Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #311 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Me too! I might see you there.

What would happen if you put your rig on the end of a tow strap behind another vehicle; incorporating a spring scale at the attachment point, with a webcam or periscope pointed at it? All the tow vehicle driver would have to do is pull.
Actually the big dogs used to do such a thing,but inside what they called a 'shrouding trailer.'
This fully-enclosed trailer had an open bottom with rubber skirting all around and the towed vehicle inside was connected by only a strain-gauge.
With the trailer shielding all the air from the test vehicle,only the rolling-resistance of tires and differential would be measured,then later,the already known driveline loss could be deducted,leaving the R-R profile at any speed of interest.
I'd have only deceleration profiles from which to compare,but it would be way out ahead of nothing.
A BUB motorcycle guy I hung out with said his Harley really suffered speed loss on the salt,compared with the interstate.
If I GOOGLE around I find anectdotal comments about R-R on and off the salt,but no real quanta.
Jeff Mcvey's normally-aspirated Mazda 3 lost 13% top speed,from 130 mph,to 113.
Sarah Curtis's 139 mph Mini Cooper could barely squeek up 130 mph after icing down the turbocharger inter-cooler.A 6.4% speed loss.
I was happy to see a speed increase,from 96(on pavement at sea level) to 105.
If the 'stock' T-100 had been run,it might have had a speed as low as 83 mph due to the damp salt conditions.If so,that would be a 26% velocity improvement for the 'streamliner'(and not yet to terminal velocity).
You hear about 'good years' and' bad years' at Bonneville.I think 2012 will score pretty low.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #312 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
I'm of the opinion that we just don't have the power-to-weight ratio to learn what we need from Bonneville...If you have a good baseline,I think we'll be able to figure your new Cd from your MPG data...I'm gonna try for the A2 Wind Tunnel in late August/early September and see what their load cells say.
This is what I was responding to; but I thought the RR would simply be estimated. This suggests an A-B test that would quantify both.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #313 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
estimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
This is what I was responding to; but I thought the RR would simply be estimated. This suggests an A-B test that would quantify both.
With a large database baseline we'd know the mpg at a given velocity with Volkswagen's original configuration.
With SAE Paper# 649A,from Kelley & Holcombe of GM,if the only variable is the Rabbit's shape,the Rolling-Resistance portion will be embedded within the relationship,and with the new mpg,the new Cd will fall out of the equation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the weight has been altered,Ricardo Associates Inc. has some pretty current mpg penalty as a function of weight addition curves we can use to adjust the Cd.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coastdown tests could tell us as much as a wind tunnel,however,so far,we've yet to take on the data acquisition and mathematical rigor necessary to make a proper go of it.It's beyond my capabilities.