Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2015, 11:29 AM   #71 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have to say this is one of the most interesting threads I have read on Ecomodder. Packed with tons of great ideas, pictures and results. Nice fabrication work too, which is not being recognized nearly enough. I think you have captured everyone's attention with a very attractive vehicle and impressive results. I will continue to follow your work. One thing the would be helpful if you have it to share is a list of the key modifications and the contribution to the results you have achieved. For example, you mentioned the alternator delete and its contribution. The belly pan numbers eluded me, along with the hand throttle. Clearly some items are big hit contributors to the results and others less so but still improvements. It would help us prioritize where to invest our time for the greatest benefit, besides starting with a VX.
Thanks Again!

The Following User Says Thank You to rwhyde For This Useful Post:
The donkey CRX (07-15-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-15-2015, 11:34 AM   #72 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hey! I am slightly offended by being characterized as a lurker, that sounds a bit creepy. I signed in and all. I just don't have a build thread going, but perhaps I will. I just don;t drive a regular route to work everyday as I travel by plane to other locations and work from home a good bit. I love Hondas as a platform to build on, but currently own a Prius, but am still looking for the "right" Honda Hybrid, but have to say this VX sure pushes my buttons.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:27 PM   #73 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
rwhyde: you can change your own user title if you like.

---

FYI, I got these questions/comments via e-mail after featuring this project in EcoModder's monthy e-mail newsletter:

Quote:
Source of deeper airdam? repositioning of rear muffler & tailpipe? Source of replacement rear window roof extension? Any handling or comfort or safety troubles from lowering?

I have a 94 cx with vx wheels & light mods & a 93 dx with '89 CRX Si wheels & light mods, had a 92 vx from 365,000 km to 425,000 km - sold when the 112,000 km dx became available.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 07-15-2015, 03:33 PM   #74 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
rwhyde: you can change your own user title if you like.

---

FYI, I got these questions/comments via e-mail after featuring this project in EcoModder's monthy e-mail newsletter:
Lol I didn't know you could edit your title, awesome!

Old 07-15-2015, 05:45 PM   #75 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

MULE VX - '92 Honda civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 92.6 mpg (US)

White 94 VX "Show Car" - '94 Honda Civic VX VX
90 day: 79.92 mpg (US)

The Walrus - '02 Honda Insight base
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 100.88 mpg (US)
Reply to Bluesteel "C" clips on Kammbach

Here are some pictures I took today. Hopefully they will show what you wanted to see.

The problem we had before was that the carbon fiber was so stiff it would not stay low enough on the sides and top to conform to the "template". So I made these hand made "C" clips that wrap around the rubber surround of the glass lift gate and force the kammbach to stay where I wanted it to be. They are made from some scrape .090 sheet aluminum. I created the curved "C" part by gradually bending the aluminum with our sheet metal bender at the shop. I know your brother can probably do the same with his.

Here are some pictures of how it is mounted.

Here is a picture of the kammbach up close. It has been modified quite a bit from its original purpose as a "drag racer wing" that kind of went almost straight back from the end of the roof.

Hope this shows you what you needed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The donkey CRX For This Useful Post:
AbramWagner (07-30-2015), bluesteel93 (07-15-2015), OG VX (07-16-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 06:03 PM   #76 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda

Gen-1 Insights
Reply to Slogfilet on side skirts

The pictures and details of the side skirts are listed on post #s 23,28,33, and 57 of this thread. If that doses not answer all your questions, let me know and I will try to clarify.
The Following User Says Thank You to The donkey CRX For This Useful Post:
slogfilet (07-17-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 07:13 PM   #77 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda

Gen-1 Insights
Reply to Rwhyde

Thanks for your kind words, Its great when others "connect" with what we are trying to accomplish.

Here is the list of modifications that are listed on my fuel log on this site. Most of these changes were all made at the same time and I don't have "documented" MPG improvements for each modification separately. But I do have a lot of experience with the results of these changes with 3 other Honda cars. 88 CRX, 95 VX, and the red 92 VX that had all of these same modifications done prior to putting them on the white 94 VX.

So here are the major modifications and my opinion of the MPG benefit of each:

14 X 5 1/2 HX wheels with Bridgestone RE 92 low rolling resistance tires. 7 or 8 MPG improvement over "regular" 13 inch tires.

Fuel pump "kill switch". 10 to 12 MPG. This is what I use to make EOC (engine off coasting) much easier. I am able to coast without using any gas between 17% and 20% of the total miles of my daily commute.

Alternator delete. 5-6 MPG. Because of the high up front cost of this modification, you may never recoup your cost with gas savings, but this modification also allows me to EOC at any time (night, winter, etc) without over working a regular starter battery.

Pre-heater for oil and water, 3-4 MPG. This mod really works in the winter, but also lowers the wear and tear on the engine all year long.

Next would be all the aero mods we did. Again the individual MPG numbers are my opinion, but I am very confident of the total MPG benefit.

Lowered car by 2 inches. 3-4 MPH. I was totally surprised by the improvement we saw with this modification. There seems to be a lot of doubt if this helps at all. I think it helped by lowering the "frontal area" and the amount of air that gets under the car. The downside is the rougher than normal ride quality that is not for everyone.

Adjustable grill block and filling of the fog light holes, along with the smooth transition to the belly pan by using an aftermarket spoiler. 3 MPG.

3/4 belly pan with rear diffuser 3-4 MPG

Larger than stock Kammbach 2 MPG

Delete of stock outside mirrors and addition of one small "moto" drivers side mirror. 1-2 MPH

Side skirts between the front and rear wheels. 1-2 MPG

Adjustable WAI (warm air intake) It's hard for me to put a MPG number to this mod, but I know it helps warm up the engine on start up and by keeping the intake air around 130 degrees I am convinced the computer leans out the fuel enough to improve MPG

Hand throttle. <1 MPG. The main reason I installed this was to allow me to rest my ankle and leg during my commute (54 miles) and to act as a "manual cruise control" for long trips. It would only help MPG by the amount of time it was used to precisely control the throttle.

Filled all gaps in front between the fenders, hood, bumper and headlights. <1 MPG. I can't measure any benefit from this modification, but I don't think it hurts MPG either.

Hope this helps. Remember, your mileage my vary from these numbers.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The donkey CRX For This Useful Post:
BabyDiesel (07-16-2015), bluesteel93 (07-15-2015), COcyclist (07-27-2015), OG VX (07-16-2015), rwhyde (07-17-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 10:22 PM   #78 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Turtle - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 48.37 mpg (US)

SVO - '86 Ford Mustang SVO
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Thanks for the pics Donkey CRX. They clear up all of the questions I had. I'm heading out to my brothers tomorrow to install my coilovers, so I'll have to start brainstorming what direction I want to go with the kammback while I'm out there.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluesteel93 For This Useful Post:
The donkey CRX (07-17-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #79 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Great post The Donkey CRX! C-clips are a great solution for clean and easily removable/reversible modding. I love how you went the extra mile, even painting the nut and bolt heads. Attention to detail is always top-notch on all of your mods!

Curious, do you mind posting a link to the original drag race wing that you used as a starting point?
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

The Following User Says Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
The donkey CRX (07-17-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 04:51 PM   #80 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda

Gen-1 Insights
Hi OG, I talked to my brother who ordered the kammbach sometime in 2012. He got it from CCC Racing and paid $150 as best as he can remember.

Reply  Post New Thread