Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Events & Meet-ups
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
that would be fun

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Geoff - 5 speed swap - '02 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 49.46 mpg (US)

Fusing Titanium - '19 Ford Fusion Titanium
Team Ford
90 day: 50.91 mpg (US)
A meet in Ohio would be nice. I currently live in Athens but I will be soon moving to Defiance / Bowling Green area. If something like this does happen I would like to know.

The eclipse has retired, but I still like seeing it around
Old 08-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
I am thinking a driving competition in the Broadview Heights area, and then meet and chat afterwards.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic CX/HX - '97 Honda Civic CX/HX
Team Honda
90 day: 63.77 mpg (US)
Has a date been firmed up for this? Middle of Oct would work well for me.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Bluemobile - '11 Honda CR-Z EX
Thanks, UltArc! At last, a concrete proposal... Be happy to come to Broadview Heights. What do you have in mind for a driving competition?
Old 08-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovr41991 View Post
Has a date been firmed up for this? Middle of Oct would work well for me.
Not yet, but who else likes october 20th?
I believe that will be the date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondWind View Post
Thanks, UltArc! At last, a concrete proposal... Be happy to come to Broadview Heights. What do you have in mind for a driving competition?
My basic thought is this. Driving competition, based on EPA standard, to what we get in real life. Roughly a 30 minute drive, .1 gallon penalty for every MINUTE after 5 minutes past the Google Maps time estimate. I have a general route made, with a Metropark, some city, some highway, uphill, down, a wide variety of driving conditions.

A traffic CITATION is a one gallon penalty.

So to be clear, roughly 30 minute drive. 5 extra minutes to make it. I have a fuel station in mind to use, and we will all fill up to start at the same pump, to full, and then see how much fuel we each use.

So lets say you decided to race really fast, you made the 30 minute drive in 10 minutes, but got a speeding ticket or red light ticket. However much fuel you used would add one gallon. If one made it in 37 minutes, then there would be a .2 gallon penalty. This should add a bit more challenge, but be fair. Otherwise nothing would stop one from just pushing their car! Lol

Does this make sense? If people don't like it, we can change it or not use it. I just want everyone who could participate to do so, while some vehicles will have an easy advantage for just being efficient.

And time to enforce keeping up with traffic. I have heard from a source I can't remember that commuting over an hour or so, speeding saves three minutes or something. So five should be fair, for only thirty minutes.

What do you guys think? Route will be posted soon!

I will treat something for first place! Where ever we go after, buy a drink or snack. If everyone wanted to put in a dollar, first place could get a small gift card. I doubt there will be much to it, lol, but still. I always like to have something to win, though I doubt I would win.

Best Tanks:

Last edited by UltArc; 08-21-2012 at 09:43 PM..
Old 08-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
Sounds like a rough plan. Is it a one gallon or one mpg off the average per min late?

If you know the route you have an unfair advantage over those of use who have not run it before.

How about we do it twice. Once just as a warm up the second timerun it for max mpg and see just time it to see the ratio of time to.mpg?
Old 08-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #18 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Spotter View Post
Sounds like a rough plan. Is it a one gallon or one mpg off the average per min late?

If you know the route you have an unfair advantage over those of use who have not run it before.

How about we do it twice. Once just as a warm up the second timerun it for max mpg and see just time it to see the ratio of time to.mpg?
.1 per minute, I didn't want it to be too harsh. I know google exagerates how long it takes, and five extra should work for everyone. Again, just a basic plan, I want to make something everyone can enjoy.

And I didn't think of that, I live about 30 minutes away, and I drive past the fuel station once a week. I used google maps to make it. But if we run at 13:00, anyone can show up early and run it. Over the years living in Ohio I may have driven it, but I don't believe I have. In fact, There has been construction in the area, I should double check the roads before we get there and get stuck lol

Best Tanks:
Old 08-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
0.1 MPG sounds about right a nominal 30 min drive with the aerotrix turns into a 40 or 45 min trip She likes it slow, bur rewards with great MPG

Does time count or best MPG over epa decide the winner?
Old 08-22-2012, 11:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Spotter View Post
0.1 MPG sounds about right a nominal 30 min drive with the aerotrix turns into a 40 or 45 min trip She likes it slow, bur rewards with great MPG

Does time count or best MPG over epa decide the winner?
I didn't think finishing early should really get an extra reward. That might make it more so tricky, I mean if I just go flat out everywhere, I am sure that trip can be done in 15-20 minutes*... Or the CTS V from PA, too, could make quick work. If people are interested in adding a bonus for coming in early, I am open to the idea, but I didn't have it in my original plan.

*This is where the police penalty could also come in play lol

I think everyone will have to bring a stop watch, or stop by wal mart and get one. On a day off I will go out there and check out the whole area, the route, fuel station, a place afterwards we can park and admire and get some food.

I don't know too much about it, but I cross through and there is interstate, woods, hills, all kinds of different areas. It will be very diverse. I am thinking have each person fill up, and when they pull away the time will begin. Time will end when they pull into the station. So if anyone decides to engine off and coast in, I will help push to the pump lol I know as soon as I can, I want to cut the engine.

I say this because it seems unfair if we have a line for cars to be idling. I am going to ask if we can 'reserve' a pump so people can cruise right in, but I would expect everyone to fill their tanks as slowly as possible, so we may have some of our people waiting in line. I'd rather push someones car then them not have fair circumstances.

But to answer, time doesn't matter as long one beats 35 minutes, "winning" is highest % over EPA estimate. I figured Fuel Economy standard.

Edit: I don't want to leave my wife there, but I don't think she wants to drive it in her truck, and I don't really want an extra 120 lbs slowing me down lol. If she is okay with it, she can keep times, along with any other guests who don't ride along.

And I didn't want to mention thia in case it doesn't work out, but I was thinking this saturday I will do a drive through and video record for youtube, so everyone can see the route. Better than G Maps, so one can see elevation changes better, and all that. I will print directions anyways, if people desire by then, but thia involves getting off work while it is day light, figuring out how to transfer video from mobile to computer to youtube, and before all that- recording, while shifting, while navigating where ever I am and not getting any phone calls during. So hopefully, but maybe not.

Best Tanks:

Last edited by UltArc; 08-22-2012 at 11:33 PM.. Reason: Addition.
Reply  Post New Thread