Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Got MPG?
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Southern Alberta, Canada
Posts: 330

The Car - '09 Toyota Corolla CE Enhanced
Thanks: 13
Thanked 43 Times in 38 Posts
Normal commute 55mph (90kph) 95% highway, ~35mph (56 kph) in the city for the other 5%

__________________
2013 Honda Civic Si - 2.4L
OEM front to back belly pan from the factory.
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 04-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Diesel_Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,194

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Thanks: 112
Thanked 502 Times in 211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanBurn View Post
Normal commute 55mph (90kph) 95% highway, ~35mph (56 kph) in the city for the other 5%
Is that your average speed or your average cruising speed? You must be flying to average 35 mph in the city.
__________________
Diesel Dave

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html


  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Diesel_Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,194

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Thanks: 112
Thanked 502 Times in 211 Posts
Here are my specific numbers (by tank) -- in mph:
29.02
28.15
29.72
29.82
28.33
27.13
29.50
30.83
28.98
30.11
29.71
28.87
28.71
26.08
28.32
25.28
25.87
25.54
25.65
27.16
__________________
Diesel Dave

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html


  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Got MPG?
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Southern Alberta, Canada
Posts: 330

The Car - '09 Toyota Corolla CE Enhanced
Thanks: 13
Thanked 43 Times in 38 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dave View Post
Is that your average speed or your average cruising speed? You must be flying to average 35 mph in the city.
I have unrestrained 55mph (90kph) on the highway no exceptions. I have one stop light in one town and a stop sign in the next....that's it, besides that its 35mph (50kph) in each town. I very rarely hit the light.
__________________
2013 Honda Civic Si - 2.4L
OEM front to back belly pan from the factory.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Chief Cook and Bottlewash
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 69

Forester Whitaker - '11 Subaru Forester
90 day: 20.18 mpg (US)

Xterra - '13 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
90 day: 20.4 mpg (US)

Hardbody - '94 Nissan D21 XE
90 day: 27.68 mpg (US)
Thanks: 7
Thanked 25 Times in 13 Posts
From newest to oldest, since I started tracking average MPH from my UG:

MPH MPG
46.9 31.3
42.8 29.0
51.4 30.9
53.3 29.9
41.4 30.2
39.3 30.3
34.7 29.9
34.3 27.9
41.1 30.2
38.1 28.3

Just posted the MPG numbers for fun as there's no strong correlation.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 2,442

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,422
Thanked 731 Times in 553 Posts
Average speed is in signature.

I've noted that FE is good in a CTD where the average speed is at least 26-mph. Below that it drops like a stone for a given truck specification (to cite variances in vehicle spec, climate, terrain and driver skill).

Asking this question on CTD forums has tended to confirm this average.

I suspect it is true for nearly all other automobiles as well.

As lower highway travel speeds are conducive to highest mpg (above 60, is, literally, speeding), so, too, is the elimination of idling conducive to highest average mph (no drive thru's, no idling for interior temp regulation).

One might look at average mph and long-distance travel speed as ideal where they are numerically closest together.

How to do that is known as a "trip plan".

.

Last edited by slowmover; 04-10-2013 at 12:28 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 1,724

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Thanks: 55
Thanked 95 Times in 75 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dremd
30-35 mph typical, but I spend lots and lots of time on the interstate (I can see it from my house).
I've seen as low as 19, and as high as 62 for tanks before.
__________________
2012 Tesla Model S P85
2013 Nissan LEAF SV totaled by now deceased intoxacated driver.
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,927
Thanks: 877
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,302 Posts
After 45 years living here in Eastern Va, I know all of the best routes, even know most of the potholes. I average 35 MPH by precise light timing, usually catching less than 5 lights out of 23 either way. It's a treat when I can catch a 12 second green left turn in an over 1 minute cycle after driving 12 miles form my house. To do this requires me to maintain a very precise speed. On route 143 that is 48 in a 45 zone. 2 MPH slower and I will catch many more yellow lights, to fast and I hit the reds before the traffic starts moving away when the light turns green.

I would be that the window is so small that at the end of my 20 mile drive my arrival time can probably be measured in seconds. I can avoid this by taking the Interstate but risk getting caught by an accident and sitting for over an hour while they clean up the mess. It happens occasionally but I generally avoid the Interstate here, even to the point of taking the older state and US routes on trips to the step daughters houses.

Being retired I can avoid the congestion during rush hour and it is always a consideration when the wife and I go out to dinner as well as timing our arrival to avoid the periods when others crowd restaurants. Lots of time we get there a little early and when we leave the line is many times longer than when we arrived.

Knowing the less travelled routes helps greatly when congestion gets really heavy, which can happen anytime but is mostly seasonal here when the tourists arrive in summertime. The Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel has had traffic backups of 14 miles and 14 hours to travel that distance. We listen to the traffic report as we leave the neighborhood and also watch the Interstate overpasses as we travel down 143 which runs parallel to I64 heading east from my home.

regards
Mech
  Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Flakbadger (04-11-2013), slowmover (07-05-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
Rat Racer
 
Fat Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Route 16
Posts: 3,452

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,354
Thanked 1,508 Times in 955 Posts
I hadn't bothered to care, but I just decided to go out and check. I filled up last Thursday, and the UG shows 57.5 avg mph since then.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
40-60-40 MPH P&G
 
echo-francis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: laval, QC
Posts: 276

Echo-P&G - '05 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
90 day: 82.76 mpg (US)
Thanks: 45
Thanked 111 Times in 57 Posts
my average speed for my commute is about 18-20 MPH (lots of city and lights)

__________________
Best Tank (1557.2 Km): 2.57 LHK (91.63 MPG (US) )
Best Highway Trip (~36.8 Km): 2.16 LHK (109 MPG (US) )
Best Commute Trip avg (73.8 Km ): 2.33 LHK (101 MPG (US) )
Echo-Troll Modding Thread

I know i dont have a very good write-up
no lean-burn? no good gear ratio? p&g is the answer
MPG=1 TIME=0
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com