Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2020, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thumbs up Awesome results with a 2018 Yaris IA ( 50.7mpg lifetime mpg )

Hey all. Been hypermiling for 7 years and wanted to highlight a cool compact car, because there isn't a lot of discussion on newer cars here.

Back in 2018, i set out to buy a new Honda Insight. I was impressed with the car's power and comfort but the low visibility really bugged me. The slowness and funky design of the new Prius also was off putting. What i really wanted was a hybrid with a manual. I test drove a Honda CRZ with a stick and was extremely disappointed with the MPG.

So i decided to test drive every subcompact on the market and the Mazda-2 based Yaris put out the most impressive mpg i've seen. Promptly bought one, with a stick, on discount for $14k.

In 60mph average driving, i can regularly see 55-65mpg. My best highway run so far has resulted in 68.7mpg.

In order to get the 40mpg highway rating, you have to be doing 75-80 with the AC on. The car is vastly underrated. Even against a headwind doing 70 with the AC on, i'm still in the mid 45mpg!

The car has decent power and is nice looking for a subcompact. I can pull a 0-60 in about 9 seconds, so it's quicker than a prius, mirage, etc.

The car has a CD of 0.3 but a very small frontal area. It glides almost as well as my '01 Honda Insight in neutral. There are no under body panels and i think the aerodynamics would improve a lot with them. I'm still in warranty, so i haven't modded the car at all.

Unfortunately due to nobody buying them, Toyota is cancelling the Yaris overall. It's really sad because the last generation is leaps ahead of the past ones. You may be able to pick one up cheap in the future. But it's an interesting ecomodding target IMHO

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to neptronix For This Useful Post:
Daschicken (06-25-2020), Ecky (06-26-2020), MeteorGray (06-25-2020), mpg_numbers_guy (06-26-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-25-2020, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Great report!

I, too, have found Mazda and derivatives perform very well. I've been very happy with my '15 Mazda3 automatic. Without any extraordinary efforts and just steady driving, my lifetime mileage is at almost 45mpg.

Great mileage and outstanding reliability.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I'm amazed that a mazda3 with an automatic can do so well. I've noticed that their car designs are generally pretty aerodynamic... i suppose it's not a big surprise.

I used to be a honda/nissan guy, but man.. Mazdas are that perfect combination of power, handling, good looks and efficiency. I'm surprised there aren't more threads on hypermiling them. Especially the newer ones with stupidly efficient direct injection motors.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
What brake pedal?

Silver Streak-5M - '05 Toyota Corolla S
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.41 mpg (US)
How's the automatic in hilly areas? Does it hunt/downshift excessively? If not, this sounds like a great little car for the price.

Old 06-25-2020, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital rules View Post
How's the automatic in hilly areas? Does it hunt/downshift excessively? If not, this sounds like a great little car for the price.
I have limited experience driving the automatic, but the transmission seemed to be well designed, shifted fast, and didn't do anything goofy.

However, people on forums have complained of very early automatic transmission failures. So i don't think it's reasonable to recommend that.

The manual has a lot of rev hang built into the computer to reduce emissions. It's a bit annoying tbh, but the car has pretty good power and lots of low end torque, so you can easily skip gears or avoid upshifts/downshifts. I often cruise at 40mph in 6th gear, and can easily climb a moderate highway grade at 60mph ( ~2krpm ) without downshifting out of 6th.

The gearing on this car is very oriented towards fuel economy ( super putzy upper gears ) and it's wonderful because the car does not have a drone on the highway.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
What brake pedal?

Silver Streak-5M - '05 Toyota Corolla S
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.41 mpg (US)
Oops, thought you had the auto. How many RPM's does the engine turn @ 60 MPH.

I prefer stick with 4 cylinder engines as well. Just wish my car had higher hwy gearing.

Old 06-25-2020, 02:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
I have been considering a Yaris iA and the CR-Z for future cars, so it is good to see reports on them! What kind of MPG did you see with the CR-Z on the test drive? How did that compare to the iA? Any other notes on how they compare?

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...

Old 06-26-2020, 12:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 64.01 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
I've always loved the Yaris IA when it came out, sad that Toyota is cancelling it. If choosing a new car I'd be hard pressed between a Yaris and a Fit. The Fit's excessively short gearing might kill it for me if it came down to those two.

A friend of mine totaled his in an accident with a much larger SUV who was texting and driving and the passenger area held up quite well in a crash.

How's the storage space?

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
Old 06-26-2020, 01:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
You've put that Yaris on my short list. It's nice to hear there's a car out there in manual with reasonable gearing from the factory. I'd definitely go with the hatch - not sure how much that would impact highway FE.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

My '15 Mazda3 has a cd rating of 0.26, which is good for highway miles. Also good is the high gearing of the 6-speed automatic which has the engine turning at only 1670rpms at 60mph.

Most of my driving is in relatively flat plains in Louisiana, so I don't see many hills to climb. But when I do get into some hills, the auto shifts so smoothly I really can't tell its doing so unless I'm looking at the tach. The six speed auto seems well suited for the 155hp 2.0L engine to keep it in the power band.

When the OEM tires wore out, I replaced them with some 205 65R 16 Ecopias that are a little taller than the 60-aspect tires that my car came from the factory with. This slowed the RPMs by about 3% which seems to have helped the economy a bit, although I haven't had them long enough to really tell.

The Generation 3 SkyActiv Mazda automatic has an excellent reputation for efficiency and reliability. In the Mazda forums I follow, I can only remember a couple of them reported going bad, and those failed early and were replaced under warranty. Some report that their automatics have gone 200K miles without problems. That gives me some confidence.