Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2019, 11:54 AM   #31 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
As long as you get a contact south of the border, or in Europe, you'll be able to get a manual transmission at your doorsteps to adapt into roughly any US-spec car for a while
You will need at least: transmission, clutch assembly, shifter, and ECU. You will also likely need the engine harness or someone that can take your harness apart and splice in the required wires / connectors. Then you will need to cut a hole in the front wall and maybe relocate some components.

Oh, and that ECU likely won't work with the rest of your car's electronics so you need someone that can program it. If a manual was never offered in the USA you will need someone that code and write the parameters for your unique engine / transmission / emissions combination.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-02-2019, 12:04 PM   #32 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by litesong View Post
The Eco-Cruze was never advertised as & the dealer never said it was special order.
Any car not on the lot is a special order.

You are asking the dealer to order a car at your request, wait for it to arrive, and hope that you don't change your mind between the time the dealer orders the car and when it arrives. To take this risk dealers charge full MSRP or close to it if you want them to order a car for you. The reward has to be worth the risk.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:12 PM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Any car not on the lot is a special order.
You are asking the dealer to order a car at your request.....
No, I never have ordered a car. If it wasn't on the lot, I went to other lots. You can't shoehorn me, into rich people's shoes.
Repeating as you repeat:
The Eco-Cruze was never advertised as & the dealer never said it was special order.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:45 PM   #34 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
You will need at least: transmission, clutch assembly, shifter, and ECU. You will also likely need the engine harness or someone that can take your harness apart and splice in the required wires / connectors. Then you will need to cut a hole in the front wall and maybe relocate some components.
Have you never seen those JDM cars which are converted to LHD when they're exported? Cutting some holes in the firewall, sealing the stock ones and relocating some components is far from being rocket science. Splicing a harness might be a PITA, but it's also doable.

Quote:
Oh, and that ECU likely won't work with the rest of your car's electronics so you need someone that can program it. If a manual was never offered in the USA you will need someone that code and write the parameters for your unique engine / transmission / emissions combination.
Most of the coding/programming can be distributed through the internet, as it's already quite common for purposes other than a transmission swap.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:33 PM   #35 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
No, I never have ordered a car. If it wasn't on the lot, I went to other lots. You can't shoehorn me, into rich people's shoes.
Repeating as you repeat:
Not trying to shoehorn anyone. I'm simply explaining why dealers don't negotiate price on cars they don't have on the lot and would have to order

Repeating:

Quote:
In 2011, I wanted an Eco-Cruze with 6sp. manual tranny. But the Chevy dealers wouldn't come down in price, plus they didn't have any!
Why would a dealer negotiation on a car they do not have to sell you?
How did you expect the dealer to get the car they didn't have on the lot? (Unless they ordered it for you)
Old 02-04-2019, 12:29 AM   #36 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Maybe if there were some gassers with such a low-end torque nearly as low as at idle, even though not even nearly as crude as this Dodge Power Wagon with its flathead-six, I guess more Americans would eventually become inclined to learn how to shift their own gears...
Old 02-04-2019, 09:21 PM   #37 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Why would a dealer negotiation on a car they do not have to sell you?
How did you expect the dealer to get the car they didn't have on the lot? (Unless they ordered it for you)
What are you twittering about? I drove to the dealer for an Eco-Cruze, they didn't have one & the dealer told me to go to Hyundai to get an Elantra. I obeyed his advice, to my many years of happiness with the Elantra, my avoidance of the Cruze, AND my further purchase of another Elantra.
You just don't like a happy story & need to get the last word.

Last edited by litesong; 02-04-2019 at 09:37 PM..
Old 02-04-2019, 10:15 PM   #38 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
What are you twittering about? I drove to the dealer for an Eco-Cruze, they didn't have one & the dealer told me to go to Hyundai to get an Elantra. I obeyed his advice, to my many years of happiness with the Elantra, my avoidance of the Cruze, AND my further purchase of another Elantra.
You just don't like a happy story & need to get the last word.
I guess I was confused by you saying the Chevy dealer wouldn't come down on the price of a Eco Cruze.

Enjoy your Elantra.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:41 AM   #39 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Believe it or not, a single-cab version of this beauty is still made in my country, and its only transmission available is a 5-speed ZF manual.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:32 AM   #40 (permalink)
Rob

Silver Bullet - '00 Honda Civic HX
Manual 5 speed over an ottomatik

Two reasons I favor a manual transmission. #1 I cannot repair an automatic #2 I drive a 4 cylinder 99 CR-V and do occasional towing. The 5 speed gives me a greater range of gears than the auto, and, I get to choose when the shift happens not the trans. I moved my son from Southern Calif. to east Texas 10 years ago with a stacked high 4x8ft. trailer. Third and fourth gear were very useful in a few places.

Reply  Post New Thread