Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 07:19 PM   #121 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

On ebay there is a place called Surplus Center. I have seen various diesel engines there. 10-20 HP water cooled. New or take-offs. If it helps it could be real good for your vehical.

Best Regards, Daivd K

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-06-2009, 12:02 AM   #122 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I'm doing this same thing now. I'm sure I'm not doing it right but I'm starting with months of research as to what design shape will work the best. Then I find what powertrain I can fit in it. Next I look for how to power it. Lastly I try to make it look as nice as I can while still being aerodynamic.

Currently I'm working on a reverse trike that is all electric with a motorcycle transmission and low weight. Should be good for performance/range/handling while still being enviro-friendly.

That's the dream anyway.....
Old 05-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #123 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggle.pants View Post
On ebay there is a place called Surplus Center. I have seen various diesel engines there. 10-20 HP water cooled. New or take-offs. If it helps it could be real good for your vehical.

Best Regards, Daivd K
I've been buying from the Surplus Center for years, but thanks for the info. Just recently noticed they are selling on Ebay as well.

I posted on the XR3 yahoo group about the Kubota D902 engine that is available from Surplus Center. $1,899, which is about $1,500 cheaper than I've found anywhere else.

Michael
Old 05-06-2009, 09:21 AM   #124 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Frenzy View Post
I'm doing this same thing now. I'm sure I'm not doing it right but I'm starting with months of research as to what design shape will work the best. Then I find what powertrain I can fit in it. Next I look for how to power it. Lastly I try to make it look as nice as I can while still being aerodynamic.

Currently I'm working on a reverse trike that is all electric with a motorcycle transmission and low weight. Should be good for performance/range/handling while still being enviro-friendly.

That's the dream anyway.....
I don't know your ability at automotive design is, but have you looked at both the XR3 and the Locost vehicles? You can use parts of them as building blocks in your design. The Locost is a Lotus 7 knockoff. The two books Build your own Sports Car on a Budget, and How to Build a Cheap Sports Car have the plans and construction information. If nothing else, it will give you a well planned front end that is being used on high performance cars.

The XR3 is more robust of a design, I believe. Its also set up as a front wheel drive diesel, or rear wheel drive electric.

If you take the front end from either of these (probably the Locost) and mate it with the rear wheel of a motorcycle, you would have your suspension/steering design done. As long as weight/braking ratios are kept in line, I think you would have a decently handling vehicle. Combine that with the one-off fiberglass body technique of the XR3, and I think you would have a winner.

If you are a professional designer, or already know how to design a good handling vehicle already, then never mind.

Michael
Old 05-06-2009, 02:26 PM   #125 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I'm pretty solid on simple chassis design as I used to build and race custom go-karts. I'd love to just purchase a rolling XR3 chassis but that's not an option currently. I feel confident to build my own chassis but have NO idea (or confidence) on how to build the fiberglass body structure.

I'm not interested in spending the money on the materials for what my end result would likely be.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:35 PM   #126 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Frenzy View Post
I'm pretty solid on simple chassis design as I used to build and race custom go-karts. I'd love to just purchase a rolling XR3 chassis but that's not an option currently. I feel confident to build my own chassis but have NO idea (or confidence) on how to build the fiberglass body structure.

I'm not interested in spending the money on the materials for what my end result would likely be.
Take a look at this link. Fiberglass body construction isn't simple, but its not that terribly difficult, either. I suggest finding some small strangely shaped item your interested in making, and try the fiberglass over foam construction method. Even a square cooler will let you get an idea of how hard it is. Total cost could be less than $50. Just remember, EPS (extruded polystyrene) foam... the pink or blue insulation at Home Depot doesn't mix with automotive polystyrene resin. You need to use epoxy resin, at least for the first coat.

Another interesting site is BMW's shapeshifting car. I wouldn't use spandex to make the body, but it shows how you could do a tube frame/fabric covered body like old time airplanes had. Dacron fabric, and aircraft dope, then a UV proof paint.

Good luck on whatever you come up with.

Michael
Old 05-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #127 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
If you want to put polyester over epoxy, you probably want System Three SB-112 epoxy, to get a good bond. I use it to seal rust on car bodies, before bondo.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:12 AM   #128 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

My scratch built would be based on Locost plans, but with a modified frame to take an electric motor and batteries. The frame would be aluminium to save weight, with a custom fibreglass body with faired in rear wheels and a more traditional coupe look rather than the tub of the original Lotus. In my EV case, the motor would be longitudinally mounted in he rear of the transmission tunnel, directly coupled to a diff from a small car such as the MX5 (Miata). Fairly skinny wheels and tyres, low weight, small frontal area (low rather than narrow) would all contribute to better mpg. Although my plan would be for an EV, all the above would apply equally well to a diesel engined version.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #129 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
I like the locost ideas as well. They are well supported by fellow builders and suspension design is pretty well documented. There are some licensing issues in certain states, but the biggest thing for me is ease of construction. Not that I don't want to cut and weld my way to my dream car, I just don't have the time and developed enough skill in some areas to actually accomplish it.

If we could pillage nearly all parts from existing vehicles, assembly, cost and time would be greatly reduced, improving accessibility for those of us who want to build. The great kit car industry boomed on the VW bug platform to ply a whole market of variants. Too bad we can't see our way to use Metros, Miatas, Fieros or somesuch to easily base the project. These unibody structures have thier modification flexibility limits.

The XR-3 is a really great idea. I really like the use of foam/fiberglass structure for crash resistance and rigidity, 3 wheeler licensing is easier in most states and the front engine placement makes a natural teardrop shape with good weight distribution. Just too much fabrication on this variant for me though!

While hybrid is a neat idea, a simple small power plant is what I'm looking for. A ~1L BMW boxer motorycycle engine seems like a potentially excellent engine for this. Just maybe BMW will make a diesel variant of this classic motor layout - could bring back some of it's charachter!

Just my random thoughts.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #130 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
My two options. Neither are really possible.

Option 1:
Car that weighed 1000 pounds or less, 2 or 4 cylinder engine (for balance) possibly 2 stroke engine (not sure about that) that made it's power below 4k. CVT transmission with tires capable of holding 150+ psi. It would have to have a super low drag cf and would have every pump electric and super light mag rims with moon type surfaces. The driver and the passenger should sit back to back (with the "trunk" between them) in the front while the engine and trans rode along in the back. It would be as long as it took to get a perfect aero shape at 55mph but super short. The rear view mirrors would be cameras and it would have a true instant MPG reading in the dash.

Option 2:
Electric or 2stroke inside of those bikes they break land speed records with, hooked to a CVT. The entire thing would be scaled up to fit two people but with no cargo room.

Reply  Post New Thread