Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #81 (permalink)
Fat free ranch for life!

Ecno-bubble - '96 Geo Metro Base
Had a sudden road trip turn up so used it as a hwy fuel economy test. 113.5 miles all freeway keeping abut 60-65 mph. 2.02 gallons of gas for an amazing 56 MPG, ladies and gentlemen, we have Booyah!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #82 (permalink)
Sippin' gasoline

ecohok 2 - '94 Volkswagen Polo Steilheck/Breadvan
That's some good BOOYAH! you have there, really nice mileage. Encouraged to press on?
The Following User Says Thank You to btracing For This Useful Post:
Ultra-Orange (02-19-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #83 (permalink)
Fat free ranch for life!

Aye. have a final goal of 70 MPG. Which is what I figure I can get away with without having to do an alt delete and/or heavy duty Pulse& gliding.

Still plan on a full underbody tray (On hold pending engine work) with integrated tire spats. Was looking at an air dam, might settle for more of a bumper-cover/Grill block. (No real grill on Geos). I've taped up about 50% of the lower grill opening on the existing bumper and I think my engine temp has actually come down. Ok, the engine temp has come down and I associate it with the grill block.

biggest issue is getting over the cars mechanical issues. Car needs an alignment, after putting in the new steering rack, the insides of the tires have started to wear. New tires, both doors, engine work (Oil leak right between the block and the head) though I might just do a top end rebuild, front and rear bumper covers are seriously beat up.

So I got lots to do, I WANT to keep on with the aero-mods but somethings take precedence.

The Mantra of the automotive modification enthusiast "Safety first, then reliability, then performance, then we meet women." (You can get men to do anything by finishing with "Then we meet women")
Old 02-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #84 (permalink)
Sippin' gasoline

ecohok 2 - '94 Volkswagen Polo Steilheck/Breadvan
Nice mantra, haha. All the work and modifications will be done on a budget, I assume? Being cost effective is part of my ecomodding quest, I'm a cheapskate :P .
Old 02-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #85 (permalink)
Fat free ranch for life!

yup yup. no big budget mods here Everything I do not only has to be cheap, but it has to pay for it self (so it has to be effective).
Old 03-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #86 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Clown Car - '92 Geo Metro Lsi
90 day: 53.59 mpg (US)
thanks for your good chronicle of Geo adventure. I hope you keep going with it. I'm also doing little things here and there to mine. Just put a set of prototype headlight covers on it. I should have waited until the summer though, as my winter mileage is a bit down. Doesn't seem to matter what I do, I go from an average of 52 mpg, down to about 46 mpg in cold weather up here in Michigan. I changed the gearbox oil to a low number synchro oil too. dangit.

I wish we could post pics of our vehicles in the garage area!
Old 03-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #87 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

This is pretty amazing!
Old 03-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #88 (permalink)
Fat free ranch for life!

Got a new job. Currently dealing with the effects of performing a physical job after about a year of sitting on my keester. down side, Physical labor, 12 hour days, work weekends. Up side. Up side, Short work week, good money

Was close to letting Actual size go. Now I have a 20 mile (each way) commute that is mostly freeway. I've been getting about 40mpg tank to tank combined driving (mostly city) with a high of 56 on a dedicated hwy test and what looked like 60 mpg on a spontanious road trip (Unfortunately I didn't fill the tank till next week and had done a ton of city driving ). Anyways. With all the freeway driving ill be doing I expect to see a rise in tank to tank mileage.

No real updates. installed a working CD player. Broke the GPS. Still planning a full belly tray but the weather is cold and wet nuking my interest in going outside and laying on the ground.

I did take her in for a front alignment. They tried to sell me a bunch of junk I didn't want. but I noted that they stated the passenger side ball-joint was bad. they quoted $110 for it. The local parts shop had one for $70, however it came with a lower control arm and front and rear control arm bushings. So effectively a front end rebuild kit for $70 (per side). So I bought one up and installed it. Took about 2 hours at my slow rambling pace. Ironically taking it apart was the easiest part. Ball-joint was loose and indeed could be moved/rattled with two fingers.

Results? Car feels less Dodgy/twitchy, steering is more precise with more road feel. downside is a noticeable increase in effort to turn the wheel. haven't done a hwy test yet. plan on installing the other side before getting tires.

If I stay at the new job then I think Ill be going with the r92s on 14" rims.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #89 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Saab EV - '19 Chevy Bolt EV LT

Pierre - '07 ZENN MC2 Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra-Orange View Post
Aye. have a final goal of 70 MPG. Still plan on a full underbody tray with integrated tire spats.
I see quotes like this quite a lot on these forums. It's certainly good to have goals. I was in the same boat, I always wanted to do a belly pan and other aero mods, but for years just never got around to it. I needed something to jump start me into action. That something turned out to be a fuel mileage competition. As far as I'm concerned there is no better inspiration than a good old fashioned competition. It brings out the best in all of us.

I can tell you that I was well rewarded with my efforts.

Mike

P.S. I've now added a '97 Metro to my stables. Time to raise the ante once again. But like you, I've got a lot of mechanical repair work to do first. Too bad we can't buy these Metros new any more.
Ultra-Orange (03-22-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #90 (permalink)
Fat free ranch for life!

Love to join a fuel mileage competition! Win loose or draw it would just be tons of fun! (Don't figure id be that competitive anywho) Haven't heard of anything in my area. Anyone knows of anything in the N Oregon S Washington area let me know!

On that note. I don't foresee a belly-pan going on until weather improves (Some months off no doubt) So I'm thinking about ye auld Home depot lawn edging air dam and side skirts.

Weekend update. Mixed tank including the new commute for this week was 45MPG with a total fuel cost of $20.22 for the week. This doesn't include the new control-arm, ball-join, bushings and there is a definite difference in coast ups-downs, and just at cruise throttle, I expect next week the numbers will improve.

Reply  Post New Thread