Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2015, 02:37 PM   #41 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98civHX View Post
With lean burn I should be getting better gas mileage then? I know these cars are made for the lean burn but will consistently getting into this mode be bad for the catalytic converter?
Yes you will get better mileage, why would honda design a system that would destroy your cats?

Here's your sign.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-05-2015, 06:37 PM   #42 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Yes you will get better mileage, why would honda design a system that would destroy your cats?

Here's your sign.
I've read on different threads that it wasn't suppose to be the greatest for your cat. How can I identify lean burn in my ultragauge?
Old 11-05-2015, 07:52 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
I've read on different threads that it wasn't suppose to be the greatest for your cat. How can I identify lean burn in my ultragauge?
Lean burn will make your Ultragauge read a little low on the mpg readout. It's close enough, that I don't worry about the discrepancy too much. While calibrating the gauge, I try to keep out of lean burn as much as possible.

On my '01, I have the Ultragauge monitor the second O2 sensor. When lean burn engages, the O2 sensor reports 0.000. You should be able to detect a very subtle stumble as it enters lean mode and has a slight reduction in power. When it disengages, you should feel a similarly subtle lurch.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 11-05-2015, 08:54 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
With lean burn I should be getting better gas mileage then? I know these cars are made for the lean burn but will consistently getting into this mode be bad for the catalytic converter?
Lean burn is like having taller gears on demand, or a smaller displacement engine. It improves gas mileage by reducing pumping losses and might possibly also improve BSFC.

The cats in Honda's lean burn cars last just as long as catalytic converters in other cars, as far as I can tell.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:25 PM   #45 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Lean burn will make your Ultragauge read a little low on the mpg readout. It's close enough, that I don't worry about the discrepancy too much. While calibrating the gauge, I try to keep out of lean burn as much as possible.

On my '01, I have the Ultragauge monitor the second O2 sensor. When lean burn engages, the O2 sensor reports 0.000. You should be able to detect a very subtle stumble as it enters lean mode and has a slight reduction in power. When it disengages, you should feel a similarly subtle lurch.
Alright, thanks! I'll look at the o2 sensor along with the tps and %engine load when I try to learn how to get into lean burn.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:27 PM   #46 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
As far as I know, the HX's oxygen sensor is the weakest part of the system. Balto mentioned this one, which at the time was $140, but is now $211. I found this one, then $175, now $170, plus four for shipping, but I need to turn off the check engine light about once a week. http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...low-30272.html

Either it enters and leaves lean burn all of the time at 55 MPH, or a faulty oxygen sensor is causing other issues.

Well, this is my car, all kinds of things could be wrong!

Everyone says that if you purchase an oxygen sensor made by anyone but NGK\NTK, who makes it for Honda, it will not work. Magestic Honda has some of the best prices, but they ask $405. List price is $586.95.

The other issue with the HX is the aluminum oil pan. Impact-wrench happy kids that perform bargain oil changes often over-tighten those, stripping them, and then you need a new pan.

Everyone recommends the Quickvalve.

With that, I can change my oil without tools!
Old 11-06-2015, 04:15 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
As far as I know, the HX's oxygen sensor is the weakest part of the system. Balto mentioned this one, which at the time was $140, but is now $211. I found this one, then $175, now $170, plus four for shipping, but I need to turn off the check engine light about once a week. http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...low-30272.html

Either it enters and leaves lean burn all of the time at 55 MPH, or a faulty oxygen sensor is causing other issues.

Well, this is my car, all kinds of things could be wrong!

Everyone says that if you purchase an oxygen sensor made by anyone but NGK\NTK, who makes it for Honda, it will not work. Magestic Honda has some of the best prices, but they ask $405. List price is $586.95.

The other issue with the HX is the aluminum oil pan. Impact-wrench happy kids that perform bargain oil changes often over-tighten those, stripping them, and then you need a new pan.

Everyone recommends the Quickvalve.

With that, I can change my oil without tools!
On my '01, I used a Bosch primary O2 sensor. No problems with the O2 sensor and lean burn functions.

I solve the oil pan issue by not allowing anyone to change oil but me... Cost for that solution is $0.00

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 11-06-2015, 04:36 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
I use a Fumoto valve on my Insight. Great investment.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #49 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

So, I lost one of my bolts and broke one when cleaning my egr passage ways. The idle is noticeably higher. I took it to the shop today and the mechanic tells me that it was something I shouldn't worry about as long as the plate is sitting there with three other bolts on. Is he correct?

Reply  Post New Thread