Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #291 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
A car in the 39hp Challenge.
Well maybe...if 6 was 9 [cue Hendrix guitar riff]

I guess it wouldn't fit the classes for the 36hp Challenge, but I estimate that if someone gutted a Prius and put a 36 hp VW engine in the back it would get ~45 mpg. The Beetle has a Cd of .41 and the Prius .26 (similar frontal area and less weight w/o the batteries).

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #292 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

FrankenJetta D - '90 Volkswagen Jetta GL
Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 64.35 mpg (US)
Awesome pics! Thanks for posting them. Highest temp in my car on the trip was 107. Last night it was 56 here. Little system shock. Definitely missed a good one, I did.

Side note- I'm looking into this run for next year as a pre-Bonneville run. It's WAY closer to me here, and actually where I'm from. Price is about the same for the "street" class and would give a good comparison between the two. Lot of time between then and now, though.

Keep posting those pics!

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
How to gently bump start during EOC
Old 09-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #293 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 47.95 mpg (US)
I've never seen that front end of Phil's truck before, damn thats cool!
Old 09-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #294 (permalink)
Master Ecomadman

sc1 - '98 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 43.17 mpg (US)

Airplane Bike - '11 home built Carp line Tour

rans - '97 rans tailwind

tractor - '66 International Cub cadet 129

2002 Space Odyssey - '02 Honda Odyssey EX-L
90 day: 28.25 mpg (US)

red bug - '00 VW beetle TDI

big tractor - '66 ford 3400

red vw - '00 VW new beetle TDI
90 day: 58.42 mpg (US)

RV - '88 Winnebago LeSharo
90 day: 16.67 mpg (US)
recumbent

Hi Ken,

These are some write ups on some bikes that I built, also much info in the WISIL site. The Battle Mountain world speed challenge is under way in Nevada also:

crazyguyonabike.com: Author Info: Anthony Levand

The Recumbent & HPV Information Center

The Following User Says Thank You to arcosine For This Useful Post:
JethroBodine (09-14-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #295 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
Hey, if something didn't break it wouldn't be a VW!
You don't know how true that statement is, Sven!

Hmmm.... let's see...

1) I spent most of Saturday afternoon re-enginnering the shift mechanism in Britt Grannis' Karmann Ghia. The 1970 had been an autostick, recently and hastily converted to a 4spd. It wouldn't go into 2nd or 4th. After one of our crew guy futst and fiddled with the shifter adjustment for an hour, I jumped in. The first fix attempt at drilling a new hole in the selector rod was a pitiful disaster on my part. Right idea, but no center punch, wrong drill size... basically the wrong tools for the job, with the roll cage in the way, and an impatient owner looking over our shoulders and offering 'encouragement'... yeah, that's the word I was looking for. . Fix #2 wasn't up to the car owner's forearm strength, he pulled the shift coupler right off the selector shaft while trying to shift into 2nd gear out on the race course. Fix #3 (not my idea) was a hail Mary and miserable failure. I showed up just as they were drawing straws for who has the best welding skills of the bunch. I won by default. Hmmmm... Welding Chinese cast steel with an unfamiliar flux core welder, driven by a dinky 2KW portable generator, with eyes protected by a non-working (and filthy) auto-darkening welding helmet? Seriously? Not even a magician can make chicken soup from chicken $hit. The owner threw in the towel and walked away. Fix #4, my design, 100% my work, worked flawlessly all weekend. Sometimes 'teamwork' isn't all it's cracked up to be

2) After having the driver chores turned over to me (the owner doesn't work or race on Sunday), after my making a 150.34 mph, then a 149.69mph blast down the 2 mile course, the engine went sour. I aborted pass #3 when it would run on more than 3-1/2 cylinders. Rather than risk hurting it, I shut it off and took the 1 mile turnout. Back to the pits where we took everything apart, pulled jets, plugs, valve covers, removed the 1970 fuel tank to gain access to the -8 AN fuel filter, strained the race gas through a shop rag. Did not find the proverbial 'smoking gun' I was looking for... The air had gotten worse, so I changed the main and air corrector jets to leaner. Also removed the rear spoiler, thinking the added down force was giving the car more stability at speed, but may be costing us the couple MPH I needed to back up the 150 pass. While waiting... and waiting in the staging lanes, I grabbed some Gorilla duct tape, and closed off the factory Ghia fresh air intakes, and increased the rear tire pressure to 50psi. Before we could make another attempt, the Sunday afternoon rain started

3) Not sure how the weather would hold later in the day Monday, and wanting desperately to back up my 150mph pass, the decision was made to also remove the front and rear bumpers, before heading to the staging lanes for a Monday am, cool air pass. I had the engine was 'set on kill', Lean and Mean as I like to say. Sounded crisp, good idle, the dual Weber 48 IDA's had their signature 'bark' and engine a snappy throttle response. Aerodynamically it was 'cleaner' than it had ever been. I figured it was going to be fast, but might be a handful to drive. Lack of crosswinds were certainly in my favor.

As I left the starting line hard, trying to take every advantage of the now grippy salt, I had to modulate the throttle a little to keep from spinning the tires too much in 1st and 2nd gears. The 2332cc VW engine was puting out some power, now! At the 3/4 mile mark, already going a buck-thirty, I heard this 'bang'.

Startled a little, I kept my foot in it, looking out the rear view mirror for smoke, flinging shreaded tire rubber, checking the oil pressure gauge, then my mirror again. It was the second mirror check when I realized what was happening, as I saw the deck lid slooooowly lift, then slam shut again with a big bam! Now sans spoiler, the rear deck lid lifted, then snapped shut like some angry German crocodile! Now up to 144 and exiting the 1 mile timing/speed trap flags, I had a good feeling. OK, except for the deck lid, that now made the rear end wiggle as it slammed shut, 3-4 more times. Knowing what the slamming and banging was, I chose to keep my foot buried to the wood, and focus 100% on my driving <a good choice at those speeds, don't ya think?> and keeping it going in a straight line.

I entered the 2mile speed trap, glancing at the GPS and oil pressure, "over 150... YES!" I think I yelled in my helmet. If I didn't yell it, I thought it, REALLY, REALLY LOUD! After the end of the 2mile speed trap,1320ft long, I glanced at the GPS again as I shut off the ignition and fuel pump toggle switches. 157 was the max MPH registered for that pass!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to metromizer For This Useful Post:
2000neon (09-13-2012), aerohead (09-24-2012), brucepick (09-14-2012), California98Civic (09-13-2012), Cd (09-13-2012), COcyclist (09-13-2012), JethroBodine (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #296 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

FrankenJetta D - '90 Volkswagen Jetta GL
Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 64.35 mpg (US)
Congrats on the 150 Club runs!!

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
How to gently bump start during EOC
Old 09-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #297 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Cool story.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #298 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 47.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post

Did he not run with the front wheel skirts?
Old 09-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #299 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000neon View Post
Did he not run with the front wheel skirts?
I did have a chance to talk with a couple ecomodders that made it out to WOS: James (and his daughter) and T100 truck Phil. Good to talk with you guys, glad you had a good time!

Phil told me he just plain ran out of time and energy working on the truck for Bonneville. He had the one skirt on the driver's side finished, but not the passenger side!
Old 09-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #300 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroBodine View Post
Congrats on the 150 Club runs!!
Thanks! Sorry you couldn't be there, glad you made it home safe and sound. Send me a PM on those injectors.

Getting into the USFRA's 150mph Club is definitely one of this season's highlights for me. To be the first ever to get into the 150 Club with an air-cooled VW, makes it that much sweeter!

A bit of irony: My Gal, Kari, missed co-hosting her radio show called Sustainable Life to take this trip with me. We tease each other back and forth about being yin~yang, my racing, her eco-friendly show premise. I had to remind her that after all, we DID drive to Utah/Bonneville in my 3cylinder Metro, and spent the 2 preceding days backpacking in the Sierra-Nevada mountains! Even with the non-eco racing, Al Gore only dreams of having made such a small eco-footprint for 6 days of existence

Reply  Post New Thread