerful sidewinds. But the Ninja seat is high. Too high. What we need is a low seat - Helix style frame with 16" wheels like the Ninja. But the Ninja engine is too high to sit on Helix style. So is the new CBR 250.

We need a modern, 6 speed, horizontal cylinder 250 twin... or horizontal single gas or Diesel with motorcycle wheels and suspension and a low seat, step thru frame.

This combination simply does not exist. I will continue to develop the streamlining and hope that one of you deals with the vehicle.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cvetter For This Useful Post:
Bruce (08-09-2012), Frank Lee (08-09-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread