Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2008, 03:43 AM   #31 (permalink)
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arminius View Post
I work 80+ hours a week 9 months out of the year, and about 50 the remaining 3.
Wow. If you don't mind me asking, why do you work so much and what is your motivation for doing so? I'd imagine the cost/benefit ratio starts to taper off at about $120,000. My immediate guess is that you are a business owner or self-employed, which should mean working is fun, right...

Knowing that you work 16+ hour days kind of puts your effort here on EM into perspective. I feel like acknowledging the time you spend here.

- LostCause

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Smile Safety is not to be overlooked in hybrid choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I agree. I'd pick the Prius in a heartbeat based on those reasons, and because it's a more versatile cargo hauler (not to mention has much better fuel economy potential).

But my sis & bro-in-law bought their Camry hybrid over the Prius because it's got more airbags (and stability control?). Safety was their thing.
I just went through a horrific accident in a 1999 Honda Accord in April 2012. I was cut out by Smyrna GA fire and EMS and only woke up in the Kennestone GA Trauma Center. Though I was in a lot of pain with many injuries, I lived no thanks to Honda. The Accord steering wheel airbag failed to activate. the other airbags all went off. The Honda seat belt snapped my shoulder bone which meant I had to have an aluminum plate screwed into my shoulder to hold it together. I am still healing two months later.

We looked at many replacement cars and choices including the Prius.
My wife hated the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid due to poor engineering choices she quickly picked up on. Many of the 2012 cars have very bad blind spots for a short person due to the redesign now mandated for thicker pillars to protect occupants in a rollover accident.

Looking at the 2012 Prius gives one the impression you are giving up a lot of safety for a compact hyper mileage car. The Camry 2012 Hybrid doesn't give you that impression. It is heavier, quieter, has far more power, carries five in more comfort than the Prius while sacrificing just a little in EPA MPG.

To us it was a no brainer to select the safer car. There are now a boatload of new safety features in the high tech Camry Hybrid that didn't even exist in 1999. Since we went with a high end XLS we have most of the latest features.

We also went with the Blizzard White as it was mentioned as being a highly visible color which enhanced safety. I would have preferred Bright Orange or High Visibility Green but White will do since it rejects a lot of heat here in the South.

--

I was surprised to notice I do not have an electrical or temperature gauge in the Camry Hybrid.

I dropped by this site looking for information on the ScanGauge 2
and the desirability of mounting one above the Camry review mirror with a Blend Mount adapter. Has anyone else that is using this forum done that?

How well does the ScanGauge 2 work with the Camry 2012 Hybrid?

Would you buy one?

Thanks in advance for any observations.

Reply  Post New Thread