Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2021, 12:24 PM   #341 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I mean, that's an impossible rule to enforce, prohibiting standalone solar.

"What's that".
"Sunshade. Also, nunya business. Also, get off my lawn".
End of conversation.
Solar on roof “bans” are easily enforced by the ideotic zoning and municipal codes coupled with HOA bilaws

In most areas
To get a building permit for rooftop solar requires an overpriced set of local approved contractors, a bunch of lengthy approvals and at the end of the day pay more on legal than the panels

If you just put them on municipalities with view it as an unapproved improvement and tear it down for you.

In most areas with zoning you have to put the panels stand alone on their own post XX distance from buildings to evade the high costs, contractors and panel limitations.

Last edited by rmay635703; 11-11-2021 at 12:39 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (11-11-2021)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-11-2021, 02:15 PM   #342 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Solar on roof “bans” are easily enforced by the ideotic zoning and municipal codes coupled with HOA bilaws

In most areas
To get a building permit for rooftop solar requires an overpriced set of local approved contractors, a bunch of lengthy approvals and at the end of the day pay more on legal than the panels

If you just put them on municipalities with view it as an unapproved improvement and tear it down for you.

In most areas with zoning you have to put the panels stand alone on their own post XX distance from buildings to evade the high costs, contractors and panel limitations.
This is what I was referring to. It's cheaper, easier and more effective to just install them on my car than on my house because the car doesn't fall under the mercy of building codes, HOA's or landlords

For me I would have to get approval from my landlord to install a 4 foot deep footer and stem wall all the way around my house, place pillars from there up to the level of the roof, frame and build another roof over my roof, and then, only then could I install solar panels on it.

Unless I installed the solar panels flat facing straight up.

But my house is also in the shade of a pine tree during parts of the day during the winter.
Old 11-11-2021, 06:17 PM   #343 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwichse View Post
The brakes are actually tucked inside the back of the motor. You can just barely see caliper in the pic I linked up there, but here's a shot of another model from Elaphe showing how the brakes work:

Looks like a real PITA to work on.
Are those coolant hookups?
Old 11-11-2021, 06:59 PM   #344 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Three orange wires is generally polyphase DC. Are you talking about the brass barbs? Possibly hydraulic lines.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:16 PM   #345 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post

In most areas

My comment was in response to ground mounted solar being disallowed on one's own property.

In places that disallow solar on the roof, I'd like to do the Tesla glass roof and just claim it's a glass roof.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 11-11-2021, 07:20 PM   #346 (permalink)
Thalmaturge

The Tinyvan - '07 Honda Fit Sport

Spicy Italian - '13 Fiat 500 Abarth

eBike - '94 Trek Mountain Track 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Are those coolant hookups?
Yeah, they've said somewhere the motors are liquid cooled.
Old 11-11-2021, 08:37 PM   #347 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
So not only are the motors unsprung weight, but the coolant as well. I dislike the way this is engineered. Maybe I’m wrong, and that certainly can be since I have no formal and minimal informal engineering knowledge, but it seems suboptimal.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 11-12-2021, 08:51 AM   #348 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
The average Jolene would never need the performance and probably can't detect the consequences. I'm pretty sure I can't and I used to do Gymkhana with huge heavy tires, but GAWD they were sticky.
Old 11-18-2021, 09:46 AM   #349 (permalink)
Thalmaturge

The Tinyvan - '07 Honda Fit Sport

Spicy Italian - '13 Fiat 500 Abarth

eBike - '94 Trek Mountain Track 820
More devel info.

Quote:
Our new assembly facility is complemented by two additional spaces nearby for beta development, R&D, and solar composite manufacturing. Our team is moving in phases, not quite fully settled in yet, and we look forward to sharing our new assembly facility with you as we continue this phase of testing and development. In addition to revealing our new facility, we will create videos highlighting Aptera’s performance. They will become available closer to production time as our current focus is to ensure that we are set to hit our production goals. In the meantime, we will keep our supporters up to date on the progress and cannot thank you enough for your patience.

We are using all available resources to perform hot/cold extreme environment testing at various proving-ground locations around the country. There are windshield wipers! It's an exciting road ahead and we're happy to share this story with you as we move towards production. We are humbled and beyond grateful for the support we have received thus far. We are continuing testing to integrate those findings into Aptera's production-ready design. Please be advised, the mounts for the Alpha pants in the Jay Leno video are just not that strong. The Beta’s will have an inner liner that also braces the whole assembly to the motor. This will be much stronger.

In addition, we will possibly have blind-spot warning systems for the back window, but rear and front cameras help. We are still testing which systems will be most useful to our drivers'. Specifics will be shared as we undergo more testing. We aren't in the position to provide demo videos just yet. The side windows are split with an upper fixed glass and lower roll down window. It does partially block your view of the birds but should be fine for traffic visibility. This concern is being accounted for as we finalize the design of the vehicle. Thank you for your feedback. In regards to the wheels, you can see the front view of the vehicle while driving through the display cameras so you can adjust easily in tight places. They will provide enough support for the driver to maneuver comfortably. The wheels are wide at 88" but they are very visible to the driver and after some experience, it is easy to track the position of the wheels. In addition, The plan is to have side rear-view cameras instead of mirrors. However, due to federal government requirements, our first versions will likely need a single reflective side mirror when we start production. Many car companies have been lobbying to change that but no news just yet. Please let us know if you have any questions. Many more updates to come as we push the efficiency envelope on mobility and launch our solar electric vehicle, Aptera.
The Following User Says Thank You to samwichse For This Useful Post:
freebeard (11-18-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 04:42 PM   #350 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
So not only are the motors unsprung weight, but the coolant as well. I dislike the way this is engineered. Maybe I’m wrong, and that certainly can be since I have no formal and minimal informal engineering knowledge, but it seems suboptimal.
Given the increased weight to be durable within wheel one has to question what the big deal of moving a similar motor inboard with a halfshaft going out ?

In wheel planetary reduction is a thing so I don’t see why they couldn’t pull it off with smaller everything even a smaller motor if left inboard

The argument of drag on the halfshaft is lost when tons of lines run to the wheel

Also worth noting a wheel can be mounted by a solid “wing” with the halfshaft inside if you are willing to give up some toe control. (Aka no control arms)

The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (11-19-2021)
Reply  Post New Thread