Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2022, 12:46 PM   #61 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
I don't begrudge a person liking what they like, but I often hear from Harley folk "when are you going to get a real bike" after they see my Honda.

Real affordable?
Real reliable?
Real fast?

I want to spend my time riding, not wrenching. To date, my bike has only had 1 problem with the electronic injection, and that was because I hadn't secured the battery cables tightly enough. There is an annoying rattle from a poorly designed automatic cam chain tensioner, but it doesn't affect operation and can be solved with a cheap manual tensioner. That's it, all the problems I've ever had with the 20 year old bike.

Heck, I've crashed a few times and the bike was always rideable.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-21-2022, 12:57 PM   #62 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
I think the Beetle sounds tuned when it is in fact in tune.
I accept your revisionism.

Old 06-21-2022, 01:03 PM   #63 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I don't begrudge a person liking what they like, but I often hear from Harley folk "when are you going to get a real bike" after they see my Honda.

Real affordable?
Real reliable?
Real fast?
Yep that got old when I was riding Japanese bikes. The funny thing is I don't get the same comments since I switched to BMWs. Hum - both Germany and Japanese were our enemies in WWII yet Germans are OK today but the resentment lingers with the Japanese...

However, the newish M8 engine is pretty nice. I've ridden most variations and Harley did a lot to refine their air-cooled twin. The Softail Heritage Classic is the best variation in my opinion. It is only let down by the overweight chassis they put it in and the poor ergonomics. Raise the seat 2 -3 inches and the ergonomics are fixed. To bad Harley didn't go farther back in their history for inspiration.

Old 06-22-2022, 05:54 PM   #64 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Harley-Davidson is the Ford Model T of motorcycles, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Yep that got old when I was riding Japanese bikes. The funny thing is I don't get the same comments since I switched to BMWs. Hum - both Germany and Japanese were our enemies in WWII yet Germans are OK today but the resentment lingers with the Japanese...
As it was basically impossible for the European motorcycle makers to remain competitive against the emerging Japanese competition at the entry-level motorcycle markets from the '60s on, they tended to concentrate efforts toward either something more specialized or "upscale". Well, had the top-of-the-range Honda motorcycles been branded Acura instead, possibly the image of "cheap" Japanese would be less likely to linger.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:35 AM   #65 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Japanese bikes are ok if you arent 2 meters tall, otherwise you get all folded up and uncomfortable on long straight road rides like in Nebraska. You also don't need to corner much on a straight road.

Yup harleys are an anachronism, but dang my dresser was comfortable on a hundred mile ride with the soft shocks, sprung seat and fairing the size of my ranger front end. (A june bug at 65 mph feels like you got shot by a .22) I also carried enough ice and beer for me and my friends when we got there.
wdb (06-25-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 11:04 AM   #66 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Japanese bikes are ok if you arent 2 meters tall, otherwise you get all folded up and uncomfortable on long straight road rides like in Nebraska. You also don't need to corner much on a straight road.

Yup harleys are an anachronism, but dang my dresser was comfortable on a hundred mile ride with the soft shocks, sprung seat and fairing the size of my ranger front end. (A june bug at 65 mph feels like you got shot by a .22) I also carried enough ice and beer for me and my friends when we got there.
To each their own. I find a standard riding position with my feet under my butt way more comfortable than the cruiser feet forward position that sends every bump right up my spine. The absolute worst motorcycle trip my wife and I had was on a rented Indian Chieftan that was so uncomfortable we both decided to take a day off of riding because our backs were so sore.

My wife won't even consider a fly and ride trip on a Harley after riding a bunch of different ones on local day trips. Here's hoping the Pan America comes to Eaglerider quick because as it stands today I'm just wasting money on the membership.

2 meters = 6 feet 7 inches tall. Sounds like a perfect fit for an ADV bike with the high seat option.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:58 AM   #67 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Why would I ever ride a motorcycle on long straight roads? Would just take a car and enjoy the climate control in that scenario. I get no enjoyment whatsoever driving in a straight line regardless of what I'm in, so might as well maximize comfort at that point.

Someday I might get a sport touring bike, but that might have to wait a couple decades.

Old 06-24-2022, 12:46 PM   #68 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Why would I ever ride a motorcycle on long straight roads? Would just take a car and enjoy the climate control in that scenario. I get no enjoyment whatsoever driving in a straight line regardless of what I'm in, so might as well maximize comfort at that point.

Someday I might get a sport touring bike, but that might have to wait a couple decades.
In a lot of the country you wouldn't ride a motorcycle if you didn't ride straight roads. Where I grew up in Michigan and started riding the roads were based on a 1 square mile grid. Corners were limited to interstate clover-leaf exits. The "curvy" motorcycle road in the county had about 4 gentle bends in 4 miles.
Old 06-24-2022, 02:38 PM   #69 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts

Touring top and black leather saddle bags with fringe and chrome stars. Frisco pegs so you can stretch your legs.

Headlamp would be an 8" '34 Ford truck bucket, with angel eyes for parades.

Motorbike ambience with cager weather protection.

Old 06-24-2022, 02:47 PM   #70 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
In a lot of the country you wouldn't ride a motorcycle if you didn't ride straight roads. Where I grew up in Michigan and started riding the roads were based on a 1 square mile grid. Corners were limited to interstate clover-leaf exits. The "curvy" motorcycle road in the county had about 4 gentle bends in 4 miles.
My buddy in Enid, OK had a sportbike. The center was worn flat because he never turned.

Reply  Post New Thread