Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2023, 01:11 PM   #31 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed
 
Piotrsko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 1826 miles WSW of Normal
Posts: 3,371
Thanks: 387
Thanked 975 Times in 858 Posts
Both my kids gave me "were going to die" grief about learning stick. Both now thank me. Also might want to find out about the skid pad training that is around.

__________________
casual notes from the underground:There are some "experts" out there that in reality don't have a clue as to what they are doing.
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 01-15-2023, 12:17 AM   #32 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist
 
redpoint5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,071

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 28.24 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 25.39 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanks: 3,775
Thanked 4,095 Times in 3,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Both my kids gave me "were going to die" grief about learning stick. Both now thank me. Also might want to find out about the skid pad training that is around.
I had a (girl) friend (I know my own rule about girls who are friends, my best friend ended up marrying her) who was on the college volleyball team. Her identical twin friends were in what I considered at the time to be a super luxurious Acura, and when they saw me shifting it, they said "weird". They were the weird ones, being 6' tall identical twins.

My point, if I have any, is that these folk who were probably 6 years younger than me considered manual transmissions "weird". I'm 41, so that means 35 year olds think manuals are weird. Figures, they can't remember not having internet.
__________________
Gas and Electric Vehicle Cost of Ownership Calculator







Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 01:02 AM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 24,807
Thanks: 7,024
Thanked 7,904 Times in 6,468 Posts
Quote:
They were the weird ones, being 6' tall identical twins
Go on....

Quote:
they can't remember not having internet.
I can remember not having a transistor radio. [six-tube superheterodyne] Ontopic: I remember not having syncromesh on first.
__________________
.
.

Without freedom of speech we wouldn't know who all the idiots are. -- anonymous poster

____________________

Back in my day there was so much toilet paper and eggs that we would throw them at the houses of our enemies

____________________
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Ecky (01-18-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 12:32 AM   #34 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel
 
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Posts: 11,573
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,459 Times in 1,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
My point, if I have any, is that these folk who were probably 6 years younger than me considered manual transmissions "weird". I'm 41, so that means 35 year olds think manuals are weird. Figures, they can't remember not having internet.
In my country, the driver licensing test is done with manual transmission, unless the car is adapted for disabled drivers (actually some cars adapted for disabled drivers here are still fitted with manual transmission). Odd enough, the manual transmission is no longer available for some cars locally, even though it's often still found on export-bound versions...
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
JDaly (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 12:55 AM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Noob
 
Christian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Canada
Posts: 45

City Civic - '02 Honda Civic Coupe LX
Team Honda
90 day: 26.96 mpg (US)
Thanks: 28
Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
In my country, the driver licensing test is done with manual transmission, unless the car is adapted for disabled drivers (actually some cars adapted for disabled drivers here are still fitted with manual transmission). Odd enough, the manual transmission is no longer available for some cars locally, even though it's often still found on export-bound versions...
Are you in Europe? Here in Canada there is no distinction between a manual or automatic driver's license.

I did my driver's test at 16-17 in an automatic car, and about 2 years later I bought a car with a manual transmission. As you can expect, there were some hiccups along the way, but I always thought it was weird that I didn't need to get tested in a manual transmission car. Can't say I got into any crazy situations though, mainly just awkwardly stalling when the light went green and pissing off other motorists (unintentionally).
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 01:27 AM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 24,807
Thanks: 7,024
Thanked 7,904 Times in 6,468 Posts
Quote:
Are you in Europe?
His location is listed directly below his join date.
__________________
.
.

Without freedom of speech we wouldn't know who all the idiots are. -- anonymous poster

____________________

Back in my day there was so much toilet paper and eggs that we would throw them at the houses of our enemies

____________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 05:36 AM   #37 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel
 
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Posts: 11,573
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,459 Times in 1,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
Are you in Europe?
Sometimes I wish I was there...


Quote:
I did my driver's test at 16-17 in an automatic car, and about 2 years later I bought a car with a manual transmission. As you can expect, there were some hiccups along the way, but I always thought it was weird that I didn't need to get tested in a manual transmission car.
Nowadays even in Brazil, where automatics are having a considerable increase to their market share, I guess in a few years there will be novice drivers who will only have to drive a manual for the driving test and never will do it again. Sure a restricted driver license would be a PITA while renting a car in Europe on vacations, but I would be favorable if automatic-only licenses were available for the average Joe here instead of being issued only to some drivers with a disability. On a sidenote, yesterday I saw a guy with bum legs who has to walk with crutches driving a car with manual transmission, yet most likely his car had a vacuum-operated automated clutch which used to be quite common in cars adapted for disabled drivers here.

  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
Christian (02-01-2023)
Reply  Post New Thread


Tags
cafe, emissions, exhaust, legislation

Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com