Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2016, 04:02 PM   #191 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I may well be driving one of these next week for a couple of weeks, not sure I am allowed to show you just yet due to an embargo on images but I'll save some pics for later when its officially released

Quite keen to see how it goes, it does look quite cool for a change & it coasts

Kermit the Lupo 3L 1.2 Tdi with a current mpg record of 114mpg (imperial) Now sold

G1 JDM Insight I hate the ride but love the quirkiness
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-26-2016, 04:25 PM   #192 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Neat. Looking forward to it.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 04-09-2016, 07:25 PM   #193 (permalink)
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
2016 Prius Gen-4

Hi folks,

Sorry to be away for a while . . . been busy. But I wanted to share a validated, mph vs MPG chart for the 2016 Prius:
  • Started with the EPA roll-down coefficients from the "Test Car Database."
  • Got a clarification e-mail from EPA on which coefficients corresponded to different models
  • Used 'mph * (C + (B *mph) + (A * (mph ** 2) ) ) / 375' for drag power.
  • Used 600 W for vehicle built-in overhead based upon previous metrics from Gen-1 and Gen-3
  • Adjusted the curves to reflect 'mph vs MPG' metrics
So this is what the per-model curves look like:

And here is the metric version:

I've also picked up four SAE papers by Toyota that reveal details about 'how they did it.' These became available April 5th so the data is pretty new. Basically, Toyota tweaked everything and the results show.

In our case, we have a 2003 (170k) and 2010 (70k) Prius but the automatic braking won't be available on a Level 2 ECO until 2017. So I'll reduce our inventory to just the 2010 Prius and get the 2017 Level 2 ECO next year. Since I'm patient, I'll use buyer tricks to get exactly what I want for a good price (assuming gas remains cheap!)

Bob Wilson
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bwilson4web For This Useful Post:
Daox (04-11-2016), redpoint5 (04-10-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 07:45 PM   #194 (permalink)
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grus, post: 2322130, member: 139296
Here are some papers from Toyota & Aisin realated to the Prius Gen IV (the list may be incomplete):
The New Toyota Inline 4 Cylinder 1.8L ESTEC 2ZR-FXE Gasoline Engine for Hybrid Car
Development of the Li-ion Battery Cell for Hybrid Vehicle
The New Generation Front Wheel Drive Hybrid System
Development of New Hybrid Transaxle for Compact-Class Vehicles
Development of Power Control Unit for Compact-Class Vehicle
Efficiency Improvement in Exhaust Heat Recirculation System
Development of Compact Electric Rear-Drive Unit
The full texts are not online yet, but most of them have 5-pages free preview already.
The new MG2 is 53kW/163Nm/17000rpm MAX (Gen III: 60kW/207Nm/13500rpm MAX).
But I haven't seen the numbers for MG1.
The $25, papers are available as of April 5 and I've bought:

The New Generation Front Wheel Drive Hybrid System (SAE 2016-01-1167)

As a summary, this is a good introduction and overview of the changes. It touches on the technical changes without going down the rabbit hole:
  • Transaxle - higher MG2 speed, 13500 rpm to 17000 rpm, reduces weight and improves efficiency. New stator winding technique and rotor reduced mass and improved power.
  • Power Control Unit - improved cooling and a "Super Body Layer" IGBT reduces size and improves efficiency. The DC/DC converter for the 12V power supply is smaller with increased output voltage range.
  • Battery - better packaging but not a lot of technical details.
  • Fuel Economy improvements sources:
    • 4% - battery
    • 28% - engine
    • 13% - transaxle
    • 16% - motor
    • 13% - power control unit (power electronics)
    • 26% - HV control laws
  • Maximum vehicle speed for engine stop, 110 km/h (68 mph)
  • Hybrid driving perception - the "rubber band" feel, the high engine rpm for maximum acceleration is reduced by using more battery power. In effect, 'sounding more normal' to reviewers who castigate the CVT.

The New Toyota InLIne 4 Cylinder 1.8L ESTEC 2ZR-FXE Gasoline Engine for Hybrid Car (SAE 2016-01-0684)

This provides the details hinted at in the earlier Combustion Development to Achieve Engine Thermal Efficiency of 40% for Hybrid Vehicles (SAE 2015-01-1254). The take-aways:
  • Tumble flow - improves use of higher, cooled EGR mixture and rapid combustion.
  • Intake valve timing - larger opening and slight tweaks in timing.
  • Exhaust manifold - YEA!!! They are pulling the exhaust after the catalytic converter. This significantly reduces the risk of carbon/oil blocking of the EGR valve and tube. This will improve the life of these important parts!
  • Intake manifold - better paths to even the cooled EGR ratios to the cylinders.
  • Spark plugs - adjusted to optimize ground wire and tumble fuel-air mixture and ignition.
  • Dual passage cooling - shortens warm-up yet improves cooling. Includes some baffles around cylinders and exhaust port cooling to minimize knock risk.
  • Friction reduction - bearings, new oil pump rotors, lower mass valve roller arms and spring, lower friction piston skirt coating, and lower friction cam chain.

Efficiency Improvement in Exhaust Heat Recirculation System (SAE 2016-01-0184)

Oh boy! Mechanical engineering talk! I loved it. I have to quote this:

"As vehicle fuel economy has improved, waste heat represented as cooling heat loss Qw has declined. As a result, engine warm-up delays and insufficient heat stupply for cabin heaters have become an issue. TOYOTA and SANGO believe that utilizing the exhaust heat loss Qex, which is also waste heat, would be effective in improving fuel economy further."
At last, discussing a 'topping cycle' as the future direction. In effect, the efficiency of hybrids is reaching a point where future improvements are going to address getting useful work from the exhaust heat:
  • Conventional exhaust heat recirculation
  • High-efficiency exhaust heat recirculation
  • Latent heat storage (aka., the Gen-2 thermos?)
  • Chemical heat storage
  • Thermoelectric power generation
  • Rankine cycle
  • Air-conditioner using waste heat (YEA!!!!!)
  • Stirling engine

The rest of the paper goes into an excellent thermodynamic review of heat flows and how the new heat recovery system was developed. For example, knowing the boiling point and worst case heat flow with the valve closed, they balanced the tubes (i.e., no spot boiling); thinned the tubes for better transfer; added fins to improve heat transfer, and; reduced the amount of coolant in the tubes for faster transfers. Fully meets my mechanical engineering interest that concludes with:
" . . . exhaust heat recirculation system are expected to become even more important technologically in order to improve fuel economy and maintain heating performance."
Development of New Hybrid Transaxle for Compact-Class Vehicles (SAE 2016-01-1163)

Things not discussed already:
  • stator - rectangular wires; segmentation winding; new coating to handle high voltages; welding wire segments.
  • rotor - high-speed, low-loss rotor reduced 15% saving materials yet improving performance.
  • power cables - gone! It plugs in directly.
  • cooling - ATF fluid handles cooling and goes to radiator so surface cooling is not as important.
  • differential - press-fitting
  • mechanical losses - reduced by better gears and bearings
  • dynamic ATF cooling flow - two fluid catch tanks and a fluid dam so only as much fluid is in the gears when needed to reduce stirring losses.

There are some other papers I may buy for future reading and reporting in this thread. But for $100, these four were well worth it.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 04-10-2016 at 08:35 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bwilson4web For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (04-09-2016), Daox (04-11-2016), MetroMPG (04-11-2016), oldtamiyaphile (04-09-2016), redpoint5 (04-10-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 09:09 PM   #195 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Lots of fun stuff in those articles. Exciting developments. Thanks for sharing.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:17 PM   #196 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilson4web View Post
Thank you!
Here are some papers from Toyota & Aisin realated to the Prius Gen IV (the list may be incomplete):
The New Toyota Inline 4 Cylinder 1.8L ESTEC 2ZR-FXE Gasoline Engine for Hybrid Car
Development of the Li-ion Battery Cell for Hybrid Vehicle
The New Generation Front Wheel Drive Hybrid System
Development of New Hybrid Transaxle for Compact-Class Vehicles
Development of Power Control Unit for Compact-Class Vehicle
Efficiency Improvement in Exhaust Heat Recirculation System
Development of Compact Electric Rear-Drive Unit
The full texts are not online yet, but most of them have 5-pages free preview already.
The new MG2 is 53kW/163Nm/17000rpm MAX (Gen III: 60kW/207Nm/13500rpm MAX).
But I haven't seen the numbers for MG1.
The $25, papers are available as of April 5 and I've bought:

The New Generation Front Wheel Drive Hybrid System (SAE 2016-01-1167)

As a summary, this is a good introduction and overview of the changes. It touches on the technical changes without going down the rabbit hole:
  • Transaxle - higher MG2 speed, 13500 rpm to 170000 rpm, reduces weight and improves efficiency. New stator winding technique and rotor reduced mass and improved power.
  • Power Control Unit - improved cooling and a "Super Body Layer" IGBT reduces size and improves efficiency. The DC/DC converter for the 12V power supply is smaller with increased output voltage range.
  • Battery - better packaging but not a lot of technical details.
  • Fuel Economy improvements sources:
    • 4% - battery
    • 28% - engine
    • 13% - transaxle
    • 16% - motor
    • 13% - power control unit (power electronics)
    • 26% - HV control laws
  • Maximum vehicle speed for engine stop, 110 km/h (68 mph)
  • Hybrid driving perception - the "rubber band" feel, the high engine rpm for maximum acceleration is reduced by using more battery power. In effect, 'sounding more normal' to reviewers who castigate the CVT.

The New Toyota InLIne 4 Cylinder 1.8L ESTEC 2ZR-FXE Gasoline Engine for Hybrid Car (SAE 2016-01-0684)

This provides the details hinted at in the earlier Combustion Development to Achieve Engine Thermal Efficiency of 40% for Hybrid Vehicles (SAE 2015-01-1254). The take-aways:
  • Tumble flow - improves use of higher, cooled EGR mixture and rapid combustion.
  • Intake valve timing - larger opening and slight tweaks in timing.
  • Exhaust manifold - YEA!!! They are pulling the exhaust after the catalytic converter. This significantly reduces the risk of carbon/oil blocking of the EGR valve and tube. This will improve the life of these important parts!
  • Intake manifold - better paths to even the cooled EGR ratios to the cylinders.
  • Spark plugs - adjusted to optimize ground wire and tumble fuel-air mixture and ignition.
  • Dual passage cooling - shortens warm-up yet improves cooling. Includes some baffles around cylinders and exhaust port cooling to minimize knock risk.
  • Friction reduction - bearings, new oil pump rotors, lower mass valve roller arms and spring, lower friction piston skirt coating, and lower friction cam chain.

Efficiency Improvement in Exhaust Heat Recirculation System (SAE 2016-01-0184)

Oh boy! Mechanical engineering talk! I loved it. I have to quote this:

"As vehicle fuel economy has improved, waste heat represented as cooling heat loss Qw has declined. As a result, engine warm-up delays and insufficient heat stupply for cabin heaters have become an issue. TOYOTA and SANGO believe that utilizing the exhaust heat loss Qex, which is also waste heat, would be effective in improving fuel economy further."
At last, discussing a 'topping cycle' as the future direction. In effect, the efficiency of hybrids is reaching a point where future improvements are going to address getting useful work from the exhaust heat:
  • Conventional exhaust heat recirculation
  • High-efficiency exhaust heat recirculation
  • Latent heat storage (aka., the Gen-2 thermos?)
  • Chemical heat storage
  • Thermoelectric power generation
  • Rankine cycle
  • Air-conditioner using waste heat (YEA!!!!!)
  • Stirling engine

The rest of the paper goes into an excellent thermodynamic review of heat flows and how the new heat recovery system was developed. For example, knowing the boiling point and worst case heat flow with the valve closed, they balanced the tubes (i.e., no spot boiling); thinned the tubes for better transfer; added fins to improve heat transfer, and; reduced the amount of coolant in the tubes for faster transfers. Fully meets my mechanical engineering interest that concludes with:
" . . . exhaust heat recirculation system are expected to become even more important technologically in order to improve fuel economy and maintain heating performance."
Development of New Hybrid Transaxle for Compact-Class Vehicles (SAE 2016-01-1163)

Things not discussed already:
  • stator - rectangular wires; segmentation winding; new coating to handle high voltages; welding wire segments.
  • rotor - high-speed, low-loss rotor reduced 15% saving materials yet improving performance.
  • power cables - gone! It plugs in directly.
  • cooling - ATF fluid handles cooling and goes to radiator so surface cooling is not as important.
  • differential - press-fitting
  • mechanical losses - reduced by better gears and bearings
  • dynamic ATF cooling flow - two fluid catch tanks and a fluid dam so only as much fluid is in the gears when needed to reduce stirring losses.

There are some other papers I may buy for future reading and reporting in this thread. But for $100, these four were well worth it.

Bob Wilson
Is that correct or is it a "typo"? From 13.5K to 170K? Possibly 17.0K?
The Following User Says Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
bwilson4web (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 02:52 PM   #197 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilson4web View Post
Air-conditioner using waste heat
That's not any hard to implement. Remember those old kerosene-powered fridges that were widely used in rural areas?
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
bwilson4web (04-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 01:46 PM   #198 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Review: 59 mpg US - "normal" driving around San Francisco

Quote:
Driver's log: One week and 59 mpg with the new 2016 Toyota Prius

After it exceeded our fuel economy estimates, we look back at our week with the new Prius to shed light on our testing conditions and what we learned along the way.

Driver's log: One week and 59 mpg with the new 2016 Toyota Prius - Roadshow
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 05-10-2016, 05:04 PM   #199 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Captain's Log : Stardate 2016 ....uh ....nevermind.

I saw the new Prius up close yesterday. It's going to take a while before I like the look.
It resembles an enlarged Geo Storm with a bad kit car body kit.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:43 PM   #200 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
Minus the mutation-looking headlights, it's not a bad looking piece of kit. Prius is finally losing its blobby b-movie spaceship look. And the ricey Altezzas! Nice to see it is starting to gain some sleek lines to go with its aerodynamic prowess. I might even get used to having a giant iPad glued to where your HVAC and radio controls should be. Now get the gauges in front of the driver and figure out a stick shift and we'd be on the right path!

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17
Reply  Post New Thread