Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
I would love to help. I want to see these pics!

So, you don't need a URL for a pic... the URL request is probably just for vids that you first upload onto something like youtube. URL is just another way to say "link" in this context.

Go to the reply section below this screen and click "go advanced" button just under the box for your reply. On the "advanced" window there is a button, lower down, for "manage attachments." Click that and you will get a popup window that will allow you to browse for and then upload pics from your computer. You will probably need to reduce the size of your pics before posting them. That's east to do in MS PAint, which is on nearly every computer. I hope that helps (and maybe other who read the forum too).

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
backyard engineer (06-12-2011), Cd (06-13-2011), COcyclist (06-14-2011)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-13-2011, 12:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

tried that now got to resize for the forum limits please bear with me its late here I'll try again tomorrow. but If you can look into my album there are some there.

Last edited by backyard engineer; 06-13-2011 at 12:04 AM.. Reason: forgot
Old 06-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Pic of damp tufts

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard engineer View Post
tried that now got to resize for the forum limits please bear with me its late here I'll try again tomorrow. but If you can look into my album there are some there.
Sure. In the mean time, check this out when you get a chance. This morning I made a stop during my commute. When I came out a very light misting had started. It had coated lightly the windows and tufts with specs of water. They stuck in position from a 45-50mph peak speed in my final short leg. See pic. Separation down the spine beginning faintly in the third to last row, spanning four tufts in the second to last row, and a bubble of 6-8 tufts by the last row. My new trunk lid covers the bottom row.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001-1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	8692  
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Cd (06-22-2011)
Old 06-14-2011, 06:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
I wouldn't have guessed the separation would be more at the center. Here's to real-world testing, in spite of the fact that it's tougher than drawing lines on a screen or writing proposals!!

Old 06-14-2011, 09:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Thanks for testing!

I've seen similar effects on my sedan. I watch the drying dew in the morning - the upper corners dry first, the lower center is sometimes still wet when I get to work. I think the sedan must have a slightly larger bubble than yours, but the description is a close match.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 06-14-2011, 09:31 AM   #16 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
I wouldn't have guessed the separation would be more at the center. Here's to real-world testing, in spite of the fact that it's tougher than drawing lines on a screen or writing proposals!!
Next I'll tuft the trunk and build the vertical spine that Cd describes in post #2 above. Those two together will give me a sense of how the air is moving as it separates, I think. I should get a better guess at what the "wake" is like, no?

Old 06-15-2011, 09:15 AM   #17 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Can you confirm that airflow is reattaches at the end of the oem trunk lid? I've always assumed it does but never checked.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 06-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #18 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
Can you confirm that airflow is reattaches at the end of the oem trunk lid? I've always assumed it does but never checked.
Funny you should ask! Here it is. See the attached pic. I got treated to another SoCal morning misting. Here my newly applied tufts on the trunk lid were set in the misty surface at a max brief peak speed of 48mph. With 96 tufts, it looks like a recirculation bubble at its largest around 4 tufts and decreasing in size and effect out one tuft further in each direction. Does that translate to approx 4-12% drag area near the lid/window interface along the car's spine? It reattaches before the end of the OEM lid. That seems small to me, but it is what the raised lid is meant to eliminate or reduce. Next I'll tuft the current raised lid for comparison, then build a vertical piece to run down the pine, with tufts on it, to measure how the air is behaving above the car's immediate surface.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002-1.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	8712  

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
PaleMelanesian (06-15-2011)
Old 06-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Separation down the spine beginning faintly in the third to last row, spanning four tufts in the second to last row, and a bubble of 6-8 tufts by the last row. My new trunk lid covers the bottom row.
Is there any reason you are not going to have it go higher on your window, or further back? Both are beneficial, as the top left graph shows. You should still have good rearward visibility if you had your shelf cover the bottom two rows, and you should see a benefit.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
The reattach of flow at the trunk edge is pretty nice (in post #18 photo). But I wonder if it still happens at 60-70 mph? If you get another nice morning, can you tuft test at higher speeds?

Reply  Post New Thread