Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2021, 06:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Mazda - '12 Mazda 3 Skyactiv
90 day: 32.58 mpg (US)
Created a thread so I figured I'd introduce myself

I wanted to ask a question and I'm bad at forums so I forgot to introduce myself first. Anyway, it's only by a few minutes. I like cars and driving but I'm not much of a mechanic (trying to improve). I'm technically an attorney if you're curious but I just review documents.

My main interest here is improving aerodynamics. I used to drive a 100-mile one way commute for nearly two years, during which I switched from a beautiful '03 G35 5AT to a '12 Mazda 3 Skyactiv 6MT and nearly doubled my gas mileage in the process. Looking for ways to improve it further (and maybe on other cars) brought me here. I've been up and down window shopping sports sedans, which is where my heart lies even though I can't really afford one yet; wishing the Q50 hybrid was still an option, or that I could get a Stinger with better mileage, and so on. I was very intrigued by the new 2.5t in the '22 Stinger, but then being even more realistic I decided that a PHEV is really what I want, since now my commute is non-existent and likely to only be a few miles if I do get one again. I can still only justify one car so a pure EV doesn't seem right for me right now and they seem expensive even if they maybe aren't.

Anyway it's not as though buying a car is happening for another six months minimum or more likely a year. Window shopping for cars and parts to ruin them with is just a hobby of mine. I also especially like the idea of ruining my car to make it more efficient. I just wish I was more of a fabricator. I'm always so jealous of people that just go build stuff. I know I can get the skills; I'm simply lamenting that I don't presently have them.

Probably too much text but did I mention I'm bad at forums?

Anyway, hello. My name is, in fact, Jeff.

Last edited by falkin42; 06-19-2021 at 06:24 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-19-2021, 08:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Welcome, belatedly.

Quote:
Window shopping for cars and parts to ruin them with is just a hobby of mine.
So say we all.

The newer you get the less 'low hanging fruit'. But there aren't a lot of elder PHEV, 'thin on the ground' as they say.

Old 06-22-2021, 11:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

You know I identify many of my things with "-beard" or Beardsley or the like. I've only had one of varying lengths for like 20 years.
I've been thinking about a Fusion Energi or Niro or something. I'd love a Clarity or even a Volt but I'll admit to being rather stuck on a sunroof. Hell I'm considering a 330e too, just for the RWD of it.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Honda Clarity has reached end of life.

When I was half my age, my beard was twice as long. Now it falls out faster than it grows in. The handle is a tribute to Lynyrd Skynrd.

Old 06-27-2021, 11:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
A belated welcome, Jeff.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 06-28-2021, 11:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ugh that's terrible news. I hate that the market apparently decided that PHEVs aren't the right answer. They're all disappearing.

Also hello to you as well.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falkin42 View Post
I hate that the market apparently decided that PHEVs aren't the right answer. They're all disappearing.
Doesn't seem to be the case for some high-end models, which nowadays I am seeing more often as PHEVs than ICE-only.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yes, the luxury cars are using it. I'm not terribly interested in a Volvo, personally, or anything else that's that expensive simply because of a badge. I'd still do a 330e but because it has the driveline I want, not because it's a BMW. I actually sometimes give them even less credit in my head because then I'd be driving a luxury car and that's not really who I am. Things like intangible quality or the "dealership experience" are completely irrelevant to me. I buy products, not brands. I'm also constantly cautious about conscious conspicuous consumption. (Who doesn't like a little alliteration?) Oh also I'm not wealthy.
My new crush is the Rav4 Prime, but they're so big. I've been thinking about dropping one on air to take out a few inches but I'm used to cars so even the seating position will be strange. Despite being a "compact" crossover/suv it's too tall.

Last edited by falkin42; 07-01-2021 at 07:18 PM..
Old 07-02-2021, 01:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falkin42 View Post
Yes, the luxury cars are using it.
Mostly for a more favorable tax bracket in countries such as mine, or just to show off how their buyers are into the newest technologies.

Quote:
I'm not terribly interested in a Volvo, personally, or anything else that's that expensive simply because of a badge.
Volvo is still often praised for its safety features, but its recent models became too bland. Even a Lexus may look more attractive sometimes.

Quote:
I'd still do a 330e but because it has the driveline I want, not because it's a BMW.
Of course. Well, even though BMW is not so strict into RWD as it used to be, its range is still quite interesting.

Quote:
I actually sometimes give them even less credit in my head because then I'd be driving a luxury car and that's not really who I am. Things like intangible quality or the "dealership experience" are completely irrelevant to me. I buy products, not brands.
Sometimes a luxury car may catch my attention, more specifically to some key features than to the whole "experience".

Quote:
My new crush is the Rav4 Prime, but they're so big. I've been thinking about dropping one on air to take out a few inches but I'm used to cars so even the seating position will be strange. Despite being a "compact" crossover/suv it's too tall.
I drove some SUVs, and their feeling is more comparable to a commercial truck even for some front-wheel drive ones. Whenever the handling of an SUV may be praised as "car-like", it's not the same at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
falkin42 (07-02-2021)
Reply  Post New Thread