Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #51 (permalink)
Burn lean and prosper\\//

VLX - '93 Honda Civic VLX
Team Honda
90 day: 51.1 mpg (US)
The right punch and confident, firm strikes with a hammer. Tough to do on the ground:/

The Following User Says Thank You to slownugly For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (03-24-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #52 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rusty crusty trusty - '94 Honda Civic Cx
90 day: 36.13 mpg (US)

Vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)
Another method is to try to use a vise or c clamp lots of lube. Or as stated hammer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty94cx For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (03-24-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #53 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
B*tch Pin and drive axles

The pin is in, and it was "easy" with a method I devised. I got a nail that could thread through tube/pin with room to spare and a head large enough to cover the tube/pin's opening. I inserted that from the bottom. The nail poked out the top of the shifter linkage about an inch. I stabbed a small piece of wine cork onto the top of the nail so the pin/tube could be held in place hands-free. Then I wacked it good and hard a bunch of times, and inside about 2 minutes, the nail had dropped to the ground as the cork came off and the pin had slid into place.

Then the drive axles would not go in due to the dry dry condition of the insert spot on the CX transmission. I greased it, cleaned out the area with a tooth brush, and called my auto parts store to ask them to check if the DX drive axles fit the CX (they do). No luck. So I hit the whole insert area with WD-40 and have resolved to let it loosen the crud overnight. I ride the bus to work tomorrow and try again in the evening.

Damn, I hope this transmission is the solution to the bearing noise!!
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #54 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Damn, I hope this transmission is the solution to the bearing noise!!
I finished, and it did not solve the bearing noise problem! Hahahahahahaha!! Everything is hooked up, and the car runs--with some way wicked tall gearing. Some kinks: the VSS and backup light sensors are not working right now, probably just problems with the connectors. I hope all else keeps working well.

EDIT: I got the VSS and the brake light sensors working, though the speedo is a little jumpy sometimes.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 03-25-2013 at 10:57 PM..
Old 03-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #55 (permalink)

Team Honda
Dang. Any luck figuring out the other bearing noise?
Old 03-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #56 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownugly View Post
Dang. Any luck figuring out the other bearing noise?
Next, I'll do the test you described. The Hub Bearing Units become the number one suspect again. The car does seem to be coasting better, though that could be confirmation bias of the conclusion I desire. But there were other bearing noises I heard from the old transmission, that seemed to be coming from the throwout and ISB, and that are now gone because of the new throwout bearing and the newer ISB in the CX transmission. So this was another moment of good preventative maintenance. The original DX transmission has more than 200,000 miles on it, and now I get to rebuild it, sell it, or use it in the future.

Back to testing the hubs in the way you describe and by observing how well the wheels freewheel when up on jack stands.

I'll report back...

Last edited by California98Civic; 04-13-2013 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: typos and clarity
Old 03-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #57 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Slownugly's hub bearing test works

Quote:
Yea several bearing noises at the same time are tough to nail down.
After the clutch is done and you drive it, if it has the symptoms that I described ( gets louder or quieter if you turn the wheel slightly in either direction at higher speeds) then to figure out what side it is do the following. This can apply to most any car or suspension type on the road today.

1. Jack front of vehicle up so both wheels are off te ground
2. Start at drivers side and put one hand on the coil spring. With the other spin the wheel FORWARD.
3. Use your hand on the spring to feel for vibration while making sure not to touch the wheel while spinning so it doesn't cause a false vibration. - might be easier to put the car in neutral.
4. Do the same to the passenger side. Whichever one has the noticeable rumbling is the bad one.

The nature of the spring allows it to show the bearing rumble like a magnifying glass as compared to grabbing the spindle or strut. This works on 95% of vehicle out there. On a vehicle with torsion bar suspension it easy. The torsion bar is the spring in the suspension so grab the torsion bar. Sometime on very minute ones it's hard to feel I close my eyes to take one sense out of the procedure and allows me to concentrate on my feeling in my hands. Or get my dad to spin the wheel an close my eyes.
Well well well, that test was pretty interesting. The driver side wheel vibrated quite notably in the spring, even made a odd and new clicking kind of sound once or twice. The passenger side made no vibrations in the spring, and no odd noises. Smooth.

So the driver side front hub bearing unit, huh? Amazingly, that item was one of my original suspects.

Thanks. I had a little trouble with the driver side axle seal anyway. It is leaking tranny oil slightly. So I need to go back in... will do both jobs.

james

Old 03-31-2013, 09:35 PM   #58 (permalink)

Team Honda
Yupper. Pretty neat test right. Glad it worked out. To do the bearing the whole spindle has to come off and the bearing must be pressed out and in. You can just take the spindle to a machine shop or auto shop to have that done if you don't have a press
Old 04-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #59 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Yupper. Pretty neat test right. Glad it worked out. To do the bearing the whole spindle has to come off and the bearing must be pressed out and in. You can just take the spindle to a machine shop or auto shop to have that done if you don't have a press
Here is a pretty good write-up over at honda-tech... what do you think? Would pressing the unit in place in this way be a bad idea likely to damage the unit?
Honda-Tech - View Single Post - Front Wheel Bearing Replacement with Harbor Freight Tool Set 66829

Old 04-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #60 (permalink)

Team Honda
That's not a bad way to do it. Just have to make sure ur pressing the right surfaces for each step. And weigh out the costs too. You have a 90$ investment but you can do others in the future or have someone press it in for you for less than 30.

Reply  Post New Thread