Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2019, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Are baby boomers conspiring with Toyota to destroy the world?

Millenials hate them!

MIllenials blame baby boomers for everything they do not like. I guess that I am just old enough to not classify as a millenial (Supposedly that is anyone born after 1980, although some simply say "child of a baby boomer"). I certainly am not a baby boomer (born 1946 - 1964). I date millenials, but probably agree with baby boomers most of the time. I had time to spare, so I tried to understand the millenials' perspective. I started reading several articles and rage quit each and every one of them because the articles simply established that millenials are largely spoiled and entitled children.

They entered the workforce during the great recession. I graduated from college in 2007 with a useless degree, could not find a job, joined the Army, and paid off my loans myself.

That useless degree sure makes me sound like a millenial! However, apparently a millenial would have moved back with his parents and blamed them for ruining the economy.

Well, focusing on the great recession, regardless of who you blame, that person is probably a baby boomer. Google says that Franklin Raines is responsible for subprime mortgages. This article lists eight specific people that directly contributed to the recession and then a list of bankers that also made horrible mistakes. Five of those eight are baby boomers: https://www.theguardian.com/business...reat-recession

People like to blame the person that they dislike the most, but it sure seems like it was a perfect storm of poor decision making.

"Real estate prices will go up forever!"
"That must be true because I want it to be!"
"Here, have a mortgage! You have a good job and will make all of the payments, right? [wink wink]"
"Of course! [wink wink]"

How could that possibly go wrong?!

To my complete astonishment, after failing to find a single article that I felt was balanced and well-written, I decided to give Huffington Post a chance. I believe that I have completely avoided them for several years, but I will summarize their article with statements and responses from it:

Baby boomers are responsible for Brexit!
No, The "Remain" campaign underperformed.

Baby boomers undermined the economy!
At their age, they do not need to buy as much stuff! Besides, they are still supporting their adult children!

Baby boomers will bankrupt Social Security!
Vote for candiates and laws that will fix it!

Baby boomers ruined the environment!
Most of the people who signed the Paris Accord were baby boomers.

Baby boomers are selfish!
Why are you still living with your parents?

Did baby boomers do a worse job than previous generations? I do not know. What do you guys think?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tenor.gif
Views:	27
Size:	2.79 MB
ID:	27205  
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-18-2019, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Every generation has its share of problems to tackle, and generate the next problems.

Categorizing groups of people as good or bad is generally not a productive endeavor, and often destructive.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Xist (11-19-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
0kay, Millennial.

I'm not a Boomer, but my younger brother is. Let's just say I've seen the tides ebb and flow.

The good folks at Right Angle pointed out this morning that when surveyed, people under thirty don't know who Marx, Lenin or Mao were and estimate loss of life in the WWII at thousands to maybe a million. So don't trust anyone under thirty?

The proto-people who haven't reached majority are apparently the most conservative in generations. I talked with two grade-school kids recently and they knew all about Electric Universe. With an understanding of cl*m*t* ch*ng* and a rebellious attitude they might go far. Like Mars far.
Quote:
I do not know. What do you guys think?
We didn't start the fire....

Old 11-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
They are jealous that the boomers get free health care, a social security check and usually don't have any debt.

I am supposedly a millenial but some of these loosers were still teething when I had a drivers license, a car, a job, my first "assault rifle". So I can't identify with them and the looser talk coming out of a lot of their mouths.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Not much is as funny today as the belief in, “generations”. It’s a prime marker for stupid. One can reliably assume that, for these, tying ones shoelaces is fraught with difficulty.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Baby Boomers, milenials, generations X, Y, Z, right wings, left wings, vegans, straight, homo, siss etc... And all social media bubbles to filter between "people's brands"...

If things keep going this way, in future we will add bars code to people :

Ok, let's speak a bit more deep. I also don't like to label generations. Especially when generations are greed and selfish on label things as misfit if someone don't follow the given stupidity of a generation, a fashion of a bunch of folks.
I don't think I belong to my generation or any others. Indeed as I teen I didn't liked teens, and as a grown-up I don't like grown-ups very much.
For me all generation are stupid. Every generation that ever existed so far.

The worse thing for each generation, is that they are blind, selfish blindness better speaking... They only notice or criticize the b...llsh*t made by other generation and never the crap made by their own generation, or when next generations made a crap in worse degree.
It's a psychologic mechanism of self deffense, like pat themselves on the back, like saying they wasn't much bad at all.

Much new crap today we can blame teachers, parents and psychology field who gave them tips. They started this thing that all children would be special and that nothing is their fault and that the sexual revolution the way it was happening was okey.
Guess what, now this bunch of son of a... are telling that the such things are responsible for the generation without responsability or without sense of guilt.
I would like to hang this field... Worthless field... And the crap in the older generations are also related to the crap of this field. They have a historic of scr...up things and then later don't admit.

If you are a father or mother, remamber: You are a "Frankenstein doctor", and in most cases you create the monster (you and TV/internet). So you can't complain too much for something you created. In general, most of the creation are also present in the creator.

Last edited by All Darc; 11-19-2019 at 02:02 PM..
Old 11-19-2019, 01:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

At least barcodes are unique and not associated with other "groups" of barcodes. The proper level of analysis of anything is at the most specific level possible. For people, that is the individual.

Old 11-19-2019, 02:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
You may ask yourself, am I right, am I wrong?
You may say to yourself, my god, what have I done?
Same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was

Old 11-19-2019, 02:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

At supermarket a M&M with X-oz pack in X-flavor, it's not a individual, but a product with a given price.

There are many packs like that, all with same barcode... despite there are many products with different barcodes.
That was I mean with the barcode metaphor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
At least barcodes are unique and not associated with other "groups" of barcodes. The proper level of analysis of anything is at the most specific level possible. For people, that is the individual.
The Following User Says Thank You to All Darc For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 04:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
At supermarket a M&M with X-oz pack in X-flavor, it's not a individual, but a product with a given price.

There are many packs like that, all with same barcode... despite there are many products with different barcodes.
That was I mean with the barcode metaphor.
Ahh, that makes sense now. For some reason I was thinking in terms of how we used them in manufacturing, with every individual piece getting a unique barcode.

Reply  Post New Thread