Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2023, 05:39 PM   #181 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfdesigner View Post
E-Class Mercedes 1996-2002.. probably best to add the chassis designation to all merc vehicles, W210 is the 'E-class 1996-2002'.. of which some estates came out in 2003!.. I even have a manual for this series which claims some cars were still produced in 2006.. so best to go for the chassis designation.

The follow on E-Class is the W211, and the latest is the W212. The classic boxy predecessor upon which so much of the mercedes legend is based is the W124 (I had one.. I've never owned or driven a better car, the W210 is not a patch on it), preceeded by the W123. (try typing W124 or R129 etc. into google and you'll get pictures of the relevant cars on the first page)

They produced a W210 estate/station wagon, which I believe has a Cd of 0.30 practically identical frontal dimentions (I own one).. sometimes referred to as the S210.. although my chassis number actually starts WDB 210, just like the saloons.

good wiki

Derek
I agree. My recent research elsewhere from numerous sources on a 1995 Mercedes 600SL W129 I am acquiring next week, indicates a cd of mostly .34, and sometimes .32, I believe the difference may be accounted for by the use of the fabric convertible roof vs the removeable hardtop. The two main sources mentioned so far on this thread state a cd of .29 and .45? The lower number I can't explain, the higher number may be with no roof in place and the likely high drag(?) rollbar in the up position.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-19-2023, 05:54 PM   #182 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I have recently acquired a 40' school bus and am converting it into an internal car hauler/RV. It is shaped like a brick. I'm toying with the idea of adding an eyebrow front wind shaper and an aero tail, I have hit a dead-end getting the State of Florida to offer some clarification on what is "approved", by way of many calls, emails, etc. Also understand buses/RV are regulated as to length under straight truck regulations, as per statue.

Here is my last inquiry:

"Fla Statue 316.515.3(a) Straight Trucks-- A straight truck may not exceed a length of 40 feet in extreme overall dimension, exclusive of safety and energy conservation devices approved by the department for use on vehicles using public roads."

I need some guidance on the above. I have been unable to resolve this thru online research. No selections are offered to address this question by telephone it seems. Tallahassee suggested I contact the Palmetto DMV office which I did.

Palmetto suggested I send an email here with my question(s):

What is the criteria for the above noted approval?
Is this written/codified?
How does one acquire this approval?
Is there a list of already approved department "energy conservation devices"?
If so, how can I get a copy of this list?"

All I hear is crickets.
Guess I will have to learn to live with my .88cd.

Last edited by j-c-c; 10-19-2023 at 06:07 PM..
Old 10-19-2023, 06:17 PM   #183 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,816 Times in 7,273 Posts
Quote:
I have recently acquired a 40' school bus and am converting into an internal car hauler/RV.
Cool.

Blunt nose pusher? That makes a difference.

There was a local bus in the 1970s called Ft. Home, that had the last 6-8ft cut down to the bottom of the windows. With an added back door.

Ignore the Template, follow Mair, the torpedo guy. Shrink the back face to the size of whatever car or UTV or whatever. Here's my design for a school bus/RV:

From about 1970. I'm not nomadic.

Old 10-19-2023, 08:46 PM   #184 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

So let me ask this question. Say the pictured van you shared here was the states max length, and your state like Fla exempted aero devices in that measurement, would it say be illegal to attach to the back outside of the van a spare tire, making the van without an attached aero device, illegal by being a foot? longer, but also legal with the aero device?
Old 10-19-2023, 09:11 PM   #185 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

There are examples on this site of an hitch-mounted cargo box, that serve that double duty. You're legislation may vary.

If it is already at max length, to work within the existing volume, you might chamfer the front corners like a Cybertruck, and make the rear extension a retractable base plate. see Morelli FIAT [citation needed]

Old 10-19-2023, 09:52 PM   #186 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Well, I'm hoping that they take the measurement for overall length from the intersection of the aero device and the body and ignore anything that might protrude slightly inside the aero device, besides, it's hard to follow guidelines they choose not to define.
Only realistic aero I can do on the front, its a flat front bus, is a what I term an eyebrow deflector to gently redirect all the air I can over the roof that stacks up on the very large flat upright full width windshield.
Old 10-19-2023, 10:36 PM   #187 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The visor/deflector is not the prefered solution, although European trucks use them in the front corners. Stuff the wake:

Trends in bus aerodynamics

Note also the mirrors.

Old 10-20-2023, 12:42 AM   #188 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm pretty sure that bulged roof (which is gorgeous) is mainly just an aero solution, as I see no real use space wise for any good utilization on that increase in internal volume it offers. That bus's front has likely half the drag my bus is pushing down the road.
I do have one small advantage I believe; I have a front engine and cooling intake dead center. The deflector concept I envision is not my preferred solution, but I'm really limited here, and have yet to determine its legality. But starting at .88cd, anything will be an improvement I suspect.
Old 10-20-2023, 02:35 AM   #189 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bluebird body?

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that bulged roof (which is gorgeous) is mainly just an aero solution, as I see no real use space wise for any good utilization on that increase in internal volume it offers.
Well, of course. It's purely to fill the hole that windshield makes in the air.

Don't know about you, but I'd appreciate the extra headroom. My abode has a 6' 4" ceiling. If I want to stretch my arms I have to be sitting down.

If it has that recess above the windshield for the blinky lights, You could cut it back and add a rolled pan to get some curvature.

Old 10-20-2023, 08:05 AM   #190 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Since the unit will find itself trackside at as many road races as possible, it will have an 8x12' roof mounted viewing platform at the leading edge, with 2800 Watts of solar covering the rest of the roof. So, no Curvature possible for this bus.
If I mucked up this worthy thread, I'm sorry. I'll consider deleting this entire diversion if the consensus leans that way.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
cda list