Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Whitey - '10 Ford Ranger XL
Pickups
90 day: 33.74 mpg (US)

Hershey - '13 Nissan Altima SL
90 day: 28.68 mpg (US)

Midas - '10 Toyota Prius two
Tried EOC for the first time

So got off of work at a weird hour and decided to try to one up my P&G by trying out engine off coasting. Well my truck kicked on the traction control light and it didn't turn off for the entire trip. I'm pretty sure my traction control uses braking to obtain stability, and I don't know if the system keeps up with the light on.

Also my scangauge doesn't like to keep up with the trip recording. Is there anyway to remedy that?

Check out my facebook page, if you feel like watching my progress.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MPGran...007268?sk=wall
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-28-2012, 11:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

TBA - '07 Honda Fit
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPGranger View Post
Also my scangauge doesn't like to keep up with the trip recording. Is there anyway to remedy that?
I don't have a remedy for the traction control issue.

As far as the trip recording, you should change the "engine type" setting from "gas" to "hybrid". This way the scan gauge won't restart when you key off the car.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
GRU
Master EcoModder

silver bullet - '00 Honda Civic
90 day: 34.41 mpg (US)
install a kill switch to turn off the fuel injectors. there is plenty of info if you do a search on how to do that

Old 06-29-2012, 06:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU View Post
install a kill switch to turn off the fuel injectors. there is plenty of info if you do a search on how to do that
I really need to do this with my '97 Ranger, for a few reasons.

First off, it pisses me off when it's time to EO when I'm listening to something on the radio. If I am careful enough, I can move the key far enough to loose ignition and keep radio power, but, it usually kicks out during re-ignition. Why the hell do all the domestic manufacturers put ACC over on the other side of the OFF position? The other reason is I get an assortment of buzzes and tones when I do it from time to time. Not sure what they mean other than they are the ECU saying WTF?

My wife's '09 Sonata doesn't seem to mind this procedure as there are no CELs or tones. There is one thing it does however. After an EOC, the cruise control generally will not re-engage. The only way to reset it is to stop and restart the engine the conventional way.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Whitey - '10 Ford Ranger XL
Pickups
90 day: 33.74 mpg (US)

Hershey - '13 Nissan Altima SL
90 day: 28.68 mpg (US)

Midas - '10 Toyota Prius two
Quote:
But would that fix the traction control issue?

Check out my facebook page, if you feel like watching my progress.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MPGran...007268?sk=wall
Old 06-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 42.77 mpg (US)
Before I installed my injector kill switch, I ran a test by pulling the fuel injector fuse while the engine was running. I then confirmed that the engine started normally after reinstalling the fuse.
06 Canyon: The vacuum gauge plus wheel covers helped increase summer 2015 mileage to 38.5 MPG, while summer 2016 mileage was 38.6 MPG without the wheel covers. Drove 33,021 miles 2016-2018 at 35.00 MPG.

22 Maverick: Summer 2022 burned 62.74 gallons in 3145.1 miles for 50.1 MPG. Winter 2023-2024 - 2416.7 miles, 58.66 gallons for 41 MPG.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

TBA - '07 Honda Fit
Quote:
That's easy to say, but sadly I'm going to have to disagree with you here. I have found very little info with easy to take steps to install an injector kill switch. Especially when there's no injector fuse.

No one has taken the time to do a good write up as far as I've seen.
The Following User Says Thank You to HilseeJ For This Useful Post:
MPGranger (07-06-2012)
Old 07-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

No nickname - '17 Chevrolet BoltEV Premiere
Quote:
Originally Posted by HilseeJ View Post
That's easy to say, but sadly I'm going to have to disagree with you here. I have found very little info with easy to take steps to install an injector kill switch. Especially when there's no injector fuse.

No one has taken the time to do a good write up as far as I've seen.
Go to the DIY / How-To section and scroll down a little. I looked only at the first page and saw two write-ups on Honda cars getting a kill switch. They are not likely to be exactly the same as your car, but they are still Honda cars. that means they probably have the same basic design. A side benefit to scrolling down and searching this way is finding items you never even thought about.

AFAIK, some injector fuses are located in a fuse block under the hood, not in the passenger compartment. Don't be discouraged.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

TBA - '07 Honda Fit
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasstingy View Post
Go to the DIY / How-To section and scroll down a little. I looked only at the first page and saw two write-ups on Honda cars getting a kill switch. They are not likely to be exactly the same as your car, but they are still Honda cars. that means they probably have the same basic design. A side benefit to scrolling down and searching this way is finding items you never even thought about.

AFAIK, some injector fuses are located in a fuse block under the hood, not in the passenger compartment. Don't be discouraged.
I have the manual to my car which lists all the fuses, both under the hood and under the steering wheel.

In this guide: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...elsol-709.html

It points to a pgm-fi fuse. I have no such fuse.

The only other write up I saw was for a metro after looking through the first three pages.

Just for the hell of it, I'm going to list my fuses here (only the ones that I don't know what they are/might be what I need to interrupt). If any of these sound like what I'm looking for, please let me know. I've scoured these forums and google and found no really good write up.

If someone can explain to me what I need to do or which fuse I need to use I will write a guide so idiot proof a monkey can do it.

Here's the list:

10A - IG METER
7.5A - HAC
15A - IGP
10A - LAF
7.5A - LAF
15A - DBW
15A - Ignition Coil
60A - EPS
50A - Ignition

Thank you to anyone in advance.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
I used this guide to do the '97 Civic I had: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...vic-12075.html That method puts the switch right at the pgm-fi relay. Could you post a picture/list of all the fuses and relays?

This is why there isn't a fool-proof guide, every car is different.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Reply  Post New Thread