Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

moby van - '03 Dodge Caravan SE
90 day: 19.74 mpg (US)
Caravan alternator underdrive

Are there any Mopar guys out there that know if there is a larger alternator pulley that will fit my 3.3 motor?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-19-2009, 07:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
The only ones that I know of that might fit are 3.0TT pulleys... I don't think anyone made one for the 3.3, but you can probably get one milled pretty cheaply, too. (~$100, unless you have a lathe and know how to use it, then whatever the 5" stock costs)

Alternatively, you could build a bolt-together pulley using an old OEM one that you can get from just about any junkyard.

Doing this would also give you the option to delete the second belt on your pulley, which drives the PS pump, IIRC.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I am only familiar with Delco alternators. Does this pulley press on like the delco? I can't tell from looking at it. I do have a lathe but trying for a press fit would be difficult. There is no second belt on this pulley, only some kind of plastic cap which keeps me from seeing how it is attached.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Do you want an engine pulley or an alternator pulley? If you just want an alternator pulley, I believe one from a Neon will fit. (I think they're the same shaft diameter.)

I'll check later when I check out my van (tomorrow) to see how the pulley is attached on the alternator. The one on the engine should just be bolted on (but you'll need a 2 jaw puller to get it off).

Old 06-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Your reply reminded me that the underdrive pulleys I have bought have come in sets. I had just been thinking of the alternator pulley.
How much diference is there between the Caravan pulley and the Neon pulley? Do you think there is enough meat on the factory crank pulley so it's OD can be reduced? Any reducton of this pulley will affect all belt driven accessories.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by micondie View Post
Your reply reminded me that the underdrive pulleys I have bought have come in sets. I had just been thinking of the alternator pulley.
How much diference is there between the Caravan pulley and the Neon pulley? Do you think there is enough meat on the factory crank pulley so it's OD can be reduced? Any reducton of this pulley will affect all belt driven accessories.
I don't know about on a 3.3, on my 2.4, no. The pulley is also a harmonic balancer, so it's a steel donut held to a cast iron hub by a rubber ring. Garbage, but it works for OEM.

If yours is just steel, you could probably shave about 4mm from your pulley total (2mm from each side) with a lathe, but if you're doing a serpentine pulley, get a few cutting tools and put them together so that they match the profile of the pulley, so you don't have so much trouble re-cutting the grooves for the belt. The grooves can be no more than something like 2mm tall, else they cut into the belt. (It might even be smaller than that, Im going from memory from several years ago.)

Thinking about it, the Neon's pulley won't work for you, because it's an inverted 2.4 Caravan pulley.

You might try the pulley from an Intrepid, or a 3.0 Stratus R/T.

Other than that, check out eBay. 3.0TT pulleys are all over for less than $100.

Of course, if you have lathe skills, you could make one from dense plastic that would be lighter and still underdrive your accessories. (I've used plastic pulleys, but I don't remember what plastic to use... I just know it's really hard stuff. Maybe you could use Nylon? It has a lubricating effect, though, which might not be a good idea b/c it could cause slippage.)

Old 06-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I checked my 3.3 and it too has a harmonic balancer like your 2.4 so I think I am out of luck there. I have never seen underdrive pulleys listed for the 3.3. as for the alternator, I think that any car (not just Mopar) with a Denso alternator would be a likely candidate for a pulley. I think Denso makes parts for just about everybody. I think I have a Denso made racing starter for my small block chevy.

Reply  Post New Thread